Toyota cartridge style oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been discussed many times, but I had my first experience with the Toyota cartridge style filter yesterday. First off, it was a pita to get off. Had to finally break down and buy the Toyota spec'd filter wrench that would grab properly.

However, once off, what a great system! Bypass valve is built into the cap that you screw off. And for those of you that use Toyota's new filter design as reason for not needing a solid center tube... well you insert that filter into the cap which has a solid metal center tube that you push the new filter over top.

Excellent design which IMO removes the potential for poor quality valves, seals, media, etc. You can inspect the media thoroughly before installing the filter! A BITOGER's dream!

Just thought I'd share that with you all
grin2.gif

I too think the cartridge set up on my Mazda CX7 is excellent. It is nice to evaluate the cartridge before & after use. No more concerns about the spin-on type and wondering if the media is messed up or holes in it or missing endcaps etc.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
No more concerns about the spin-on type and wondering if the media is messed up or holes in it or missing endcaps etc.

Exactly! I've opened up 3 or 4 brand name filters that have had one issue or another... but always *after* the OCI. That is a thing of the past now.

I'm surprised how much those filters cost though. You'd think less material = less cost. Full metal cans are still a heck of a lot cheaper.

Thanks for sharing! Where did you buy the OEM-type filter cup wrench?

Originally Posted By: webfors
I'm surprised how much those filters cost though. You'd think less material = less cost. Full metal cans are still a heck of a lot cheaper.

Have you checked the price of the filter elements at the dealer? My dealer sells 'em for 5 bucks each, same as the older metal can Densos. The Fram at Walmart, which looks to be exactly the same, is $7.99.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Thanks for sharing! Where did you buy the OEM-type filter cup wrench?

Have you checked the price of the filter elements at the dealer? My dealer sells 'em for 5 bucks each, same as the older metal can Densos. The Fram at Walmart, which looks to be exactly the same, is $7.99.

Dealer charged me just over $10, which came with a new gasket and crush washer for the drain plug. I've seen them sold in the states for much less. I'll probably grab a couple when I'm in Colorado snow boarding next week
grin2.gif

Bought the wrench from the dealer... seriously over priced. $50
crazy.gif

I'll be picking one up next week in CO and returning this one.

Since owning my Rav4, I have confirmed my suspicion regarding the opinion that more filter media and pleats the better is not necessarily the best. I have had the opinion, dating back to the first filter dissection study that appeared on the web, that you can't judge a filter by the amount of filter paper. Why?? the more oil input pleats equate to more oil output pleats that are closer together. If there is no space between the output pleats for oil to pass, there is resistance to oil flow that will put the filter in bypass quicker and could also reduce oil pressure inside the engine depending on the filter material.

When buying an oil filter for my Rav4, I look at the inner tube area: oil output pleats.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
Since owning my Rav4, I have confirmed my suspicion regarding the opinion that more filter media and pleats the better is not necessarily the best. I have had the opinion, dating back to the first filter dissection study that appeared on the web, that you can't judge a filter by the amount of filter paper. Why?? the more oil input pleats equate to more oil output pleats that are closer together. If there is no space between the output pleats for oil to pass, there is resistance to oil flow that will put the filter in bypass quicker and could also reduce oil pressure inside the engine depending on the filter material.

When buying an oil filter for my Rav4, I look at the inner tube area: oil output pleats.

Agreed, there is such a thing as "too tight". Another reason why the cartridge filter is ideal. You get to inspect that closely prior to installation.

What was the part number for the filter wrench?

09228-06500-02

I bought a Supertech cartridge filter for my Mazda3 at WalMart for Cartidge filters are very nicely made.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I bought a Supertech cartridge filter for my Mazda3 at WalMart for Cartidge filters are very nicely made.

I have a bunch of supertechs in my stash (non-ecore versions). I checked WM for the Toyota application and there was only the Fram @ around $7. If they had a Supertech cartridge style filter that was of good construction I'd use it in a heartbeat.

I checked WM for the Toyota application and there was only the Fram @ around $7. If they had a Supertech cartridge style filter that was of good construction I'd use it in a heartbeat.

Same for my application. And I agree: once SuperTech comes out with the cartridge filter that fits mine, and as long as it's available for less than the OEM Denso element, I'll use it.

My Fusion has the cartridge filter and I like it a lot. I like the idea of easily inspecting the filter after an OC. Wish my Focus had the cartridge.

Changed both cars yesterday and I agree, the cartridge is the way to go! A few benefits but I don't really have anything I don't like about it....oh wait, ya the price. Really does not make sense to me that they are more expensive.

The Ecotec filters are more up here than the cans, for any brand. ACDelco PF457G is $11.45, PF47 is $7.25. Same thing for OCODs. Don't get it myself, there has to be more materials in the cans?

Originally Posted By: tig1
My Fusion has the cartridge filter and I like it a lot. I like the idea of easily inspecting the filter after an OC. Wish my Focus had the cartridge.

Then you can decide if the filter is capable of another OCI.

I looked at the E430 cartridge filter after 7-8 OC's and never found anything in the filter, looked like it could be used for another OCI of 10-12k miles. But I bought several filters on sale for less than $4 each, I just changed it out.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: tig1

Then you can decide if the filter is capable of another OCI.

I looked at the E430 cartridge filter after 7-8 OC's and never found anything in the filter, looked like it could be used for another OCI of 10-12k miles. But I bought several filters on sale for less than $4 each, I just changed it out.

There's no doubt that Toyota filter could go double my interval. In Canada the 2010 Corolla has 5k mile OCI's (8k km). It will be changed each time since that's what Toyota calls for.

Bought my cap wrench from a Toyota dealer on Ebay. Works great.

The filters from the dealership are a bargain.

Of course you can get the Purolator version in the current AAP Quaker State oil and filter deal for $13.99.

The Fram filters look like they are manufactured in the same Korean factory as the OEM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back