Not open for further replies.
Looks like my options are as follows:

- $40 for a conventional (wet) BatteriesPlus Xtreme brand
- $55 for a conventional (wet) dealer (Yuasa) brand
- $63 for an AGM (maintenance-free) Scorpion
- $65 for a conventional (wet) Interstate brand
- $70 for a conventional (wet) Sears brand
- $90 for an AGM (maintenance-free) BatteriesPlus brand

Neither Walmart nor Napa had anything that would fit.

Haven't decided yet which to go with. I definitely don't want to pay more than about $60.

I have a BatteriesPlus that I purchased 4/09, and have kept it connected to a Battery Tender every time I've had it parked at home. Whatever battery you choose, get a Tender of some kind, use it all the time, and you will get good life from your battery.

Is your battery the maintenance-free kind or conventional? BP only gives 6 months warranty on their conventional powersports batteries.

And yes, I do have a Battery Tender.

The last one that i bought for my bike was a WM one. i had to fill it with the acid. I turn the bike on almost every 3 weeks and the battery always seems to be charged good, and i don't put a maintainer on it.

Are you sure you don't want to spend $300 on a lithium iron phosphate battery...
27.gif

I've been doing the race car, jet ski, motorcycle, ATV, boat and aircraft thing for many years.

Here is what I've learned.

1) lead-Acid batteries have a limited "CAPACITY" lifespan, regardless of type. (in other words, they don't meet rated capacity for very long)
2) quality construction is important, and will result in a functional battery over a longer time period (not rated capacity though)
3) AGM and Gel Cell batteries cost much more
4) 2 years and a battery is often down to 60-65% of "original capacity"
5) I don't want very old batteries in my equipment.

So, I purchase AGM batteries for aircraft to prevent leaks and corrosion.

And I purchase conventional, quality batteries for everything else. I replace them before they get too old.

Lead acid aircraft batteries are often required to undergo a capacity test every year. I've never seen one meet 80% of rated capacity after 2 years! And, new ones EXCEED rated capacity by at least 20%. That is a huge decline in performance.

I think you get my point by now. AGM for corrosion protection. Conventional for everything else. Change 'em before they fail, because they really don't last all that long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

So, I purchase AGM batteries for aircraft to prevent leaks and corrosion.

And I purchase conventional, quality batteries for everything else. I replace them before they get too old.

One of my reasons for considering AGM was not having to deal with acid leak should I happen to drop the bike.

I am really impressed with the DEKA batteries, but you said they are unavailable. I have had good luck with the Advance auto AGM batteries. You can use the online coupons and save money. They last about twice as long as the regular acid batteries, but cost almost double. I think it depends on what you are putting it in. If you ride the bike alot, I would just go with a acid battery, if you let it sit alot, like me, you are better off with a AGM, they have a much lower discharge rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back