2 cycle oil mix ratio help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ulless your talking outboards or saws or dirtbikes I thinks its all a moot point. A V6 Evinrude would be something Id think twice about what oil and how much - but a string trimmer ?!

In a two stroke the need for lube changes with air temp, and rpm. At 2000 rpms I'm sure any air cooled 2stroke ope would last a long long time at 300:1. But at wot is where the lube requirements change. I personally have never had any premature failures, or excessive plug/port fouling from anything. I mix quality oil/fuel, and have always stuck with the oem recommendations. I see no real "need" to change things. Then again I do see the desire to only have one mix on hand. Until now I've never tried anything lean, but I will come out of my shell next month. Johnny is going to bring me an opti blister pack to try out. I'm not worried about it, but the proof will indeed be in the ballistics.

Quattro: The minute you said (Sabre oil) "is more concentrated" you lost the debate.

Premix 2 cycle oil may be somewhat predilutted, but it is not the amount of "Oil" in the lube that determines the mfgs recomendations for the premix ratio. It is a combination of factors which HEAVILY favor the design and construction of the engine itself. Thus you really NEED to follow the mfgs instructions for the premix ratio. Do you think the "oil injection" 2 strokes change the ratio of injection when you fill the tank with that fancy 100:1 oil? Never happen.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Quattro: The minute you said (Sabre oil) "is more concentrated" you lost the debate.

Premix 2 cycle oil may be somewhat predilutted,

So I said that one oil may be more concentrated. And you said the other oil is more diluted. Aren't you basically saying the same thing then?

Quote:
Do you think the "oil injection" 2 strokes change the ratio of injection when you fill the tank with that fancy 100:1 oil? Never happen.

Why would they need to change the ratio of injection? If you use a more concentrated oil, then by default more of it gets into the combustion chamber with every drop of premixed fuel.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
Johnny is going to bring me an opti blister pack to try out. I'm not worried about it, but the proof will indeed be in the ballistics.

Actually, I'm going to bring you two or three of the blister packs. See you next Wednesday morning.

Johnny, the Opti 2 mix says it is a "one mix for all applications" product and they recommend it to be used at 70:1 (1.8 oz. per gal. gas)..

Do you follow the Opti instructions or the equipment manufacturer's instructions? I.E. Stihl is 50:1.

And, to the old timers here: Remember back in the 1970's +/- when Homelites ran at 16:1? Would you use a product like Stihl's oil at 16:1 in the old Homelight?

Forty years ago, 2T oil likely didn't provide the protection that modern oils do. Despite that acknowledgment, I don't think that the same leap of protection is there with synthetic oils over modern conventional oil used in modern engines.

I'm not saying that synthetic oils cannot be mixed at higher ratios. Many participants claim that they run their air cooled engines at 100:1 using synthetic oil. However, that does not mean that it's doing as good a job or better than a manufacturers recommended ratio for their engine.

I have engines that require ratios from 25:1 to 50:1 in air cooled engines and 100:1 in liquid cooled engines. I have no problems with 50:1 in engines that require 50:1 but will not run that ratio in older engines requiring more oil. I will run an old 25:1 engine with a 35:1 to 40:1 using modern oil because the oil is simply that much better. I'm not comfortable at all running a modern 50:1 air cooled engine at 100:1.

Despite the oil company's claims, my experience with and knowledge of two cycle engines does not lend me to push a hot running, high revving engine with skimpy lubrication. A slight lean condition producing considerably more heat could be detrimental with such a thin mix where a bit more oil would help the engine survive.

My limit in modern air cooled engines is 50:1. Due to my mix of engines, I generally keep one container of mixed fuel with a ratio of 35 to 40:1 for everything.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: propuckstopper

With all due respect, I disagree.
You have the right to do so. This subject was discussed at length here in the past if you do a search.

Quote:
The guy who builds the particular equipment should be the guy you listen to regarding mix ratios. In others words, if Stihl says to mix their trimmers at 50:1, then you should follow that advice in lieu of what is printed on the side of an oil bottle.

You may want to pay more attention to the wording in your Stihl owner's manual. I've got two pieces of Stihl equipment, and both of them just say that if you're using Stihl 2-cycle oil (which they obviously recommend), then you should mix it at 50:1 ratio. They don't say what ratio should be used if you're using someone else's oil.

Another example is fuel additives/system cleaners for your car. Have you noticed that different ones should be added into your tank in different proportions? Wonder why?

Quote:

If Amsoil figures their Sabre is good enough to run at 100:1, then I know it will definitely be good enough (better) at the Stihl recommended ratio of 50:1.

My guess is that Sabre is more concentrated, so you need to use less of it. Why do you assume that more oil is better? By the same logic, if 50:1 is better than 100:1, then surely 5:1 should be even better than 50:1, right?

Too much oil can foul your plugs and possibly cause other issues.

Sorry Quattro Pete. We will just have to disagree here based on your comment above. I never implied "more oil is better". I am saying that the recommended ratio provided by the equipment manufacturer is the one that should be followed, regardless of what you may think the "concentration" level of a given two-stroke oil is. Even Amsoil, which I use regardless but at 50:1.

You talk about me implying that if I think 50:1 is better than 100:1, then I must think that 5:1 is better than 50:1. Absolutely incorrect, Quattro Pete. I think that 50:1 is better than 100:1 because that is what the Stihl engineers told me to use. If Stihl thought 5:1 was better than 50:1, then that is what they would recommend. Surely they don't, however, because of spark plug fouling and exhaust blockage issues.

Please remember, Quattro Pete, that I am not currently using nor suggesting to use "more" oil. I am using 50:1, just like the guy that built the equipment said to do. If the 100:1 Amsoil Saber is more concentrated as you suggest, then that is great. I guess I am then using a fantastic oil at the equipment manufacturer's suggested mix ratio. I don't see any other logical path.

Last edited:
Here is how I remember it. When mixing 1 gallon of gas.Going from memory
smile.gif

6oz of oil is 20:1
4oz of oil is 32:1
3oz of oil is 40:1
2oz of oil is 64:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back