Oil for 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What kind of vehicle you have 2007 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi w/ MDS, Quad Cab, 4x4, 53k miles, no warranty
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well 6k OCI, 5w-20 (required for MDS)API Starburst certified and "should" meet or exceed Chrysler MS6395
3. Where you live Just south of Portland, Oregon, mild climate here in the valley. We might see a few days of temps in the 20's durring the winter but usually around freezing for a low. Summers are mild, might see a handful of days int eh 90's or higher but never much hotter than 80's.
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) I drive easy, my hot rodding days are behind. Rarely does the truck see 2500 RPM,
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) Drive about 40-50 miles a day, mostly back roads at 35-55mph, very little stop and go, just a nice cruise.
6. Whether your car has any known problems Nothing I know of. Just bought it a few months ago, I've put 5k miles on it and no problems at all yet. I don't suspect any will come up.

So I just did the first oil change since I've owned it with Valvoline Synpower 5w-20 and a Napa Gold filter. I don't mind changing the oil myself, pretty simple in this rig but the less time I spend under it the better. Considering going to Amsoil if I can stretch the OCI out just a little to justify the cost. I'm not a fan of the 25k or so OCI. If I can stay right around 10k with a decent Amsoil product I'd be happy with that. Especially if I can do it with the Napa Gold filter as they are easily aquired locally and the price is right.

Originally Posted By: TwistedJake
1. What kind of vehicle you have 2007 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi w/ MDS, Quad Cab, 4x4, 53k miles, no warranty
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well 6k OCI, 5w-20 (required for MDS)API Starburst certified and "should" meet or exceed Chrysler MS6395
3. Where you live Just south of Portland, Oregon, mild climate here in the valley. We might see a few days of temps in the 20's durring the winter but usually around freezing for a low. Summers are mild, might see a handful of days int eh 90's or higher but never much hotter than 80's.
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) I drive easy, my hot rodding days are behind. Rarely does the truck see 2500 RPM,
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) Drive about 40-50 miles a day, mostly back roads at 35-55mph, very little stop and go, just a nice cruise.
6. Whether your car has any known problems Nothing I know of. Just bought it a few months ago, I've put 5k miles on it and no problems at all yet. I don't suspect any will come up.

So I just did the first oil change since I've owned it with Valvoline Synpower 5w-20 and a Napa Gold filter. I don't mind changing the oil myself, pretty simple in this rig but the less time I spend under it the better. Considering going to Amsoil if I can stretch the OCI out just a little to justify the cost. I'm not a fan of the 25k or so OCI. If I can stay right around 10k with a decent Amsoil product I'd be happy with that. Especially if I can do it with the Napa Gold filter as they are easily aquired locally and the price is right.

I have the same basic vehicle although mine is a 2008. Seeing as you have no warranty you can pretty much run what you want at least as far as oil certifications. Due to MDS stay with a 5W-20 or 0W-20 unless you get a tuner and disable it in which case a 5W-30 or 10W-30 is perfectly fine to run.

Valvoline Synpower is an excellent oil. That is a good choice as would be Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. Another great oil that is sort of a sleeper is Kendall GT1 Full Synthetic( now it has Liquid Titanium ). It is actually cheaper p/qt bottle around here for me @4.99 a qt than the name brand synthetics( M1, PP/PU/VVL/QS )are p/qt even in 5qt jugs at Wal-Mart. Just as good as any of those IMO. 10K would be ok for most any of these in a healthy engine.

Amsoil XL would be a good oil for a 10K service as Pablo said if you wanted to run Amsoil. I am with you on not caring for 25K OCI's but I would run their A series, SSO, or XL oils for 10K. I run Royal Purple 5W-20 in my 08. Ran the 5W-30 in my 04 Ram 5.7L. It is another premium synthetic to consider if you can find it for a reasonable cost locally. I pay approx $7 a qt for it here.

IMO, 10K is pushing the Napa Gold filter. To me the standard Napa Gold/Wix, Purolator, Bosch, MOPAR, etc... filters are good up to about 7500. JMHO. If you are going to stretch out to 10K then IMO step up to a better filter such as Purolator PureOne, Bosch Distance Plus, K&N, Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Royal Purple. They might cost a little more but they are designed for those longer OCI's and one or more should be easy for you to find locally. You can usually get them at different times as part of an oil deal too( 5qts + filter for less $$$ )which makes them cheaper( minus the Amsoil filters that are not sold as a rule in stores ).

Last edited:
I Have a 03 Hemi 4x4. I am losing about 3qts of oil in 3000 miles no blue smoke, on spots in drive way. I have oil behind my throttle body and a check engine light code is evap . antifreeze looks great i am noticing a loss in power, and a rough idle at times then it picks back up. I am using pennzoil ultra 10w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back