Honda slipping....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Honda today doesnt have [censored] on Honda in the 80's/90's. Between me and my brother we've had a lot of Honda's.
81 Civic hatch (x2)(still own 1)
89 Civic hatch (project car)
92 Accord LX (totalled)
95 Civic del Sol S (in my sig)
98 Civic LX & EX (drive LX sold EX)
We NEVER had one problem with either of these cars. Amazing fun cars to own and drive. Todays Honda's are sooo boring and run of the mill. They dont get near the mileage as the old models do. I know that they are heavier and bigger but I dont care. Honda needs to bring the Civic back to where it was. I read that the 9th gen Civic is supposed to bring it back to its roots but I doubt that. That would totally go against todays car buyers. Unless we are all wrapped up in old Civic ways. This was used to be the car that everyone could afford to buy, afford to drive, and run for the next 20+ years. I bought my Yaris for $14,7xx fully loaded aside from an auto transmission. I couldnt get a decent Civic with any features for that. But why would I want to? The current Civic doesnt look like a Civic anymore. They need to bring back a hatch...

The Civic IX is not a "return to roots". I got some glimpses at some info last night picking up my '11 civc. The new one is not much different. Tech stuff, which I don't want, is being added - such as bluetooth, USB audio. VSC will be across the board now, which is a plus I guess. Fuel economy will be up a bit due to direct injection.

The things I'd like to see brought back would be more stick shifts available and smaller wheels. But as you say - goes against the market I guess.

The Fit is supposed be what the old Civic was - edgy, small, cheap 'n' cheerful, hatchback, lots of utility. Sticker price is less than a Civic, but they hardly get discounted at all, so the Fit ends up costing about the same if not more. The Civic is just more car for the money - but you're right, its a much different car than 15 years ago. Its more like what the Accord was then.

You could say the Civic is boring - that's OK with me. The Yaris is boring too - and that's not a knock at all.

Originally Posted By: onebigunion

The Civic IX is not a "return to roots". I got some glimpses at some info last night picking up my '11 civc. The new one is not much different. Tech stuff, which I don't want, is being added - such as bluetooth, USB audio. VSC will be across the board now, which is a plus I guess. Fuel economy will be up a bit due to direct injection.

The things I'd like to see brought back would be more stick shifts available and smaller wheels. But as you say - goes against the market I guess.

The Fit is supposed be what the old Civic was - edgy, small, cheap 'n' cheerful, hatchback, lots of utility. Sticker price is less than a Civic, but they hardly get discounted at all, so the Fit ends up costing about the same if not more. The Civic is just more car for the money - but you're right, its a much different car than 15 years ago. Its more like what the Accord was then.

You could say the Civic is boring - that's OK with me. The Yaris is boring too - and that's not a knock at all.
Oh ya buddy the yaris is boring as all get out. I cant think of 1 interesting thing about it. At least it doesnt look like a mini mini van like the Fit.

Originally Posted By: onebigunion

I wlll agree with the auto trans problems some of the more recent vehicles have had. I think the Acuras are ugly too, but I guess that's subjective. But even the 80's Hondas had some issues. They used to rust badly (at least in PA), and I felt their sheetmetal and paint weren't very good, and, for some time at least in the early CVCC days, they required valve clearances to be kept carefully in check to avoid engine damage.

I'm surprised to hear about such problems with the Fit. A lot of people say its the most closely related in "spirit" (whatever that means) to the 80's and early 90's Hondas.

You hit the nail on the head. Ours needs the valves adjusted every few years, or they get far out of whack. The Fit is indeed the spiritual successor to the mid-80's/early 90's Hondas, with all the good and bad things that implies.

We had two Hondas - an '83 Civic 1300FE and a '90 Accord DX. Both slowly turned into severe oil burners by about 120,000 miles, and developed various electrical gremlins that could strike without warning and leave us stranded. Haven't driven another one since.

As a three time Honda owner, I can't say anything bad about them. When your comparing the 80/90's, Honda had to do something as all car manufacturers started going bigger. Have you looked at the size of the the previous generations, a lot smaller than they are today. With that, some things have to give like fuel mileage for one. Now, the 02 Accord lost a transmission at 130K, but Honda knew about this problem and fixed a boat load of those trannies for free, mine included. Wonder if GM, Ford or anybody else would have fixed my transmission for free with that many miles on it. Honda knew about the problem and 'fessed up. Wish Ford would acknowledge their spitting spark plug problems with the 4.6 and 5.4l engines. There are going to bugs in any manufacturing process, but all in all, these are still great cars.

Hondas today are more spacious, agile and safer in a crash by a longshot when compared twenty years ago, those are important features that sell cars.

Next time you look at a Hyundai or Kia look at the suspension, I wouldn't buy that frail looking [censored].

I did sell my 2010 Pilot after 30k because I no longer needed the cargo room and I did not like the maintenance schedule changing the rear pumpkin fluid every 18k for $100, timing belt (why are the still using them?) and the fuel here in the cold was sub 15 mpg. on top of that it ate tires, you could actually hear and feel it in parking lots....got to be better SUV's on the market somewhere but I don't need one anymore.

The new Odyssey? what is up with the body behind the door? absolutely wild they put that disjointed mess into production, next to the new Toyota it's laughable, that will cost them.

On the other hand the latest Accord is growing on me and the CRZ if offered with other power trains could be interesting, CRV is very good looking and the Acuras are adjusting their earlier chrome problems.

But again, these are different cars in a different world than twenty years ago..just look at what's happened to traffic deaths.

Originally Posted By: whip
Buck tooth, beak, cheese grater, call it anything you want except good looking! LOL

Speaking of Acura, am I the only ones that sees a smiling face on the back of the new TL?

htup_0905_03_z+2009_acura_tl_sh_awd_test_drive+acura_tl_rear_view.jpg

The previous gen was a really good looking car.

Good grief, what were they thinking?

I actually like the TL. It's one of the few Honda vehicles I find attractive.

Originally Posted By: Tim
Originally Posted By: whip
Buck tooth, beak, cheese grater, call it anything you want except good looking! LOL

Speaking of Acura, am I the only ones that sees a smiling face on the back of the new TL?

htup_0905_03_z+2009_acura_tl_sh_awd_test_drive+acura_tl_rear_view.jpg

The previous gen was a really good looking car.

Good grief, what were they thinking?

The way I look at it, the Civic use to have its own niche in the market. Nowadays, it seems to be following the same lines as the Corolla....definitely a quality car that will get you from point A to B for many years (which is fine if that's what your looking for), but won't "light your fire" and is rather vanilla in nature.

Last edited:
The Civic is a very boring car to drive but its cheap to insure, cheap to keep on the road and is very good on gas (especially with $4 gallon gas). I got a 2007 Civic and its been ultra reliable.

If you want a car with some 'personality' don't buy a Civic

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

If you want a car with some 'personality' don't buy a Civic.

That's why I think Honda is slipping. The Civics I owned had personality. They were sporty little cars that were fun to drive. That's what set them apart from Toyota. Now, there's no difference.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The Civic is a very boring car to drive but its cheap to insure, cheap to keep on the road and is very good on gas (especially with $4 gallon gas). I got a 2007 Civic and its been ultra reliable.

If you want a car with some 'personality' don't buy a Civic

I always thought Civics were a small fortune to insure thanks to the tuner crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back