Fuel Gauge Misread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TedSexington
Ive heard about fuel additives like this can free a stuck fuel gauge
Maybe, but one in a thousand chance.

I think he is referring to the build up of sulfur on the sensor in the tank. I MIGHT work, techron does have the proper chemical detergency to achieve this IF it is actually the problem. This was epidemic back in the early, middle and late 90s for sure. Most cars built since the last couple of years during the 90s and later should have no problem at all with this issue. If the car is later than MY 2000 the problem lies elsewhere.

Last edited:
It took 2 bottles, but Techron cleaned up and fixed the fuel sending unit in my 2004 Chevy Venture. It was sticking, and if it wasn't sticking it was reading wrong or just plain going haywire. All's good now, and from what I've read and experienced you've got much better odds than 1 in 1000 as to it working, but I would still regard it as a long shot, but one definitely worth trying.

I used the big bottles.

Yeah I was informing a MDX forum member to give fuel additive a try such as Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner, Gumout Regane, or Redline SI-1. However another member informed him it can do more harm then good. But I suggest to do the cheap fix first then move to a more expensive fix. But one of a members was a ASE mechanic telling him my advice will do more harm.

pfftt....lol I know they "go to school" and they get beat into their heads, their is no "mechanic in a bottle" but really, some of these mechanic in a bottle solutions DO in fact WORK.....in fact, go to Google and enter

"chevron concentrate" fuel gauge

as a query, you will find many bandwagons of supporters (surprisingly, lots of Corvette posts...) who have had the Chevron Techron Concentrate (black bottle with the long pour spout) "fix" their fouled/dirty fuel senders....and yes, the typical problem seems to be carbon/sulfur build up....

I've also heard maintenance doses of Marvel Mystery Oil will work to _keep_ the fuel sending unit clean as well, so the sulfur can not "build up" likely due to the light oily film it leaves behind when used 1-4 oz. per 10 gallons of fuel.

But if you already HAVE a problem, I'd opt for 2 back-to-back doses of Chevron Techron Concentrate since it seems to be the most "famous" solution for fixing fouled fuel sending units
smile.gif

What "harm" mechanics think would be brought by double dosage of Techron etc? I do them routinely and so far I have not encountered any "harm" to my vehicles.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: ahoier
pfftt....lol I know they "go to school" and they get beat into their heads, their is no "mechanic in a bottle" but really, some of these mechanic in a bottle solutions DO in fact WORK.....in fact, go to Google and enter

"chevron concentrate" fuel gauge

as a query, you will find many bandwagons of supporters (surprisingly, lots of Corvette posts...) who have had the Chevron Techron Concentrate (black bottle with the long pour spout) "fix" their fouled/dirty fuel senders....and yes, the typical problem seems to be carbon/sulfur build up....

I've also heard maintenance doses of Marvel Mystery Oil will work to _keep_ the fuel sending unit clean as well, so the sulfur can not "build up" likely due to the light oily film it leaves behind when used 1-4 oz. per 10 gallons of fuel.

But if you already HAVE a problem, I'd opt for 2 back-to-back doses of Chevron Techron Concentrate since it seems to be the most "famous" solution for fixing fouled fuel sending units
smile.gif

2004 MDX Fuel Pump
This is his response

Originally Posted By: TedSexington
MDX Fuel Pump[/url]
This is his response

I think his response is pretty spot on. In his threads he covers all the bases by admitting that harm from additives is rare and that sometimes additives are effective. He certainly does not have his head in the sand.

You seem to be the one that messed up, IF it is true that when the fuel pump was replaced, a new fuel sender was installed also.

In that case, an additive would be useless regarding the gas gauge problem. I think he was not out of line defending his anti "mechanic in a bottle" argument in this case. Again, he covered his bases as stated above.

The only fault I found in his statement was the recommendation to use good non-ethanol fuel....that's almost impossible in many areas. And......his need to cite his credentials is often a red flag of someone not confident in themselves. BUT, in this case he was not pompous and did it correctly in supporting his argument.

My vote goes to SuperTech. The idea that a fuel additive might correct a NEW fuel sensor does not make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back