Oil for 1987 Saab 9000 Turbo

Since my dad is moving closer to me (10 minutes away) I'm going to take over doing what maintenance I can to his car. So, what's a recommendation for a car this old? Owners manual specs either a 10w/30 or 5w/30 for colder climates. Car currently has about 156,000 miles on it and so far doesn't burn any oil. He's kept it well maintained since he bought it but I have no idea what the previous shops used oil wise.

My 2006 9-3 Saab takes either 0W-30 or 0W-40. Until now, I've run M1 0W-40. Since it has almost 100K I run Pennzoil 5W-30 high mileage. Burns zero oil. In Minnesnowta I'd probably get the 0W-anything variety.

that's a period piece, like the Volvo 700 was to the 200, the 9000 to the 900. I remember the car had to be put in R, before the key could be removed from the center console, on the 900s...my dream car back then was a 740 turbo wagon with a stick. Never did get one but that's ok. :)

Had 6 Saab turbos in the family and the Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula worked well.
In fact, a neighbor had a turbocharged Audi which smoked a lot upon startup.

I got her to switch to M1 0w-40 and her startup smoke dropped by 80% easily.
I realize this sounds like a "snake oil" claim but I swear it's what I witnessed.

Someone here posited that this oil is as close to a "universal oil" as you're likely to find.
I cannot recall his fate.

Sounds like my old neighbors car an old Saab mechanic he used formula shell 10w30. But any quality 10w30 would work well. Check your local NAPA see if you can stock up on their oil sale that’s happening now.

This has a generic whatever w 30 requirement just like my wife’s S60. I would definitely use an A3/B4 0w40 year round regardless of it being a high or low pressure turbo.

Had 6 Saab turbos in the family and the Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula worked well.
In fact, a neighbor had a turbocharged Audi which smoked a lot upon startup.

I got her to switch to M1 0w-40 and her startup smoke dropped by 80% easily.
I realize this sounds like a "snake oil" claim but I swear it's what I witnessed.

Someone here posited that this oil is as close to a "universal oil" as you're likely to find.
I cannot recall his fate.
I loved the 900 Turbo SPG. Never knew anyone that owned one, but a few friends had 900 turbos in their families...what was remarkable about the 900 was the cargo room. Nobody seems to care about that today lol you can buy a $80k SUV with < 60 cu ft

Pretty sure Saab had an ad showing a sofa inside the car

edit here it is can't seem to expand it

1697196736445.jpg

Another option is Castrol Euro Car 5W40. It's on the shelf at Walmart for $26 per 5qt jug and looks very similar to M1 0W40 (both are API SP now). They even have the same pour point.

Back