Using toluene in gas - what to use as lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, Newbie here from Malta! (europe)

Introductions first .. I have a 1999 JDM Honda S2000 with Mugen ECU, Mugen cooling mods, Mugen exhaust and Spoon throttle body.
In Malta there is only one type of petrol/gas fuel available. It should be 95 RON but in reality its probably closer to 92 RON (87 AKI)

My S2000, being JDM, has a compression ratio of 11.7 .. and added to the advanced timing of the Mugen ECU, resulted in "low speed knock" on multiple occassions.
For example, going uphill at 2-3000 rpm .. more than 50% throttle results in audible knocking.
Its worth mentioning that the Mugen ECU ignores all sensors (knock sensor, O2 sensors etc), so it always runs the engine with advanced timing (and lean mixtures), regardless if it is knocking or not. This, I think, is the reason why it is sold as a "Racing Only ECU". It is designed for Japanese N1 Races, where obviously there will not be any low-octane fuel problems.

I tried running my car on pump gas and on the OEM ECU ... it works really bad .. there is no knock, true (because it retards the timing) - but there are way too many flat spots .. and immediate hesitation on WOT .. it does not feel like an S2000 any more.
And its understandable .. my car is JDM, designed to be run on 100 RON .. and I am using 91 RON.

Someone on the S2KI forum recommended Toluene - I managed to find a chemical supply store locally and bought some.

At first, I tested the toluene mixture with the stock ECU ..
When I had a ~20% toluene mix, after an ECU reset, the engine felt perfectly fine on the stock ECU. Not as responsive as the Mugen ECU, obviously .. but there were no flat spots and no particular hesitation. So this confirmed that it was running very low on octane on standard pump gas.

Then I put in the Mugen ECU, and this time mixed toluene with our fuel at around 25%. Knocking was reduced by a great margin. I did some "acid tests" I like to call them ... using WOT on steep uphills in higher-than-usual gears (2 to 3,000 rpm) .. with no audible knock whatsoever.
So, I am very pleased with toluene
smile.gif

PS: I've also been experimenting with octane boosters, and have found that TORCO accelerator works fine, BUT ... it contains MMT. And I've found out that MMT will foul the plugs and is not recommended, especially for a street car. And I also looked into mixing race gas with pump gas .. but it will turn out wayyyy too expensive to make a mixture to reach 100 RON, because race gas available locally is very expensive. about 4x the price of normal gas .. and I would have to use a 50-50 mixture.

So back to toluene ...
The only problem I see is this -- a lot of websites say that you should add some cleaning agents and lubricating agents when using more than 20% toluene.
They recommend "mineral sprits" (or DIESEL) as cleaning agents, and Marvel mystery oil (or ATF) as lubricating agents.

Well ... I dont know what mineral spirits are ... and I really dont trust the contents of local diesel fuel .. so I didnt add any cleaning agents.
But I did add 150ml of ATF Dexron 2 with every 5 litres of toluene used.

I am now thinking of using 2-cycle oil instead of ATF, as this was specifically designed to lubricate the upper cylinder parts ... but will it also help to keep the rubber seals etc from drying?
Also .. what can I use as cleaning agents? A friend of mine said that I shouldnt use diesel because diesel has sulpher, and the molecules of sulpher can bond with those of toluene and create "solids" ... I have no idea about chemistry so I dont really know what he's on about

So I guess my question is this ... what should I add to the mixture to make the final product as safe as possible to my fuel system and my engine? is 150mls of ATF to 5litres of toluene (my current mixture) OK?
Or is it better to use 2-cycle oil instead? And in what dosage? And should I use any cleaning fluids?
(MMO is not available locally so I have to rule that out)

Any help would be appreciated !! Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Keep the diesel out. I would use a small amount of MMO or two stroke oil. Either will cut your octane, which you are fighting to enhance.

How about aviation gas? 100LL should fix you right up. Any qualms about lead? You have an open loop system with the Mugen controller, do you ever want to go back?

Your current ATF mix is way too heavy. I would mix MMO or two stroke oil at 1:640 or even thinner.

Shell used to sell methyl benzene for fuel additive down here.

20% is fine IMO (but then, I was running it with leaded at the time).

+1 on the 2 -stroke oil.. turbo rotary guys use it to help keep apex seals alive. Don't need much,though ;93 octane gas is 8-10% toluene IIRC.

Toluene, xylene, both are good octane enhancers of the same family.
I have used both with good results.
May I suggest high concentrations of ethanol as an alternative?
Of course I assume that your engine controller is tunable for ethanol content.
Probably toluene and xylene don't require much added lubrication as they are in the same family as "normal" gasoline hydrocarbons.
Ethanol however should have some 2 cycle or MMO added to enhance lubrication. I would start with 3 ounces to 10 gallons.
Of course this is just my opinion based on my somewhat limited experience with high compression and turbo engines.

Cheers.

Rickey.

what are the advantages of using ethanol? ethanol is about 100 AKI (109 RON) so i prefer to use toluene at about 120 RON.

my engine controller is not tunable in any way. its just set to run at a preset "race-mode" setting by mugen and there isnt much i can do about it. that said, i LIKE the way it makes the car feel
smile.gif
which is why i am trying to "fix" my car around this ECU.

how can i "check" how much 2-stroke oil i should use with 30% concentration? the "official" receipes i found online recommended 150mls to every 5 litres toluene used (regardless of toluene concentration) .. it is said that toluene contains no lubricants whatsoever, and it is in fact quite "corrosive" and melts rubber parts etc etc ...

Originally Posted By: banflu
what are the advantages of using ethanol? ethanol is about 100 AKI (109 RON) so i prefer to use toluene at about 120 RON.

Toluene is better. Higher energy content than Ethanol. Plus big dose of ethanol will lean out your motor (if you are running a carb or open loop FI and do not rejet) which could lead to detonation.

Originally Posted By: banflu

my engine controller is not tunable in any way. its just set to run at a preset "race-mode" setting by mugen and there isnt much i can do about it. that said, i LIKE the way it makes the car feel
smile.gif
which is why i am trying to "fix" my car around this ECU.

how can i "check" how much 2-stroke oil i should use with 30% concentration? the "official" receipes i found online recommended 150mls to every 5 litres toluene used (regardless of toluene concentration) .. it is said that toluene contains no lubricants whatsoever, and it is in fact quite "corrosive" and melts rubber parts etc etc ...

I'm not particularly fond of ethanol either.
The only advantages may be availability and cost.
The lack of tune-ability removes this option in your case.

As others have posted: Toluene is a standard ingredient in many "normal" pump gasoline formulations. (premium fuels).
The use of toluene is being phased out due to environmental concerns.
IMHO toluene is no more corrosive than normal gasoline ingredients, much less corrosive than ethanol.
Keep in mind that the addition of fuel lubricants will decrease the octane that you were seeking to begin with.
On my Solstice GXP I begin to see adverse changes in knock retard at fuel lubricant concentration of 4oz to 10 gal with 93 R/M octane.
This was observed with repeatability on a data logging scan tool.
IMHO 2oz to 10 gal is enough.

Good luck Sir.

Rickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back