any good uses for CRC 5-56?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a gallon a few years ago thinking about using it to spray the outside of boat engine to protect against corrosion. I've never used it though. I'm afraid to spray the engine as there are too many rubber hoses and I'm afraid this stuff eats rubber.

What is this a good for it in cars or boats?

I looked up MSDS and it's mainly kerosene with some mineral oil and corrosion inhibitor.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
So, the consensus here is that CRC 5-56 is useless?

Concluding such a consensus seems to over-extrapolate.

no it's definitely not useless, it is like WD40 just smells a bit more. Very popular in Europe as a "problem solver", spray and most things work better for a while.
Use it to drive out moisture and lube locks, ignition parts and so on.
It would work as you describe. If you spray the engine, it would protect and also creep into cracks in the paint. However, the Quicksilver corrosion protect spray may be better (and a bit more $$)
Remember it is very thin oil, will not last forever on that engine.

Originally Posted By: lars11
no it's definitely not useless, it is like WD40 just smells a bit more. Very popular in Europe as a "problem solver", spray and most things work better for a while.
Use it to drive out moisture and lube locks, ignition parts and so on.
It would work as you describe. If you spray the engine, it would protect and also creep into cracks in the paint. However, the Quicksilver corrosion protect spray may be better (and a bit more $$)
Remember it is very thin oil, will not last forever on that engine.

Thanks! Would you spray it on rubber hosed or cables or protect them from the spray? I had a lot of rubber things turning bad after contact with oils or solvents.

Usually engine hoses are resistant to oil... thus, engine hoses.

It would eat the belt in a tape recorder for example, but not likely a vacuum line.

I would say to put it in a squirt bottle and utilize it like WD-40.

Did you mean CRC 6-56? Im not sure I have run across the 5-56. If so I have used the 6-56 with great results.

Ive used it to spray all under the cowlings of outboards for years and have never had an issue with it destroying hoses. Most of the time it was just twice a year application on outboards that were slipped in salt water all year and they always looked like new. The only corrosion that ever formed using this system was a tiny bit of surface corrosion on a lifting lug from when the dealer adjusted the height of the engine with a chain hoist and they did not treat with anything afterwards.

Just my experience.

I sprayed up my new engine for the winter with it and probably by the time spring comes it will be gone. Can't hurt.

no it will protect. 6-56 is a marine spay, 5-56 is the all round.
5-56.
http://www.crcindustries.com/crcwebmain/

FUNCTIONALITIES : Lubricants

Multipurpose service spray. Loosens rusted parts. Displaces moisture, enables to start wet engines, prevents electrical failure. Lubricates, stops squeaks and squeals, frees sticking mechanisms. Protects metals against humidity, corrosive atmosphere and prevents rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back