Need Oil Advice for Dad's 1960 Bug Convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone
smile.gif

I have been scratching my head when my Dad asked me the other day what oil he should be using in his 60 Bug Convertible.

This bug has been in my family for over 50yrs and was my Grandfathers Daily Driver at one time, then it was my Dads, then his Brother's etc. Well a few years ago my Grandfather passed away and my Dad was given the Bug. My Dad has lots of fond memmories in this car.

Well, its all original and my Dad is upgrading some parts that are just worn out completely. The carpets, roof top, he already went through the suspension and steering, replaced all engine seals and well the engine is in great shape. Sounds like a sewing machine, ta ta ta ta with minimal oil drip which is astonishing for a car this age (and we all know the bugs were infamous for oil drips).

Anyway, the manual states to use a straight 30w oil in the car and a that is actually getting harder to find. My Dad actually resorted to putting in Super Tech 30W just to get the oil changed. I told him there must be something better out there that we can use. I know the Super Tech oil is SM rated and that the low ZDDP does not apply to straight weight oils like the multi wieghts.

I just think this engine needs all the help it can get. Synthetics are pretty much out, since there is probably so much carbon on the seals that synthetics would probably cause more seepage in an engine of this vintage. I was looking at Valvoline VR1 30w or maybe just the Castrol HD 30w. Now I realize the VR1 is a "race" oil, but I figured with this engine being air cooled and would bevefit from all the zddp in that oil. I just wanted some opinions out there on what they would recommend. I would like to stick with the straight grade 30w which this bug has had since 1960. No sense in switching now after 51 yrs. haha.

It has the 1100cc 36hp motor and was rebuilt once 25 yrs ago. I am also trying to find a Saphire Radio for it. The original one was tossed by my uncle in the 70's for an 8 track player haha. So if anyone knows where we can acquire a Saphire radio or a replica (6 volt system) please let me know. If folks are interested I could post up picks of the car for fun as well. Its a little messy right now since my Dad is installing new carpets and upholstry.

Thanks for your help Everyone. Any other info anyone would like to throw in I'm all ears
smile.gif

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi, Jeff.

Pictures are always nice.
I have an idea about carbon in engines, and my idea is that it should not be there at all, since it doesn't do any good. Why not use MMO or AVblend in the oil, to clean up the engine inside? After all, these additives had already been in use for decades, when this nice little car was built. I don't think using a 10W30 oil, would do any harm, either.

Straight SAE 30, commonly available as a HDEO such as Rotella T1, Delo 100, 300, or 400, or some of the specialty producers such as Amsoil, Royal Purple, Schaeffer's, or Redline would be good too. Ahh-memories of my first car when I was 16-a '64 Bug! Lucky I wasn't KILLED in that thing!

I did email Dave at Redline, he must be getting tired of me with all my emails over the past few months, but he is a very generous guy, and I must admit Redline is top notch in the PR dept.

Anyway, he was telling me that Redline 10/40 would work, BUT he said that it may cause seepage in the motor since the Engine is so old. I am just guessing about the carbon that could be inside. I mean any motor 50 yrs old using oil from 50yrs ago I would imagine there would be something going on inside. As time went on, the oils got better and I am sure they are cleaning the engine little by little over the years. I just know my Dad. This car has ran straight 30w for 50yrs, so I dont want to rock the boat too much with my Dad on having himn try something new.

I am not sure on what to do is why I came on to ask around. I can get the Valvoline VR1 30w for $4.99 per qt and maybe that will be a good choice? I also was thinking of using Brad Penn 30w.

I just think my Dad and well me too would be really nervous about putting in a fully synthetic oil in this thing. It may fall apart, haha.

I will get some pics up next time I go to my Dads. Should be in a day or so. Thanks for the interest.
smile.gif

Jeff

Ok guys and gals, I ran over to my Dad's for a couple of pics. I snuck into the garage covert stuff here. haha. The car is being disasembled on the inside for new interior so the pics are not great, but gives you an idea of the car
smile.gif

Hope you enjoy them. I will get more pics when my Dad is done with the interior.

1960 VW Bug Convt.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd502/jeffs2006evoix/VWPics003.jpg[/IMG]]VW Bug Cont

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd502/jeffs2006evoix/VWPics004.jpg[/IMG]]Dad's Bug

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd502/jeffs2006evoix/VWPics005.jpg[/IMG]]Dads Bug

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd502/jeffs2006evoix/VWPics006.jpg[/IMG]]Dads Bug

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd502/jeffs2006evoix/VWPics007.jpg[/IMG]]Dads Bug

Its just a very cool car. Not very safe to drive, but very cool. He is going to use it to just drive in town here and there. Just a weekend fun car. Brings back memmories for me too!

Jeff

That is just beautiful. What a car.

Want to keep it simple? ANY 15W-40 HDEO would be an EXCELLENT oil for that engine - good starting the cool, shear stable, and lots of additives for protection.

All oils have seal conditioners. I wouldn't worry about synthetic and I would definitely use a synth in an air cooled motor. Any 5w40 would work great. Any high mileage oil, Mobil1, Maxlife, Maxlife Synthetic, are good choices too.

Sapphire radio? just go to BestBought or your local car stereo shop and toss in a whatever they have.

I love old cars but technology has changed. Upgrade when you can. Tires, brakes, fluids, electronics.... work great in older cars. Bump the timing, run some E85, add some 20" rims, and enjoy!

Originally Posted By: unDummy
All oils have seal conditioners. I wouldn't worry about synthetic and I would definitely use a synth in an air cooled motor. Any 5w40 would work great. Any high mileage oil, Mobil1, Maxlife, Maxlife Synthetic, are good choices too.

Sapphire radio? just go to BestBought or your local car stereo shop and toss in a whatever they have.

I love old cars but technology has changed. Upgrade when you can. Tires, brakes, fluids, electronics.... work great in older cars. Bump the timing, run some E85, add some 20" rims, and enjoy!

I would NOT put e-85 through that gas tank or carb!!!! If it runs well on gasoline leave it be!!!!

Any parts store should carry the straight 30 wt Rotella...Why not run what the engine was designed for.

I own a 69 Bug and ran it on straight 30 for years (its easy to get in the UK). This is actually what most dubbers over here still use, though many also run 20w50 and 15w40.
I've never come across anyone using a HDEO (Shell don't even market Rotella here) and seeing as there are still many reputable companies offering classic car specific oils (Castrol, Motul etc) I'm not sure we need them. I think you have been given some sound advice above from the other guys and can't really go wrong with any of them, though Rotella 15w40 is probably what I see used by most American Dubbers.

To be honest Bugs aren't that fussy, as long as you change the oil every 3000 miles or less, you should not have any problems. I don't even think ZDDP is an issue with stock engines due to them being designed long before GM started upping the dose in the 60's

As for the Sapphire, get onto www.thesamba.com sign up to the forums, browse the ads and you should find one in no time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unDummy

I can't help but feel that you miss the point here somewhat. I'd make a joke about Pimp My Ride but the UK version was even worse so I can't claim the high ground there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Has it been repainted? It's in great shape. What do you guys think about using a 10W-30 dino oil?

The car is its original color. My Dad painted part of the car himself on the drivers side when it got keyed in the 70's. My Dad was in the Bodyshop Biz for over 25 yrs before putting up the spray guns for a civil service job. What you see is the original paint since the pics don't show the drivers side.
smile.gif
The interior was originally a rust color my Dad said as was the top. The top is now black, but will be out soon for cream color. The interior was redone in the 70's to a black diamond tuck design that my Uncle had done when he drove the car 40 yrs ago. My Dad is yanking it out and putting in a cream OEM sytle interrior.

Jeff

Last edited:
Everyone Thank You for the responses. The Bug is really a cool car for sure. It has allot of sentimental value to the family. My Dad is now retired and is working on the bug little by little. He is using either OEM VW parts or parts from Wolsburg Crest. He wants to keep the car as original as possible. Doesn't want to modernize it. It is, what it is. I mean there are no safety belts or anything in this car. Its kinda like driving a motorcycle with a metal skirt haha.

As for oil, I will look for the Rotella 30W, forgot all about the Rotella. My Dad wants to keep things simple and just have fun with the car. He will drive it on short trips around town and thats about it. It needs allot of work still. I mean its all original, its not that there is anything wrong, its just that all the original stuff is just falling apart. To some it may be worth more all original, but if you touch it and it falls apart, then something needs to be done. haha.

Thanks Everyone for your input. I am really learning allot about the car. I never really paid attention to the mechanics of the car as a kid. So I am watching and helping my Dad so I can learn some things. I mean there is no oil filter in this thing just a screen my Dad cleans on ocasion. It runs on regular fuel so he has to put the lead substitute in the fuel and this car even to this day gets 30mpg in the city. Granted its only 36hp but still haha.

Jeff

Last edited:
HI,
Jeff - These early VW engines do not "breath" very well and a HD is a great buffer for this. That said a modern SAE30 PCMO (if available) will be fine - a SAE20W-20 can be used in very cold conditions too

Due to the nature of the lubrication system in the early series engines a single viscosity lubricant does best! It is wise to clean the screen at every oil change - always renew the gasket and be careful not to over tighten the nuts!

I worked on many of these engines in the 1960s in Scandinavia where they were the top selling car! They became the top seller in OZ during the 1960s too - extremes of weather apart!!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
HI,
Jeff - These early VW engines do not "breath" very well and a HD is a great buffer for this. That said a modern SAE30 PCMO (if available) will be fine - a SAE20W-20 can be used in very cold conditions too

Due to the nature of the lubrication system in the early series engines a single viscosity lubricant does best! It is wise to clean the screen at every oil change - always renew the gasket and be careful not to over tighten the nuts!

I worked on many of these engines in the 1960s in Scandinavia where they were the top selling car! They became the top seller in OZ during the 1960s too - extremes of weather apart!!

Thanks for the Help Doug. Any chance you can PM me an email address so I can hit you up for advise if needed on my Dad's Bug? Thanks so much. Also, do you know if the front torsion beam is adjustable? or is only the rear?

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back