Shell Helix Ultra vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there guys this is my first post!

I just have 1 simple question. Due to the place where i live, it is extremely HARD to find quality oil (Yeah, i'm in a third world country) and the only "good" ones that i can find that are fully synthetic are Shell Helix Ultra and Mobil 1, now the problem is the PRICE. The cheapest i could find for the Helix Ultra is 9.50$ USD a quart and for the Mobil 1 12.71$ a quart (I could get a few % discount on this one but not much).

Which one would you recommend guys?
I'm really in a hurry to change the oil since the last time the guy put some cheapo repsol in the machine and i just noticed this after 8000 KM on the odo and the card was basically a garage queen for about 2 months with casual drives 2 times a week, i'm really sure that oil in there must be have already turned into [censored].

Thanks
Once the decision has been made i'll be getting the oil next Tuesday.

Last edited:
Both are good oils. Which specific grades are we talking about here? What vehicle/engine? How often are you planning to change the oil?

I vote for shell.
welcome2.gif
to the site!

For Mobil 1 0W-40 and Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 both meets BMW LL-01 specs which is the minimum requirement i'm looking for. (Yeah i got an 525i N52)

I would need at least 7 quarts + filter + labor it's pretty expensive @_@

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
I vote for shell.
welcome2.gif
to the site!

Thanks man, i really hope to learn a lot here.

Last edited:
Thats not a hard change at all. The filter is on top, you just nee the filter cap to change it. The cover should have an access port for the drain plug, which is a 17mm. If you get an OE filter or equivalent, youll get a new crush washer as well as filter gaskets. Theres even large jack pads underneath the body so you cant miss where to jack and support it. Save a little on labor.

Originally Posted By: Noobie

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
I vote for shell.
welcome2.gif
to the site!

Thanks man, i really hope to learn a lot here.

Dont worry, you will!

Been looking on how to get the tools required to do the changes myself but they're hard to get
laugh.gif

Just look at it, i had to go to more than 5 places just to find Mobil 1 and it's overpriced, all other places only have Shell Helix Ultra. There's not even full synthetic Castrol here, just the NA version of Edge Syntec which is lame according to what i've read. 95% of the oils available here are dino or blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back