Toyota oem brake pads and discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
who makes Toyota OEM pads and rotors?
I am trying to decide between the toyota dealer and my normal mechanic (who uses NAPA) . He had two do overs due to bad NAPA parts

The Toyota OEM pads and rotors are superior for that application. The independent can install factory parts.

What is the year and model of your Toyota? It can differ. OEM suppliers include Aisin, Sumitomo, Nissin, etc. It can and does vary depending on application. Beck-Arnley is often a re-branded OEM part, or at least the OEM supplier if not the exact same factory part.

Be careful, there's now two lines of Genuine Toyota pads.

There is the TCMC line that includes shims and grease, and are sold for about $30-$40/set. Those are cheaper pads that are marketed for the aftermarket and you do not want these; my local dealer back home said they stopped carrying these due to many comebacks.

The "real" Toyota pads do not include shims or grease and are priced closer to $50/set. If you no longer have the original shims, you'll need to purchase a new shim kit which can cost $10-$40/axle.

Went through this last year with my 2006 Camry. have the dealer change the brakes or have your mechanic use toyota OEM parts.

My mechanic went through 2 tries and finally just used Toyota parts. He also used NAPA.

Rock Auto says this:

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0891658 OE PADS
Pad Mfg. Sumitomo; Front

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0891741 OE PADS
Pad Mfg. Sumitomo; Pad Mfg. Advics; Rear

It looks like Sumitomo makes the front and rear pads; Advics also appears to be a supplier for the rear pads. The Beck/Arnley pads are probably the ones I'd use if you don't buy at a Toyota dealer. The fronts are $40 and the rears are $32.

I bought Beck/Arnley pads for our MDX and have had zero issues with them. As I recall, they were Advics on the front and Nissin on the rear. They appeared to be exactly the same as the original pads that I took off. I have had issues with aftermarket brakes before, and I'm done with 3rd party brake pads.

Sorry, can't help on the rotors. Any quality rotor should suffice. I put the Prostop rotors from Pep Boys on the MDX and am happy with those. They have a black painted coating on the hat part of the rotor and it does keep it free of corrosion. They're very nice.

Yes, you can get your independent guy to use real Toyota stuff, the reason the independent guys usually don't use dealer stuff because it would cost more.

Toyota brake parts are excellent, far superior to any NAPA stuff I end up with.

At Toy dealer today
- service person said TMCM parts are not as good as OEM.
PArts guy said: they fit fine but pads composition is not as good (wear, noise, stopping) as OEM. cheaper, to compete with parts houses.

do they make 2 quality levels of rotors?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back