2016 Ford Edge with 2.0L turbo oil pressure sensor replacement

You may want to also consider getting the transfer case service done if it has never been performed, although $75 is steep for 1.5 pints of 75w-140. I believe Christian Bros. is a franchise? I would be tempted to take it to Castle Rock Ford for a second opinion.
After doing hasty research, I am looking at recommendation that my Daughter buy a 2024 edge. She loves the edge, but I am seeing a lot of information that points to a higher than average short block replacement on her 2016 edge. And this recommendation is from the guy that drives salvage vehicles.

And of note I am sure my Daughter is upset about my recommendation. With my wife with her, daughter had to reach out to me. Now she is cornerd, cause Dad said buy a new edge. If her 2016 edge fails, dad warned you. I feel bad for her now. She is a good adult and awesome mom. Doesn't need dad interference in her vehicle stuff.

Last edited:
Yes and no
The 2016 and previous EcoBoom engines can have coolant intrusion issues, but they weren't as bad as the 2017+
I've anecdotally noticed this with Fusions

'13-'16 2.0EB seems to be the most stable of the bunch, 2017 - 4/8/2019 are all ticking time bombs (unless replaced with updated block)
1.5 and 1.6 being the most problematic, 2.0 being slightly better
Do you know what was different?

I didn't think they started cross drilling the 4 cylinder until very recently - like last year?

my 2018 Edge ingested its coolant at only 70K, requiring a new block. My new (company car) '24 Edge is awd (apparently they did away with fwd) and I'm reading about all the nightmares with Ford's PTU unit regularly cooking its fluid and grenading. ****, Ford...

my 2018 Edge ingested its coolant at only 70K, requiring a new block. My new (company car) '24 Edge is awd (apparently they did away with fwd) and I'm reading about all the nightmares with Ford's PTU unit regularly cooking its fluid and grenading. ****, Ford...
I don't know if the design has changed for your model year, however on the Escape forum I used to haunt, hardcore AWD owners would fashion a drain plug and routinely perform 30-40K mile OCI on the PTU.

Working in Asia, Daughter in Colorado just texted me her 2016 Ford Edge 2.0L turbo with 88k miles needs an oil pressure sensor. I did a youtube search and could not find a second generation video on the oil pressure sensor replacement. Below please find what they quoted her. My gut suggests to only replace the oil pressure sensor, and let the other leaks be. At Christmas, I didn't see any oil on her garage floor.

My biggest worry is likely non-OEM parts, quality of the work done, and fixing something not broke leads to other issues.

Oil pressure sensor replacement
Labor- $99 USD
Parts- $11.57 USD

Reseal timing cover (remove and replace engine front cover gasket)
Total- $1474.67 USD
Labor- $1267 USD
Parts- $202.30 USD (Permatex gasket maker, engine valve cover gasket set, engine crankshaft seal kit)

Oil pan Gasket replacement
Labor- $1306
Parts- $20.01

Replace PTU Output Shaft Seal
Labor- $910.80 USD
Parts- $166.02 USD

Transfer case service
Labor- $60.27 USD
Parts- $75 USD (Ultra Guard 75w140)

Replace timing chain (instead of just timing cover gasket)
Labor- $1544 USD
Parts- $834
Had the oil pressure sensor replaced on our 2018 Edge, 3.5, under warranty. It had triggered a low oil pressure warning on the dash. The service writer commented they were doing a lot of those replacements on 5.0's.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Working in Asia, Daughter in Colorado just texted me her 2016 Ford Edge 2.0L turbo with 88k miles needs an oil pressure sensor. I did a youtube search and could not find a second generation video on the oil pressure sensor replacement. Below please find what they quoted her. My gut suggests to only replace the oil pressure sensor, and let the other leaks be. At Christmas, I didn't see any oil on her garage floor.

My biggest worry is likely non-OEM parts, quality of the work done, and fixing something not broke leads to other issues.
See if the local Ford dealership will fix it for free under the linked TSB for that leak. The leak is likely seepage from the threads, not the sensor body; therefore, a small piece of Teflon tape or PTFE thread sealant will cure it.

Ford TSB 17-2271

Last edited:
I thought that newer ones have a drain plug to facilitate oil changed.
The standard dual zone automatic climate control bothers me more.

The PTU problem is way more applicable to the 3.5 not the 2.0, it has to do with the fluid getting cooked due to exhaust placement on the 3.5. Fords biggest mistake was saying they are lifetime fills, they need to be serviced. Ours being a 3.5 is getting its second PTU service next week at 57k. I'll do again in 30k. The 2024 doesn't offer the 3.5, IIRC the last year it was available in the Edge was 2018.

OP I believe the last year for the Edge was 23, so if there are still any around a deal (for this market anyway) might be had. Like your daughter, my wife loves her Edge and won't even entertain replacing it with anything else. We'll be looking for a low miler minty one when it's time.

There is a major misunderstanding that TSB's=free repairs.
That is not the case.
That is absolutely true, TSBs are only for technical guidance, often not associated with a recall. However, Ford MIGHT consider this a goodwill repair since the book time is only 0.4 hours. In reality, it will take less time to unthread the sensor, apply sealant and reinstall the sensor than it will take to put it on the lift.

getting a little off topic, here, but my 2 week old 2024 Edge has no owners manual (everything online) and I still can't find anything from Ford on a service schedule other than 'take in every 10K miles for inspection'...craziest thing I've ever seen!

getting a little off topic, here, but my 2 week old 2024 Edge has no owners manual (everything online) and I still can't find anything from Ford on a service schedule other than 'take in every 10K miles for inspection'...craziest thing I've ever seen!
I think increasingly with telemetrics this will be the trend. The car just says, "I want to go see my friends at the [insert brand] dealer". The manufacturers will say you don't need to know the nature of the problem, just trust us -- we'll handle it all for you :D. Complimentary Kool-Aid in the lobby of the service area while you wait.....

After doing hasty research, I am looking at recommendation that my Daughter buy a 2024 edge. She loves the edge, but I am seeing a lot of information that points to a higher than average short block replacement on her 2016 edge. And this recommendation is from the guy that drives salvage vehicles.

And of note I am sure my Daughter is upset about my recommendation. With my wife with her, daughter had to reach out to me. Now she is cornerd, cause Dad said buy a new edge. If her 2016 edge fails, dad warned you. I feel bad for her now. She is a good adult and awesome mom. Doesn't need dad interference in her vehicle stuff.
Don't worry, GON. I tell my kids that there is no off position on the Dad switch.

Well, maybe.

Or, she will do what dad says, or not - then when it blows up she will call dad. Because that's what dad is for - chief firefighter. At least my kids would.

Reactions: GON
Daughter texted me and asked if a 2023 Range Rover is dependable..... I hate being the person who has to always be negative. I told her if she wanted to lease a new Range Rover for a year- go for it. But to buy a Range Rover would likely mean she would have an additional job of bringing the Range Rover in for service on a regualr basis.

She then asked what mid-sized SUV are good? I told her that if she loves the Edge, this is the last year of the Edge and if she sits tight she likely can get a very favorable deal on a 2024 Titanium Edge. I also mentioned that if she bought a 2024 Toyota Highlander, I would sleep well at night never worrying about her having car issues.

There’s a link to the maintenance schedule in the FordPass app.

Back