AGM battery charging questions

I am looking to direct mount a battery maintainer to a Cam Am Defender and use a Noco receptacle to allow for shore power to be hooked up via an extension cord. Basically the large winch on the side by side sucks the juice from the battery, and since use in the winter isn’t extended riding, I’m not confident the magneto would have the run time to keep things topped off. So I’d like to be able to occasionally just plug the machine in after plowing.

The battery in the unit is a Yuasa Y1X30L, a 30Ah AGM which suggests a 3A charge.

Here’s where things get difficult.

Noco makes a Genius 2D that is a direct mount charger made for lead acid including AGM batteries. The issue is since you can not set a specific charge mode the charger operates at a consistent 14.5v which by my understanding would only charge a 12v AGM to about 80% and never top off the battery.

They make a Genius 2 (no D in the model number) That does have specific charge modes and the AGM setting would charge between 12.6 and 12.8v which as I understand would top off an AGM batter. The problem is, Noco tech support was adamant it couldn’t be direct mounted in the cab of a vehicle because it wasn’t water proof and couldn’t take the heat of the engine compartment. Again this would be mounted in a climate controlled dry fully enclosed side by side cab.

On several forums Defender owners have pictures of the Noco GEN 5X1 direct mount charger. This is fully waterproof, and used frequently on boats. This charger share the smart maintainer features of the genius 2 however it is a 5A charger.

Yuasa gave me 2 answers. 1) we recommend charging the Y1X30L at no more than 3A. And… 2) Given the size of the battery you should be ok to charge if it’s a 5A smart charger but “just keep an eye on it.”

This is decidedly confusing. I recognize low and slow as being the best for the battery, however, I really would love to just plug this thing in after an afternoon of heavy snow plowing and leave it over night. I also realize just clamping on a 1 or 2A smart charger to the battery posts would suffice however I’m set on mounting this receptacle to the side of the machine.

SO the main question is, do you think I can occasionally charge this battery using a 5A Noco GEN 5X1 charger?

Thank in advance for your thoughts

Last edited:
Narrow it down to two options:

-- Be like everyone else, and run the ute, don't charge it, and jump it if necessary. Or

-- Run some sort of trickle charger, even if it only gets it to 80%, it's going to be more than just the engine running. It can't be less!

I would go with the first option, the Genius 2D. At 14.5V it should be plenty.

I replaced the lead acid 12V batteries in two 2nd gen Prii with AGM "wheelchair" batteries from Harbor Freight, because they were $60 at the time instead of $150. Prius charges at a flat 14.0 V. I tried topping the batteries off with a 1-amp smart charger every few months but sold the cars before knowing if it was any help. The batteries were fine though.

Noco’s charge profile is very conservative. even the 10A unit in reality spends most of its time in the lowest charge modes. CTEK does a better job but the NOCO construction is better. Either will be fine for maintaining the charge. Most chargers won’t hold a battery at 14.5. My NOCO hits 14.5 then shuts off until the battery drops to 12.8, then goes up again. I’d prefer a float between 13-14. An agm held at 13 is far better than one sitting at 12.4. there are smaller, simpler units for $20 on Amazon that do just fine.

also, the yuasa can handle the 5a charger. For top-off charging it’s not going to be dumping 5a into the battery.

Most AGM batteries specify an absorption voltage of around 14.4 to 14.6v. I couldn't find any specs to show that battery that requires a higher than normal voltage to completely charge. Do you have a link to a spec sheet?

When you say you're set on mounting the receptacle, which part are you referring to? I get not wanting to deal with alligator clips every time you plug in/unplug. Installing the NOCO eyelet terminal accessory on my vehicles allows me to leave the hood closed and the ring terminals securely attached, without mounting a charger in/on the vehicle. Best of both worlds, IMO, and that way you're free to choose the best charger for your situation.

Most AGM batteries specify an absorption voltage of around 14.4 to 14.6v. I couldn't find any specs to show that battery that requires a higher than normal voltage to completely charge. Do you have a link to a spec sheet?

No and I may have a lapse in understanding…. In an email reply from Noco support:

”None of our chargers detect the battery type. For chargers with Modes, it is up to the user to select the correct mode based on the battery connected. The GENIUS2D does not have a mode button and will charge Lead-Acid and AGM batteries at the same 14.5V.

For chargers with modes, it would charge Lead-Acid at 14.5V, Lithium to 14.6V, and AGM to 14.8V. ”

IMG_0105.jpeg

When you say you're set on mounting the receptacle, which part are you referring to? I get not wanting to deal with alligator clips every time you plug in/unplug. Installing the NOCO eyelet terminal accessory on my vehicles allows me to leave the hood closed and the ring terminals securely attached, without mounting a charger in/on the vehicle. Best of both worlds, IMO, and that way you're free to choose the best charger for your situation.

QCP1

Noco makes a Genius 2D that is a direct mount charger made for lead acid including AGM batteries. The issue is since you can not set a specific charge mode the charger operates at a consistent 14.5v which by my understanding would only charge a 12v AGM to about 80% and never top off the battery.

This is actually miss-quoted. The Genius2D doesn’t charge a constant 14.5v it charges UPTO 14.5v.

I guess my biggest question is: Can I use the 5A Noco GEN5X1 on the Yuasa Y1X30L which states to charge at 3A

Any good charger will taper down to what the battery needs. I've used AGMs for decades and never had an issue with regular charging systems and chargers.

Can you use it- yes.
Will it tease max life out of that batt- probably not.

If I had it laying around would I use it on that battery - sure.
Would I buy it new for that battery - nope.

I dont trust noco to start (anymore) with, regardless of it being in the amp range which it is the manual states its AH range is from 5-120AH.

I'd use my Optimates (1st choice) and or my Cteks if buying new.

I am looking to direct mount a battery maintainer to a Cam Am Defender and use a Noco receptacle to allow for shore power to be hooked up via an extension cord. Basically the large winch on the side by side sucks the juice from the battery, and since use in the winter isn’t extended riding, I’m not confident the magneto would have the run time to keep things topped off. So I’d like to be able to occasionally just plug the machine in after plowing.

The battery in the unit is a Yuasa Y1X30L, a 30Ah AGM which suggests a 3A charge.

Here’s where things get difficult.

They make a Genius 2 (no D in the model number) That does have specific charge modes and the AGM setting would charge between 12.6 and 12.8v which as I understand would top off an AGM batter. The problem is, Noco tech support was adamant it couldn’t be direct mounted in the cab of a vehicle because it wasn’t water proof and couldn’t take the heat of the engine compartment. Again this would be mounted in a climate controlled dry fully enclosed side by side cab.

On several forums Defender owners have pictures of the Noco GEN 5X1 direct mount charger. This is fully waterproof, and used frequently on boats. This charger share the smart maintainer features of the genius 2 however it is a 5A charger.

Yuasa gave me 2 answers. 1) we recommend charging the Y1X30L at no more than 3A. And… 2) Given the size of the battery you should be ok to charge if it’s a 5A smart charger but “just keep an eye on it.”

This is decidedly confusing. I recognize low and slow as being the best for the battery, however, I really would love to just plug this thing in after an afternoon of heavy snow plowing and leave it over night. I also realize just clamping on a 1 or 2A smart charger to the battery posts would suffice however I’m set on mounting this receptacle to the side of the machine.

SO the main question is, do you think I can occasionally charge this battery using a 5A Noco GEN 5X1 charger?

Thank in advance for your thoughts

I just replaced an AGM battery and reached out to the manufacturer for charging voltage. To my surprise it was less than what my charger (CTEK) recommended.

My two cents

I just use the Noco eyelets on the 1970 Beetle and there’s a quick disconnect extension cable I just plug it in when not driving. Then coil up the cord and toss under the seat. You could screw on a small cord wrap. This is just flooded battery.

My sand rail I use the regular clamps and it has a small AGM battery. Sometimes I use the 1A Noco, sometimes the 10A Noco.

IMG_6666.jpeg

I use the ctek polar 4.3 for my AGM. I'll have to check my AGM, it states it needs 13.7v to charge. There are 8 led steps on mine, it tapers down each step. Here is the manual with specs for winter mode which the manual says to use for AGM.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231120-203523.jpg
    Screenshot_20231120-203523.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 31
Why not disconnect the winch for winter storage and then just use a regular maintainer?

I’ve got a couple of the 2Ds and they’ve maintained my mower and less-used vehicles fine for the past 4 years on already-older batteries.

been using a older version of that C-Tek 4.3 for years + ALL my batteries are old BUT good!! OE motorcycle from 13, trucks interstate is 7 YO. used the cheep battery tender in the past that did NOT allow such a long life + being retired i drive LITTLE but batteries get monthly boosts!!!

Genius 1 or 2 would be fine for that. Slower is better. But the 1 is direct plug in while the 2 has leads.

Did I read it right that youll have the charger in the cab? I’d just keep it out of direct immersion. Specs say it’s IP65, and it comes with a mounting bracket.

IMG_1736.jpeg

I don’t see much value in the 2D. But if you go that route, remember that what’s set is the max CV set point, not that it can’t do other modes. And the spec sheet says it also is IP65 and a 14.5V set point.

But I’d run the regular model 2 and be done with it.

Noco’s charge profile is very conservative. even the 10A unit in reality spends most of its time in the lowest charge modes. CTEK does a better job but the NOCO construction is better. Either will be fine for maintaining the charge. Most chargers won’t hold a battery at 14.5. My NOCO hits 14.5 then shuts off until the battery drops to 12.8, then goes up again. I’d prefer a float between 13-14. An agm held at 13 is far better than one sitting at 12.4. there are smaller, simpler units for $20 on Amazon that do just fine.

also, the yuasa can handle the 5a charger. For top-off charging it’s not going to be dumping 5a into the battery.
I had a NOCO genius 5 that was charging @16.5 continously on an almost new AGM. called NOCO and they told me that was normal. No way. Sent it in for warranty and got one back that goes 14.5 max initially and drops off to 12.8. I haven't trusted a NOCO since...

It’s alway good to check what voltage your charger is charging at; I found an older Schumacher that was charging at 16.5V! I wouldn’t have noticed except I had added a digital voltage read out to the dashboard of my old boat that reads voltage anytime the battery switch is on. The NOCO 10 I use now has always charged at the proper voltage.

Back