fuel filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
my dad's mercury colony park, 1991 w 100k miles, was feeling anemic so one day, i bought Wix fuel filter and installed it (easy to do on american cars) and wow-car is a rocket again! my dad hadn't changed it in a very long time-over 5 years. i bought an AutoExtra from ebay (this is a wix for $6) and a motorcraft, as i plan to change this yearly and recommend to everyone on here to do.

good idea
wink.gif
I typically change mine out every 30k....easy as pie on the older vehicles. Lots of the newer vehicles have "life time" fuel filters, integrated in/at the fuel pump....

Service interval on my TDI is 20k, and I change my Avalon at 30k.
I don't think your regimen is out of line at all.

Don't say American vehicles have an easy to change fuel filter. Not all at least. My 93 Suburban has an inline filter in the frame area. Where road salt and dirt get blasted all over it. If it has not been changed on a regular basis, good luck. And yes it also has a "sock" strainer in the tank before the fuel pump. But that is just to keep rust, etc from damaging the pump. Both are important.

Ford vehicles are easy. My Dodge has a lifetime one in fuel tank so i cant change it. I remember my Buick had one inline, toward back near fuel tank and was a nightmare to change...so i stand corrected. I am thankful it was easy on my dad's mercury.

Alot of people never think to change this basic part.....

mechtech2, is there a way you could a couple of relevant record fuel system PSI(cold, after driving etc) before and after replacing the fuel filter?

Thanks.
grin2.gif

before changing spark plugs and adding gas additives, just change this simple filter...you'll see how much better the car performs.

THERE IS ALOT OF CRUD IN GASOLINE

does the colony park have a fuel line going from the frame to the fuel pump on the engine? if so. did you check the fuel hose to see if its cracked. this happens on older fuel hoses

fuel filters are an overlooked filter by many people. i was amazed at the junk that it filtered from my gas tank.........it is such a vital part!!!!! i am changing it yearly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back