Best 5/10w50 oil for winter, high RPM/high oil temperatures. Lowest outside temp -10F.

It looks like an excellent oil. My only concern is with difficulty of having to special order it given the frequency at which the oil has to be changed. The EA81 I used to own in an 83 Brat was quite a bit less harsh on oil, but it was a near stock, lower revving engine. While this shorter stroke EA71S is essentially maxed out as far as it will go without forced induction. If I can extend the intervals a bit without it thinning out too much, the special ordering would not be as much of a concern. How does the 5W40 do in your EA81? Any issues with shear or thinning out too much by the end of the OCI? Obviously comparing two completely different engines but from the same family. And the second question would be how do you find their shipping?
The 5w40 seems to be doing well so far. I must say I have not completed a full oci with it yet. 1,000 miles into it however oil pressure indicated is exactly the same where with previous oils it would've been a little lower by now. I find their shipping to be fast and trouble free. I order it and 2 days later it arrives in a sturdy well sized box. If I had an engine maxed out (or not) I have peace of mind knowing HPL is in the crankcase.

My daily driver is a 79 Subaru DL with an EA71S engine swapped in. That is a 1.6l flat 4, pushrod engine, high compression (12:1-13:1ish), low tension rings, naturally aspirated, gear drive cam, long cam duration (around 305/305 advertised). Powerband is around 4000-6700 RPM, cruising RPM is around 3500-4000 usually. Does not have an oil cooler, and has large bearing clearances. Oil temp tends to run at around 102C on the highway, but can reach as high as 130C. Likes a 50 or 60wt oil. Driven 90-95% highway, long distances. In winter I tend to run M1 FS X2 5W50. Mainly because it's easy to find. Does well for cold starts but seems to start shearing or getting thin at around 3000mi. By 5000 it is no longer usable in this engine and has to be changed (hot oil pressure too low). Been thinking about trying another oil. Molygen 5W50 looks attractive but not sure if it will really perform any better than the M1. The Kohler 10W50 small engine oil is also easy to find at Tractor Supply and has good specs. Ravenol makes a 10W50, so does HPL, and there are various motorcycle 10w50s and thin 15w50s. HPL and Amsoil also have 5W50s. There is also the ZO6 Corvette 5W50, M1 Supercar. What do you guys think will perform the best, while also not being outrageously difficult to find. Here are some spec sheets:
View attachment 184121View attachment 184122View attachment 184123View attachment 184124View attachment 184125View attachment 184126View attachment 184127View attachment 184128
View attachment 184129View attachment 184130
From these data sheets, the 10W50 Kohler Pro oil looks surprisingly good, especially for how easily available it is. The NOACK is quite low, the HTHS looks good, although the KV100 is a bit low. The Molygen is reasonably priced, has a high KV100, but has a high NOACK and unknown HTHS. Ravenol RSE has a great HTHS, good NOACK, and decent KV100, but is hard to find. Same with RRS but specs not quite as good. Both the HPL 10W50 and 5W50 look excellent, just have to be special ordered. Maybe if they have good shipping I would be willing to go that route. The Amsoil 5W50 also looks attractive, and NAPA right down the street is an Amsoil dealer. The Motorex oils look downright amazing with NOACK
Amsoil Signature Series 5w50

But, but, the “difficulty of ordering”…

I’ve ordered many cases of Amsoil, and many cases of HPL. With on-line ordering, it really isn’t an issue with either company.
Or, just pick up the phone and call Mary Jane. You can also email if you’re averse to chatting with people.

It’s literally easier than using a Walmart pickup app, because you don’t even have to get off the couch!

HPL 10W50 it is. Group IV/V, high HTHS, looks good for cold temp performance, and has an excellent KV100. Decently priced too. Also need to order some of the 10W20 for a friend's Honda Fit. Will order tomorrow because next oil change will be soon. Only thing I was reluctant about with special order oil is that if I do work on the engine (valve adjustment for example, or it blows an oil pump O-ring), and I don't have enough oil, then there isn't any place to buy it anywhere locally. Traditionally in the winter, the oil change intervals have been short because of 5w50 vs 20w50 oil in the summer. If this 10W50 lasts like I think it will, I can use it year round and don't need to have a summer and winter oil. If I order more, it won't be a problem if I neet to top it up. 4X1 gallon should last me through the winter. I will report back about how it runs, what the oil pressures are, when I do the oil change. If it equals the performance of a 15/20w50, it may become the only oil I use for this car.

as long as the low # starts your ride using a closer aka 15-50 will require less VII's. not a racer but my loose 1.8T audi TT about 300 hp shows better oil pressure as well as vacuum + consumes less using Redline 15-50, +just picked up Motul 300V to try just because! rarely used in winter BUT if needed its in my usually cold Pa garage. my 2008 hardly sportster would NOT crank fast enough with ams 20-50 motorcycle oil in my cold rarely heated garage!!

HPL 10W50 it is. Group IV/V, high HTHS, looks good for cold temp performance, and has an excellent KV100. Decently priced too. Also need to order some of the 10W20 for a friend's Honda Fit. Will order tomorrow because next oil change will be soon. Only thing I was reluctant about with special order oil is that if I do work on the engine (valve adjustment for example, or it blows an oil pump O-ring), and I don't have enough oil, then there isn't any place to buy it anywhere locally. Traditionally in the winter, the oil change intervals have been short because of 5w50 vs 20w50 oil in the summer. If this 10W50 lasts like I think it will, I can use it year round and don't need to have a summer and winter oil. If I order more, it won't be a problem if I neet to top it up. 4X1 gallon should last me through the winter. I will report back about how it runs, what the oil pressures are, when I do the oil change. If it equals the performance of a 15/20w50, it may become the only oil I use for this car.
We already know what we know about HPL!

Did you already order the HPL Oil?

My daily driver is a 79 Subaru DL with an EA71S engine swapped in. That is a 1.6l flat 4, pushrod engine, high compression (12:1-13:1ish), low tension rings, naturally aspirated, gear drive cam, long cam duration (around 305/305 advertised). Powerband is around 4000-6700 RPM, cruising RPM is around 3500-4000 usually. Does not have an oil cooler, and has large bearing clearances. Oil temp tends to run at around 102C on the highway, but can reach as high as 130C. Likes a 50 or 60wt oil. Driven 90-95% highway, long distances. In winter I tend to run M1 FS X2 5W50. Mainly because it's easy to find. Does well for cold starts but seems to start shearing or getting thin at around 3000mi. By 5000 it is no longer usable in this engine and has to be changed (hot oil pressure too low). Been thinking about trying another oil. Molygen 5W50 looks attractive but not sure if it will really perform any better than the M1. The Kohler 10W50 small engine oil is also easy to find at Tractor Supply and has good specs. Ravenol makes a 10W50, so does HPL, and there are various motorcycle 10w50s and thin 15w50s. HPL and Amsoil also have 5W50s. There is also the ZO6 Corvette 5W50, M1 Supercar. What do you guys think will perform the best, while also not being outrageously difficult to find. Here are some spec sheets:
View attachment 184121View attachment 184122View attachment 184123View attachment 184124View attachment 184125View attachment 184126View attachment 184127View attachment 184128
View attachment 184129View attachment 184130
From these data sheets, the 10W50 Kohler Pro oil looks surprisingly good, especially for how easily available it is. The NOACK is quite low, the HTHS looks good, although the KV100 is a bit low. The Molygen is reasonably priced, has a high KV100, but has a high NOACK and unknown HTHS. Ravenol RSE has a great HTHS, good NOACK, and decent KV100, but is hard to find. Same with RRS but specs not quite as good. Both the HPL 10W50 and 5W50 look excellent, just have to be special ordered. Maybe if they have good shipping I would be willing to go that route. The Amsoil 5W50 also looks attractive, and NAPA right down the street is an Amsoil dealer. The Motorex oils look downright amazing with NOACK<6, and are not all that hard to find (KTM dealer). No HTHS or NOACK listed for Mobil 1 Supercar 5W50.
I tend to use Mobil 1 since its available locally but from the research i've done HPL is an excellent oil. Not only a strong formulation but keeps your engine squeaky clean on the inside. We even have out or discount code for 15% off
Order from their website advlubrication.com for HPL oil, and use code BITOG15 for 15% off your order.

PS my first official post on here hurray lol!

PAO-based oils will be the best in cold temps, but even GTL is nearly identical down to about -35* where it rapidly solidifies. At -10*F your choice is nearly unnecessary. Buy whatever your heart desires. Even a 10Wxx as long as -10*F is the coldest it gets. 👍🏻

Back