Lacquer Thinner to clean converter for BMW M5 V10

I saw this video of Scotty Kilmer about cleaning catalytic with lacquer thinner

I don't live in America and we have a lacquer thinner that have these ingredients in it:
Toluene & Butyl acetate

The lacquer thinner in America has these ingredients:
Methanol
Hydrotreated light distillate
Acetone
Acetic acid, ethyl ester
Toluene
Ethanol, 2-Butoxyethanol

Can I use the lacquer thinner of my country in my car even though it has different ingredients? My car is a BMW 2006 M5

Thank you

It can work but there are chemicals that are meant for cleaning the cat. In the us we have a product like this that you may have wherever you are at least in a different brand.

Can Toluene & Butyl acetate mix with half tank of gas without causing engine damage?

First off, Scotty Kilmer is a drunk hoarder hack, don’t listen to him.

Second, there are products that are safely designed to clean the cat. Cataclean, CRC Guaranteed to Pass, Bars/Rislone makes one too. Add a couple of those. If it’s not good enough to solve your problem, you need to fix the car/replace the cat.

I've used LT in my 83 Silverado with no I'll effects, truck actually ran smoother and passed the smog inspection, :unsure:

So… does your converter need “cleaning”? And if you think it does how do you know this?
It's a BMW M5 2006, I get "Increased emissions" message on the dashboard

Connected a laptop and I get these errors:
1695155454439.jpg

Have you first looked into other issues that could cause the codes? These day a pro that is really good is worth the $$$$ because they work on the stuff all day and dream about it at night.

Have you first looked into other issues that could cause the codes?
I already replaced spark plugs, ignition coils, o2 sensors, and fuel breather valves, I think cats are next

So, 10,000 rpm on that engine is not doing its job? :)

Did you c change all O2 sensors?
Yes 4 of them, 2 before cats 2 after

It can reach 8250 RPM, but after 10-20 minutes of running the engine will go into malfunction mode and limit power

Lacquer thinner isn’t going to help you regardless of the composition.
I think if it's harmless maybe it could clean something in the fuel system, maybe the injectors or the fuel lines, I'm just worried it could damage something, I won't care if it doesnt work at least I gave it a shot

I think if it's harmless maybe it could clean something in the fuel system, maybe the injectors or the fuel lines, I'm just worried it could damage something, I won't care if it doesnt work at least I gave it a shot
Go ahead and give it a try. However, I am like others in this thread where I would never use anything that was not specifically designed for that use. But in this case you’re just soaking that converter in the solvent, correct? You’re not adding it to the oil nor the fuel.

Go ahead and give it a try. However, I am like others in this thread where I would never use anything that was not specifically designed for that use. But in this case you’re just soaking that converter in the solvent, correct? You’re not adding it to the oil nor the fuel.
In Scotty video he says: Adding 1 gallon of lacquer thinner to half tank of fuel and driving 150 miles

If OP is concerned fuel injectors, lines, or other parts of the fuel system need cleaning, the first product I would reach for is Redline SI-1.

Back