Oil for 1987 Saab 9000 Turbo

Why so thick?
It was common to run these on thick oil

This is an 80’s turbo car

Europe never specced thin oils like the US seems to have done far earlier than in Europe.

Those are the up to date oil specs for the Saab 9000 Turbo 16V

I don’t think the US market got the lower powered 9000 Turbo

Only the higher powered version which I assume will be the 16V

Common I don't doubt, but was there a real reason other than "just because everybody is doing that and 80's oils were crap"?
That is a real question I'm asking (not just for the sake of it), as I'm not in the US, and more familiar with non Sweedish European brands.

My 2006 9-3 Saab takes either 0W-30 or 0W-40. Until now, I've run M1 0W-40. Since it has almost 100K I run Pennzoil 5W-30 high mileage. Burns zero oil. In Minnesnowta I'd probably get the 0W-anything variety.
I had a 2004 that specified the same. Factory fill was a pretty light 30wt. Loved that car, very efficient.

That said, the 1987 is a very different vehicle. And a big question is if it’s a DD and if it gets much if any use in the winter.

I do agree that m1 0w-40 is a good choice, though there are others.

With a reasonably close to stock engine running reasonably close to stock boost, there is absolutely no need for such a thick oil.
I ran mine on 10w-40, 0w-40 and even 0w-30 (ACEA C3), with excellent UOAs.
And yes, that includes night time full-throttle Autobahn runs.

With a reasonably close to stock engine running reasonably close to stock boost, there is absolutely no need for such a thick oil.
I ran mine on 10w-40, 0w-40 and even 0w-30 (ACEA C3), with excellent UOAs.
And yes, that includes night time full-throttle Autobahn runs.
In your opinion.

I would suspect that Shell and Mobil have a little more data behind their recommendations.

Or did you think that was my opinion?

I ran my Saab 95 2.0T on 10w40 if memory serves, only owned it for 6 months and changed the oil and filter shortly after purchase.

Not being overly interested in oil back then I just used what EuroCarParts listed for it.

I don’t know how the engine in my 95 compared to the engine in the OPs car.

I don’t even know if an ‘87 had the same camchain issues as the Saab 95 to be honest

But if Mobil and Shell both advise thicker oils then I would suggest it needs to be consider why they do that.

What year was your car?

Was it the lower powered LPT or one like the OPs?

As far as I am aware the USA never got the LPT variant

1985 900 turbo 16, B202L, 160horses on paper (dynoed 190), bought at 301000km, sold at 686000km.
Also have had a 1989 9000 turbo, B202XL, a 9000 aero, a 900 turbo 8 (B201), 2 Saab 90, a Saab 9-5 LPT, a 900i 8V, and a few more, (including 9k v6 and 900 NG v6, but these were Opel engines).
In total roughly 750000km driven on all possible variants of Saabs H-engine.
8V, 16V, carburator, K-Jet, LH-Jet 2.2. and 2.4, Trionic 5, Trionic7, you name it. I've had them all. Even the rare B212...

Trust me, oil change interval fitting the driving conditions is much more important than which oil you use.
Any modern-ish oil with HTHS >3.5 will be fine. Use synthetic with turbos. Never beat on turbos when cold, drive gently until warm - and after demanding power, i.e.high boost and/or high rpm, let them cool down before shutting the engine off.
Don't mess with your knock sensor or the APC potentiometers. Never let the engine run lean. Make sure you run correct ignition timing. Change spark plugs from time to time.

That is all. Keeping these engines alive for ridiculous mileage is not very difficult if you care for your car just a little bit.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that OG 900 specified 10w-30 and 10w-40 in the early eighties. These oils had very weak VII and could have HTHS as low as low as 3.0...
ANY ACEA A3/B4 or C3 oil will provide higher film strength, better shear stability and better resistance to chemical degradation than these crap 1980s multigrades!

5w-50 or 10-w60 are overkill. They will only make the engine sluggish, rob power, increase fuel consumption and increase oil temperatures.
If you are running more than stock boost or rev higher than stock (B202 can easily do 7500/min with minor modifications), THEN a 10w60 might be warranted. But for a stock engine such a thick oil is useless.

Last edited:
It was common to run these on thick oil

This is an 80’s turbo car

Europe never specced thin oils like the US seems to have done far earlier than in Europe.

Those are the up to date oil specs for the Saab 9000 Turbo 16V

I don’t think the US market got the lower powered 9000 Turbo

Only the higher powered version which I assume will be the 16V

Oils have come an awful long way since 1987.

M1 or Castrol 0w40 would be more than ample.

Shame mobil stopped their synthetic 10w50 which came out in the late 80's. Would have been ideal for you. In those days, full synthetic meant full synthetic. .
That mileage and age I would not go below 10w and stay with 50 and start with their 15w50.
I do not recall seeing anything other than 20w50 mineral in those days until mobil rally came along

Back