Oxygen sensors failing on 2018 Silverado 3500

This past weekend, I had a delivery of 3 garden tractors to the East Coast. I'm in Indiana, but my customers were in CT and PA. It was an 1800 mile round trip that I did in 2 days. I was pulling an 16' Enclosed Trailer with about 3500 Pounds loaded in the trailer. So nothing severe.

The truck in question is a 2018 Silverado 3500 with 6.0L gasser and 6L90E transmission. This is now the 3rd or 4th long trip where I was pulling a trailer that my CEL came on and it was an oxygen sensor. All previous times I had the sensor replaced. Of course, it did it again this weekend on the way home and the CEL went out for a bit, but then came on later that day.

Any ideas? You think pulling the trailer is just overwhelming the sensors? I have no idea.....I'm asking here first. The truck is going into the shop next week to have the sensor replaced again. Anyone got any similar experiences? Or know what might be going on?

I would suspect they are getting too hot. If you have an OBDII scanner you can see their temperature when running. I have my aftermarket WBO2 fail about every 30k miles due to heat. +1300F I see sometimes. It depends on the failure code too. Slow response is the usual suspect.

I would be inspecting the wiring harness going to the sensor. I highly doubt you are getting that many bad sensors even if you are using cheap aftermarket ones. Look for areas of heat and vibration. You could also have a computer problem because those sensors should be computer controlled. More testing needs to be done.

How many miles on the o2 sensors? O2 sensors are considered to be consumables. The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer for codes. The Service Engine Soon light is on only when an emission-related code is present.

Let me answer questions:
No oil consumption. The 2018 Silverado has 140k miles on it.
Yes, sensors have always been replaced at the dealership with genuine GM parts.
The wire harnesses look good
The sensor have about 60k miles on them.

Ok so let me explain one thing that most people don't understand - a trouble code does not tell you what part is wrong. You do not get an o2 sensor code and that automatically means replace the sensor. The code is a symptom of a problem - it simply means the o2 has seen, for example, a rich or too lean situation or the heater part has failed -etc. So the fact that you have replaced these before and it happens during a certain driving scenario indicates that something else is wrong. It probably is not the sensors.

As mentioned above, DTC's will be needed to tell which diagnostic steps need to be taken.

^^^ Somebody explained it to me like how you use a thermometer when your are sick. The reading on the thermometer is setting a code of you have a fever. It doesn't tell you what's wrong but indeed there is a problem, now go find it. Don't throw out or replace the thermometer even though it has high numbers showing.

^^^ Somebody explained it to me like how you use a thermometer when your are sick. The reading on the thermometer is setting a code of you have a fever. It doesn't tell you what's wrong but indeed there is a problem, now go find it. Don't throw out or replace the thermometer even though it has high numbers showing.
That is the best description ever!

The code is P2270 -- O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean - Bank 1 Sensor 2

The CEL has been on for a few days (very short trips), but it's back off now when I drove the truck to work this morning.....

Last edited:
Can you make $$ delivering 2 lawn tractors?

Sure can. I got rid of these 3 Cub Cadets out of my collection. The one in the middle with dual wheels brought $20,000.
The other two are very unique creations. They are 4x4 with meticulous machine work to create these very usable AWD variants. These two AWD Cub Cadets was traded for a nice Harley Road King and some other goodies.

PXL_20240131_230018366.MP.jpg
FB_IMG_1706717647286.jpg
PXL_20240131_225957529.MP.jpg

Here's the bike. It looks good sitting next to my other RK. I got a thing for ape hangers and fishtail exhausts....

So yeah, even though it costs me $1000 in fuel, hotel rooms, and tolls, it was worth the trip. I made about $8k all said and done.

received_1757534834746344.jpeg

Pull the code yourself and do some reading what it could mean for your vehicle. I occasionally get an O2 sensor code on my Focus, but I've disabled the swirl flaps in the intake, so they don't mess up the manifold and/or fall apart and get into the engine.
The actuator still works so the car has no idea why the mixture is a bit off at idle or chopped throttle at times, so it throws the code.
You might have a small air leak in the intake or exhaust or frayed wire insulation some where?

The code is P2270 -- O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean - Bank 1 Sensor 2

The CEL has been on for a few days (very short trips), but it's back off now when I drove the truck to work this morning.....

Should I not get it fixed? My appointment is tomorrow morning... I assume all they're going to do is swap out the oxygen sensor

Back