Hemi Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I've been lurking around here reading and learning as much as I can about all things oil related. Ran into something and figured I'd get your opinions.

A friend bought a used 2004 Dodge Durango Hemi (without MDS) with ~65,000 miles on it and no clue as to the condition of the engine. This truck is used to deliver the paper at night - ton of stop/go.

I changed the oil at 70k with Mobil 1 5w-20 EP & K&N filter (great deal on both). I changed the oil again at 75,500 miles and to my surprised this engine consumed almost 3 quarts of oil in 5,500 miles.

This last oil change I used PP 5w-20 (4.29 qt) and PureOne filter ($3). I plan on keeping a close eye on the oil level this time around now that I noticed the problem.

I am thinking of stepping up to PP 5w-30 or perhaps a high mileage 5w-30. If that doesn't help might move to a 10w-40 HM oil. This Hemi does not have MDS so I can go higher than a 20 weight oil in this guy. I have also seen others mixing in MMO into the oil for its cleaning properties. Thoughts?

I have not witnessed any blue smoke from the exhaust and there are no other obvious signs of a problem other than the consumption. The truck actually runs real good and has a lot of power. It's not leaking out externally either.

How would you deal with this oil consumption issue? How would you clean up an engine that probably has had a history of cheap oil and very long oil change intervals?

Last edited:
In 04 the 5.7L HEMI spec'd 30 weight not 20 weight. The main weight spec was 5W-30 but 10W-30 was allowed for in temps 0F and above.

I would try a good high mileage oil in a 30 weight and see how it does. Wouldn't bother going to 40 weight.

You have a lot of consumption there and it is possible it is a mechanical issue.

Get the PCV valve replaced (it's cheap) You can run MMO but it will thin the oil so account for that. After you have replaced the PCV valve I would switch over to a HM oil (personally I think Maxlife or M1 HM are the better in that category). Try 5w30 then see what happens, work from there. That is a lot of oil consumption I would shorten my OCI's to 3k-4K as you monitor progress. See what others say.

I second the recommendations for checking the PCV and also using an Xw30 instead of Xw20. I'm more familiar with the passenger car installation of the 5.7 Hemi than the truck, and in that application it does tend to put more than average oil mist through the PCV system so people tend to use catch cans. That doesn't help with actual consumption, but at least you can see how much of your loss isn't real loss through mechanical parts, and you might be able to rig up a catch can return system that will trap the good oil and return it while letting the PCV vapors go where they're supposed to.

maybe if you think it has some blow-by mmo could help with cleaning the ring pacs. but i would try a good HM oil first.
how about M1 HM 5/30? i have been reading alot of voas today and it has alot of boron and other goodies. kinda like a HM Ultra if there was such a thing

Thanks everyone. You confirmed what I was thinking. I am going to replace the PCV valve and run Mobil 1 5w-30 HM for the next change.

I'll post back with how things progress.

"This last oil change I used PP 5w-20 (4.29 qt) and PureOne filter ($3)."

That "4.29Qt" may be your issue. The 5.7 Hemi specs 7 Qts of oil on a change. My 5.7 Hemi in my 05 grand cherokee takes 7.5 to hit the full mark.

Did you only put in 4.29Qts of oil?

Beside replacing the PCV, you may also want to have an upper combustion chamber cleaning done. To get rid of any carbon build up, on your valves.
Also check any of your vacuum/pcv hoses for cracks or obstructions.
And while your at it, make sure the oil-pan seal is O.K. you may have a slow leak that would burn off any leaking drops of oil, before they have a chance to leave a mark on the drive way.

Last edited:
Here's how FZ1 would deal with it. Get some M1 EP in the correct weight,5-30. Moniter the oil level every 1,000 miles and top up to the full mark each time you check it. No MMO(foreign substance).

Originally Posted By: Huie83

That "4.29Qt" may be your issue. The 5.7 Hemi specs 7 Qts of oil on a change.

Did you only put in 4.29Qts of oil?

I meant $4.29 / qt. I like to include prices sometimes so I don't get replies like "Why would you spend $7.99 / qt x 7 for that engine?", etc, etc, etc. I put in 7 quarts and it takes it right to the full line each time.

The new gen Hemi is notorious for carbon build up if not driven hard. Pig rich tuning means tons of [censored]!

And X3 on the PCV. Typically neglected

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The new gen Hemi is notorious for carbon build up if not driven hard. Pig rich tuning means tons of [censored]!

That does not sound good for all the new Hemi Patrol Chargers that spend the bulk of the time crawling around the county and idling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back