High mileage WRX oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I re-checked my FSM to be sure, but It does say SJ "Energy Conserving" 5W30 for the recommended oil.

I'm not sure about the service manual, but as a past owner of a 2003 WRX, I can tell you for a fact that the 5W-30 recommendation in the owner's manual is qualified "for best fuel economy". The next paragraph goes on to list, as bluesubie says, anything but a 5W-30 if you are going to actually drive the car. 10W-30 through 20W-50 is listed, including straight 30 and 40.

GC is a great choice, which I ran for quite a while. If you want to stick with shorter change intervals, Rotella T5 10W-30 is a great choice. That's what I run in my 2008 LGT. There's no need to go heavier than a 15W40, but you do want to use an oil that has a HTHS viscosity of at least 3.5.

Ed

Here's an interesting tidbit from the owner's manual:

5w-30 is NOT to be used for sustained high-speed driving.
Suggestions are SAE 30, SAE 40, 10w-50 and 20w-50.

With that said, I'm a fan of using Rotella T6 so far. While at first I thought people were on crack for suggesting it (diesel oil etc.), I think it's what's going to make this engine live to 200k on the original turbo and bearings.

While I could list some casual observations here about the oil, I'm going to do the 1st UOA on my car once it hits 4k.

Just a note on NASIOC: the sticky threads are the best on there, with the most reliable info. Most regular posts usually devolve down to flame wars or 4chan grade trolling.

This is one of the more interesting threads where we argued about this:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2140869&highlight=amsoil

If I had to pick another oil, it would be castrol syntec 0w-30.

Hey Ed,

I do actually drive the car and apparently it still does after 0w30 AFE and the current fill of syntec and the previous 5w30 dino oils.

FYI

xw40 not required but not gonna hurt either.

Originally Posted By: Atticus
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
If the M1 5W-30 is the regular stuff, it will probably show a drop in viscosity to a 20 grade but that's normal for most EC oils in severe conditions. Although we're seeing some good data on the GF5 oils.

-Dennis

This is what i am anticipating, and why I am planning to switch. It looks like GC Gold will hold its viscosity much better hopefully. Going on a road trip this weekend, should be a few weeks before I need to change it again though.

Keep an eye on your oil level during the trip. I would even top off with M1 15W-50. A guy on nasioc used to get good uoa's with three qts of M1 10W-30 and two qts of 15W-50. Most of the time it was a 40 grade, but he managed to shear it to a 30 grade on a couple of occasions.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back