Moved from NY to Pittsburgh PA -Ethanol Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
In NY, ethanol is YEAR ROUND 10% (unless you can find a nice Native American gas station, or Marina)

I moved to Pittsburgh PA a few weeks ago and my car seems to like the fuel better- (Sunoco in NY vs. Sunoco PA)

Is the Ethanol in PA only during the summer months??? -This is the only explanation I can come up with... Although, now that I think of it, the refineries are likely to be different AND therefor additives slightly different. BUT I am using multiple stations, in each city -So the theory that I simply got "bad gas" from one station seems unlikely.

Your insight is welcome !

There are all kinds of regional blends. That said, with ethanol subsidies, I bet its cheaper for them to blend in 10% then to not. I travel all over and it seems like 10% ethanol (or "up to 10%") is everywhere.

Not sure, but it would be nice to know. I know that Northern Ontario gas stations get non-ethanol fuel for the cold winter months. Southern Ontario get E10 year round in the 87 reg blend.

The more research I do on ethanol the more I want it to go away.

Ethanol is year round in PA, only a hand full of stations are E0. Winter gas should be coming out soon, if it isn't out already. No E0 stations near PGH. http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=PA

Ethanol content, no matter the amount, must be labeled on the pumps in PA by law, but I find that law loosely enforced.

Correct, Pennsylvania is E10 year-round. I believe the winter blend fuel mix starts popping up in October if I remember right.

Last edited:
How do the Native Americans get un-ethanol gas? I can't imagine a distribution system just for them.

Or is it assumed, because their laws don't require labelling?

I recall a very short patch on I-90 in upstate NY... I missed the exit, as I really wanted to visit. Understand it's full serve and you live like a king with guys washing your windshield, checking oil, real old school.

My vehicles also seam to run better on Sunoco here in Pittsburgh PA. In the past the gas that had bad performance was Gulf and BP. Since the oil spill BP stations have renamed. I wonder if gas in PGH is blended for the hills we have to climb all the time?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
How do the Native Americans get un-ethanol gas? I can't imagine a distribution system just for them.

Or is it assumed, because their laws don't require labelling?

I recall a very short patch on I-90 in upstate NY... I missed the exit, as I really wanted to visit. Understand it's full serve and you live like a king with guys washing your windshield, checking oil, real old school.

I think you may be thinking of a place between Rochester and Buffalo.

Here is a link I found for Non ethanol gas stations ENJOY !

http://pure-gas.org/

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
My vehicles also seam to run better on Sunoco here in Pittsburgh PA. In the past the gas that had bad performance was Gulf and BP. Since the oil spill BP stations have renamed. I wonder if gas in PGH is blended for the hills we have to climb all the time?

I thought it was odd myself that I moved to such a hill laden area yet my MPGs remained the same or improved !

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

I thought it was odd myself that I moved to such a hill laden area yet my MPGs remained the same or improved !

Your tires and brakes will wear out is half the miles you were use to. And it is a good idea to change your trany fluid and filter every 24 to 30 K miles with these hills. And if you tow a trany cooler is almost a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back