2005 Ford Explorer Oxygen Sensor ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC and I am going to be replacing the front Oxygen sensors in the near future and was wondering what is the best brand for this?

OE is bosch, motorcraft branded o2 sensors actually have the bosch p/n engraved on them.
There's nothing wrong with bosch, as they are inventors of the o2 sensor..

However.. I've been using NTK and Denso o2 sensors the past few years and while I have never had an issue with a bosch..
the Denso o2 sensor is very high quality AND is actually made by Denso. They're also lower in price and perform exactly like OE.
the NTK which is what I put in my Ranger, well they were cheap, I like the NGK plugs and decided to try their o2 sensors. it works, price was right, and there's over 40k on them so far.
I was told (by the Denso rep) that NTK doesn't make 100% of their o2 sensors, that some are actually buyouts. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that NTK doesn't seem to have the selection vs. the Denso.

The brands I was looking at are Motorcraft, Bosch, NGK, & Denso. There really isn't much price difference so I think may either go Motorcraft or Denso.

Jason:

The only reason why I would choose Bosch over the other makers is because your engine was engineered and tested with the Bosch O2 by Ford . If you're looking for the original driveability I'd go with the Bosch OE unit. I doubt there is much difference BUT you never know about the other units and their slight differences.

As a general rule when replacing things like this it is always better to go with the OE manufacturer if you are looking for the same performance as when the car was new. Same goes for ignition parts as well. Stick with the OE brand that came with the car.

OEM and put antiseeze on threads (do not get on sensor) and dielectric grease on the electrical connector. Good fortune.

Originally Posted By: EricF

I was told (by the Denso rep) that NTK doesn't make 100% of their o2 sensors, that some are actually buyouts. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that NTK doesn't seem to have the selection vs. the Denso.

That's okay, neither does Denso. I've installed more than one Denso sensor that was actually a Bosch. (Yes, It had the Bosch logo on it)

Originally Posted By: Viggen
Jason:

The only reason why I would choose Bosch over the other makers is because your engine was engineered and tested with the Bosch O2 by Ford . If you're looking for the original driveability I'd go with the Bosch OE unit. I doubt there is much difference BUT you never know about the other units and their slight differences.

As a general rule when replacing things like this it is always better to go with the OE manufacturer if you are looking for the same performance as when the car was new. Same goes for ignition parts as well. Stick with the OE brand that came with the car.

Just because Bosch was the OE supplier, doesn't mean the aftermarket parts will be the same.

Originally Posted By: 229
OEM and put antiseeze on threads (do not get on sensor) and dielectric grease on the electrical connector. Good fortune.

O2 sensors either come with the threads pre-coated (Bosch) or have a packet of specialty anti-seize to apply (Denso). Also, FWIW I was told during a NAPA/Federal Mogul Class misfire diagnostics to NOT use dielectric grease on an O2 sensor connector... I just wish I could remember the logic.

In general, I prefer Denso, as we've had no comebacks with them vs. a few with the Bosch sensors. Also, I tend to read of more problems with Bosch than with other brands. In the end, I'm sure that Bosch is a good sensor as there's probably millions of them out there from the aftermarket...

Originally Posted By: EricF
OE is bosch, motorcraft branded o2 sensors actually have the bosch p/n engraved on them.

Ford has used both Bosch and NTK as OE for O2 sensors. In my experience NTK is more common.

I will take the old ones out before I buy new ones to see if they are indeed made by Bosch or some other company.

I replaced my o2 sensors upstream with walkers on my 2002 Expy. There didn't seem to be much difference. Took out the old ones and it did not really have any visible cues as to what brand it was. If I remember right it might've been Motorcraft. The heat shield on mine was green or blue. I just figured since it is domestic vehicle. It must be a domestic supplier for Motorcraft. Isn't Walker a USA brand? Wait until the truck is completely cold. The passenger side is harder than the driver's side to unhook and hook up the electrical plug.

Last edited:
If anything it would be the design and shape of the fluting sheath that the sensor cover uses that would sell me on the OEM unit over another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back