Mobil 1 - no longer meets MS 6395?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished an oil change - took for granted that Mobil 1 5w-20 still meets MS 6395.

MS 6395 no longer shows on the bottle, checked the Mobil 1 website, and its missing from the spec sheet too. Sent an email to Mobil asking if its just an omission.

Probably going to PP or PU.

A heads up to other Mopar owners.

I just got a jug of 5w20 at Meijers a few weeks ago to put in my caravan next oil change, changing out Valvoline Durablend, will have to check the jug and see what it says. Did Chrysler say the new spec was approved too?

Chrysler used to use it as their FF. XOM and Chrysler had a parting of ways. They used the stuff in their top vehicles I am sure it is more than adequate but if you feel shaky about it use a SOPUS product. It is just the lowest bidder my friend. I would not hesitate to use M1 5w20.

Originally Posted By: dakota99
iirc MS6395 was basically the equivalent of the latest API spec. So the mobil 1 is probably fine.

Yep, your good.

Thanks for all the replies.

Called the Mobil 800 # (they never answered the web inquiry), their response was they took MS6395 off the bottle as the spec is outdated.

Checked the Ram website, and the 2011 owners manuals still mention the MS6395 requirement.

Next oil change will be PP or PU - had good luck with PP in my Jeep.

Originally Posted By: RRMan
Thanks for all the replies.

Called the Mobil 800 # (they never answered the web inquiry), their response was they took MS6395 off the bottle as the spec is outdated.

Checked the Ram website, and the 2011 owners manuals still mention the MS6395 requirement.

Next oil change will be PP or PU - had good luck with PP in my Jeep.

The 2011 requirement was for a SM GF 4 oil. SN GF 5 oils just came out this spring.Thats why MS 6395 in outdated. Some of the GM specs are now outdated as well since SN oils came out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back