Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30

And as an aside, is there even any technical substance to the "Ferrari approval" or is it merely a marketing agreement? I have never seen any specifics to this supposed approval.

Not that it really matters I guess. If I had such an expensive vehicle I'd just go to the dealer for the oil, assuming I was even changing it myself in the first place :)

And as an aside, is there even any technical substance to the "Ferrari approval" or is it merely a marketing agreement? I have never seen any specifics to this supposed approval.

Not that it really matters I guess. If I had such an expensive vehicle I'd just go to the dealer for the oil, assuming I was even changing it myself in the first place :)
I think it's something. When the regular PP Euro lost the Ferrari "approval" they actually introduced this PP Racing 5W-40 with the Ferrari approval. Apparently this is what Ferrari dealers stock now according to their forums. Maybe it's the same oil or the old formula, who knows.

There has been a technical exchange/partnership (and marketing) with the companies since the 1990s. Shell even has a portable lab during F1 testing and races to evaluate fuel and oil. Shell has posted about the collaboration in their advertising:

There are Shell fluids specified for coolant, transaxle, brake, power steering and F1 hydraulics. I don't know that any of them are special to Ferrari. The only one I hear negatives about on the forums is the brake fluid. If not changed at least every two years, it can gel and solidify and a mess to flush out. Many independent service providers will substitute with an alternate brake fluid not prone to this problem.

Last edited:
Back