Grrr another option

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had my heart set on the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Then, I looked tonight, and what do I see, but the Michelin Primary MXM4 for about $15 a tire more. they are Grand Touring tires, the Contis are UHP. Like I've said, my primary focus is ride comfort, with good handling, and good tread life. Michelins in my experience almost always get close to the treadlife warranty. I think I'm going to go with the Michelins now, Anyone think otherwise?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...num=145VR7MXM4P

Originally Posted By: Nick R
So I had my heart set on the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Then, I looked tonight, and what do I see, but the Michelin Primary MXM4 for about $15 a tire more. they are Grand Touring tires, the Contis are UHP. Like I've said, my primary focus is ride comfort, with good handling, and good tread life. Michelins in my experience almost always get close to the treadlife warranty. I think I'm going to go with the Michelins now, Anyone think otherwise?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...num=145VR7MXM4P

Yes, you should go that route if you are looking for ride comfort, good handling, and tread life. Ultra high performance tires have good handling...in dry conditions...but don't even have any of the others lol

Last edited:
Primacy MXM4 doesn't get the stellar reviews in snow.

The DWS is supposed to be phenomenal in snow and the soft sidewalls will give you better ride quality than the Primacys, which tend to be firmer.

Good ride comfort, tread life to date on the DWS - very happy with them on the Volvo in a 235/45 R 17 size...they even did well in the snow...

You're looking at 2 good products from 2 good manufacturers...there isn't a bad choice to be made between the 2...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You're looking at 2 good products from 2 good manufacturers...there isn't a bad choice to be made between the 2...

+1

We've had better luck with Michelins than with Continental in the past, so I'm going to stick with the Primacys. Even those will have better snow traction than the Kumhos.

I have Conti on one car and Michelin on another.The Michelin definitely rides better no question but the Conti last much longer (same size and similar tread profile) after 40K the Conti still has 9/32 left (new was 14/32) the Michelin were darn near at the wear bars at 40K,the Conti was much cheaper in this size,they must have used concrete in the compound because they rode as hard as round stones :).

I bought some Generals,they did very well in tire racks testing and were cheap,they ride better than either the Conti or Michelin even though General make the Conti for the U.S. market it seems they left the concrete out.
Only time will tell how long they last.

All that said my favourite normal car tire is still the Pirelli P4 they are cheaper than the P6 but rides great and is a good performer with a good tread life number.

we put a set on my dads 06 sts because he is a die hard a Michelin man with good reasons.
We have never had a tire failure from Michelin. We run them on my corolla , 93 allante, and our 2010 mks.
I have pro contacts on our Taurus and they are good tires too. 36000 miles on them and well get another year out of them.
I vote Michelin on winter traction, wear, and reputation.

Michelin Primacy is my choce for an All season tire. My daughter has them on her A4 quattro in Wisconsin.They will be my next tire on my BMW to replace Michelin Exalto A/S. I could consider a dedicated winter tire in your area.

Last edited:
I am having a set of Primacy MXM4's installed on the Elantra as I write... 215/45/17.

I'll post up later on my initial review. I expect them to be lightyears better than the worn out KH-16...

Originally Posted By: milehighhyundai
I am having a set of Primacy MXM4's installed on the Elantra as I write... 215/45/17.

I'll post up later on my initial review. I expect them to be lightyears better than the worn out KH-16...

Sweet. Going from the exact same tire in the exact same size to the same tire, same size I'm considering. If you don't report back with an initial review I'll come find you lol.
thumbsup2.gif

Different strokes. I want an 80k warranty tire that will wear out in 5 years and 40k so I can get my Warranty pro rate,new tires,and do it again. FZ1 is a redneck renaissance man.

Sweet. Going from the exact same tire in the exact same size to the same tire, same size I'm considering. If you don't report back with an initial review I'll come find you lol.
thumbsup2.gif

Alright...

For my quick 8 mile tour home- they were great! Responsive in cornering, stuck well and they were quiet- all I heard was wind noise although it was very windy here today. I did hear a slight tone change when I exited off of pavement from the freeway to concrete ramp- nothing abnormally loud.

So far, I am happy with them. I'll report more later next week after some commute and possible rain time.

Conti DWS do not feel like a UHP tire to me. Very comfortable and quiet. Perfect set of tires for my wife's Legacy turbo wagon.

It just a marketing term more than anything.

thumbsup2.gif

Alright...

For my quick 8 mile tour home- they were great! Responsive in cornering, stuck well and they were quiet- all I heard was wind noise although it was very windy here today. I did hear a slight tone change when I exited off of pavement from the freeway to concrete ramp- nothing abnormally loud.

So far, I am happy with them. I'll report more later next week after some commute and possible rain time.

How was ride comfort compared to the KH16s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back