Prefilling oil filters: not good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food for thought:

If new oil is so clean, why do the transmission exchange machines have filters on the input side, where they are only in contact with new oil?

AND, why do the shops that have them come to me for replacement filters when their flow rate drops? (Usually around 300 to 500 gallons of new oil.)

I have never seen any visible dirt in new oil. With brand name oil bottled by automated equipment in a factory with quality controls in place, I think the risk of dirt contamination is low. Now if we are talking about bulk oil handled outside of the factory by idiots who simply do not care, then I would be concerned about dirt contamination.

One of my Ducati service references states not to pre-fill the filter full; only half way. Risk of hydro-locking the oiling system is the reason.

Originally Posted By: George7941
I have never seen any visible dirt in new oil. With brand name oil bottled by automated equipment in a factory with quality controls in place, I think the risk of dirt contamination is low. Now if we are talking about bulk oil handled outside of the factory by idiots who simply do not care, then I would be concerned about dirt contamination.

+1 Bulk oil would be more likely to contain dirt, which is why I avoid quick lube places. I think we are comparing apples to horse shoes here.

On the Ferrari 308 GT4 the filter is upside down, and has a standpipe, most of use use the Baldwin. How would you go about pre-filling a filter with a standpipe that is mounted right side up or in most cases upside down!

Rob

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
One of my Ducati service references states not to pre-fill the filter full; only half way. Risk of hydro-locking the oiling system is the reason.

I don't understand what "hydrolocking the oiling system" means.

MANY older motorcycles and ATVs dont even use oil filters. My 1984 atc110 uses a screen the mesh size of a window screen. Imagine what oil was like in 1984, and that engine goes back to 1969. so imagine oil in 1969 as far as cleanliness let alone now. I had the engine apart last year for a rebuild after 25 years of being all original. The engine looked great and could have kept going to be honest. Oil filtration is not important if you keep the engine oil clean IMO. changing the oil often enough would result in not needing an oil filter IMO. So a half quart of oil going into the engine unfiltered wont do a thing. it will get filtered after the first oil cycle anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kilou
Hi,

I found this here: http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf (page 19)

"You should not pre-fill the filter unless you do it from the outer ring holes. Any oil that goes into the center will reach the engine unfiltered (and there is no cleanliness standard for new oils)."

Does this make sense?

That is without a doubt one of the most RIDICULOUS statements I've ever heard. There may not be a "cleanliness" standard for new oil, but on the other hand you certainly will never "clean up" new oil using a filter with the particle size limitations of an automotive oil filter. If new oil had junk that big in it, a) we'd all know, b) engines without oil filters like lawn/garden engines would die immediately, and c) car engines would suffer on the first startup when the filter goes into bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back