Lexus RX330 Correct Oil and Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a two part question. First, I have a March 29, 2006 Toyota TSB that says 5W-20 oil can be used on Toyota MZ engines. The TSB specifically specifies which Toyota models this applies to, including 2006 Highlander. But it does not list any Lexus vehicles such as Highlander's cousin, my 2006 RX330 with the same MZ engine. The manual and oil cap calls for 5W-30, but the car was built before this TSB.

The second question is how can I extend the oil change interval to 10000 miles? We have 4 cars (teenagers!) and I cannot do the work myself. I'd rather pay more for synthetic oil if I can eliminate trips to the oil change mechanic. The required interval is 5000 miles but I'm out of warranty so this is not an issue. Currently I am running Mobil 1 5W-20 with about 6500 miles on it and 41,000 total vehicle miles. This is the first time I've not run dino 5W-30 and changed at 5000 miles. I just sent my first sample to Blackstone, but I'd like some confirmation of what I am doing from you experienced guys. Thanks!

Last edited:
By the way, I'm in Pittsburgh. Very rare to have days with temps over 90 degrees. Also rare below zero, but zero to 30 degrees F is typical Jan-Mar. Almost all driving is city with 1 or 2 highway trips/year.

I'd use 5w-30, but you'd probably never notice a difference using 5w-20. As far as 10k mi. OCIs - Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Ultra, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge - any of those can theoretically go 10,000 miles.

Make sure that motor isn't a known sludger first - if it is, change the oil following the "severe service" schedule.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JRed
I'd use 5w-30, but you'd probably never notice a difference using 5w-20. As far as 10k mi. OCIs - Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Ultra, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge - any of those can theoretically go 10,000 miles.

Make sure that motor isn't a known sludger first - if it is, change the oil following the "severe service" schedule.

+1.....agree with the above....but my choice would be Mobil 1 5w20EP....which M1 gurantees for up to 15K.

Personally....I would not exceed an OCI of 12K.

If I'm gonna do that, why can't I used Mobil 1 0W-20?

Which now sums this up to THREE questions:
1. Can someone verify the Toyota TSB that allows 5W-20 instead of 5W-30 also applies to Lexus with the same engine?
2. And if so could I instead use 0W-20?
3. If so can I go 10K on synthetic 5W-20 or 0w-20?

There are so many Toyotas and Lexi out there. SOMEONE has to be able to confirm/deny this.

You mentioned you only do two hwy (easier on oil) trips per year and the rest is city (harder on the oil). How long are these city trips? If they are relatively short, like 2-6 miles, and then I wouldn't do a long OCI.

If your engine permits 5W-20 and then 0W-20 will run perfectly fine. I'd call the Lexus dealership about the 20 vs 30. Honestly, it really wont make much of a difference. Also, as JRed mentioned, ensure your engine isn't a sludger, because then you will be doing short OCI's.

Frankly I was hoping someone HERE knows if my engine is a sludger. I know the old body style RX300 was. But I think (hope) the 2004-6 RX330 are OK as we'll as the 2007-current RX350.

Originally Posted By: Daryll
If I'm gonna do that, why can't I used Mobil 1 0W-20?
Which now sums this up to THREE questions:
1. Can someone verify the Toyota TSB that allows 5W-20 instead of 5W-30 also applies to Lexus with the same engine?
2. And if so could I instead use 0W-20?
3. If so can I go 10K on synthetic 5W-20 or 0w-20?
There are so many Toyotas and Lexi out there. SOMEONE has to be able to confirm/deny this.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Additionally, while there is nothing wrong with M1 0W-20 the ideal choice would be the EOM made Toyota 0W-20. Due to it's much higher 216 VI it is much lighter on start-up, not just in the winter but year round.

Just do like I was thinking ( for a while anyway ) get the 5qt jug of Motorcraft 5W20 from Wal Mart. The reason I have not done this is mine is a 2005. Although honestly, I dont think there is any difference at all between the two years. BTW, the sludge problem was supposedly fixed by the 04 model year. (3.3`s)

Last edited:
^^^ Another note re; the MZ engine family. These engines are not easy on oil, so keep that in mind when choosing motor oils.

Lexus114, specifically thanks for replying since we have the same vehicle (with just 1 model year difference). I thought the Motorcraft oil you mentioned was dino oil. ?? I want to extend the change period to 10K miles so that would not work...right? Also, don't our Lexi require 5.8 quarts? So you need to buy a "stray" quart in addition to the 5 gal jug. Unless you want to stretch the "stray" 5 gal jug over 6 oil changes. ??

Also, as mentioned I sent a sample to Blackstone 8 days ago. I put five 45 cent US Postage stamps on the plastic jar and mailed it. So far I've heard nothing. Will they contact me by the Email address I sent? So far I noticed that they have not "dinged" my credit card for the fee. I wonder if it got lost/delayed in the mail?

At any rate, I will be sure to post the UOA analysis here when (if) I get the results.

Originally Posted By: Daryll
Lexus114, specifically thanks for replying since we have the same vehicle (with just 1 model year difference). I thought the Motorcraft oil you mentioned was dino oil. ?? I want to extend the change period to 10K miles so that would not work...right? Also, don't our Lexi require 5.8 quarts? So you need to buy a "stray" quart in addition to the 5 gal jug. Unless you want to stretch the "stray" 5 gal jug over 6 oil changes. ??

Motorcraft oil is a Synthetic blend made by Conoco-Phillips. If your RX is the 330, it takes 5qts even.

By the way, maybe someone could explain, in layman's terms, why 0w-20 would also be ok where 5W-20 is ok. What's the real-world difference between "o" and "5".

Last edited:
lexus114,
if you drive 1-2 miles a pop, 10,000 miles could be too long inteval. Use the best oils and change oil every 1 year at miniumum. This is what Toyota now recommends on its new cars with Toyota's 0W20 synthetic.

This is what I started doing with my 3 toyotas (1 new, 2 older). However I keep using 5W30 in the older ones. Mostly due to my climate being hotter than yours.

Have a look here

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2144765&page=1

If you right click on the chart the select 'view image' it should get bigger.

No Lexus vehicles listed, but the 2006 Highlander had the same engine as your Lexus. Per the chart you can run 0w20, 5w20 or 5w30.

I run Toyota 0w20 in my RX400h. 170 000km and it hasn't self destructed.

When it comes to the MZ series being hard on oil - both the 3.0 and the 3.3 are MZ series, but I believe only the 3.0 was hard on oil. It was a known sludger. The 3.3 is not known for sludge.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes I have that chart too. Yet it doesn't specifically address Lexus. And the Mar 29, 2006 TSB that I have, but don't know how to post, allows for 5W-20 but doesn't mention 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back