help from Dodge Ram owners or any 4.7L owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I am new here and I have been searching to see if anyone else is having the same problem I have. I own a 2008 dodge ram quad cab 4x4 4.7L I think I have some engine issues.

Some background first oil change at 3k Mobil 1 was used, at 7 k changed again with mobile, 13k changed with conventional oil from dodge dealer (it was free) I notice my engine ran horrible so 15k changed with synthetic blend and did engine flush, 19k I change with Pennzoil platinum, at 21k I changed with Pennzoil Ultra, at 24k I change again with Pennzoil Ultra but this time I used a k&n filter, at 27k I used Castrol edge, 29 k I change with valoine synpower, I just changed my oil at 32k I went back to Pennzoil Ultra. all oil weight was 5w-20

Okay so the reason why I did so many oil changes was first the oil would be really black and I mean really black so I go in to change the change the oil. I also noticed that I lost about 1 qt of oil every 1k no matter if it was synthetic, conventional, or synthetic blend. I also switched different thinking that other brands my not cause oil consumption or lower the oil consumption. That did not matter still had oil consumption the only think I notice when switching different oil brands and oil types was engine noise and performance. I got best engine performance with Pennzoil Ultra.

So my question for dodge owners with the 4.7L do they notice oil consumption of 1 qt around 1k of driving and oil getting really dark? T
he reason I ask is because the owner’s manual states to change the 1 every 6k miles but if I wait that long with no makeup I will have no oil left in engine at the time of the oil change.

Sorry for long post but this has brother ever since around 13k miles on the truck I bought this truck brand and I want to take care of the engine.

I can't recall ever having topped-off the oil in my 4.7L. I've used Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 and Castrol Syntec 0W-30, though.

My 4.7 uses maybe 1 qt over 4k OCI's. A qt every 1k seems pretty excessive.

I'm using QS dino and while it drains out dark, I don't think it's really bad or anything.

My 2002 4.7 has 190k miles on it and used to use about 1 quart between oil changes 3-5 k valvoline dino...however, when I noticed the sludge build up when I took my valve cover off, I immediately started looking for the culprit. I believe it was my neglected PCV system...I did about 5 quick oil changes (1k miles between each change) with 1 quart of MMO and 5 quarts of valvoline dino. I also started changing the PCV valve every oil change and my oil usage has completely stopped. I cut my filter open every time and noticed alot of black specks of sludge between the pleats, so I know the MMO was working. I have since switched to Pennzoil Ultra and still have 0 oil consumption.

No consumption issues with my '04 4.7l Ram. Only problem I had was sludge, but with your consistent 3k oil changes you should never have to worry about sludge.

Originally Posted By: turbochem
If my engine "ran horrible" I would suspect other factors long before the oil....

my engine only ran horrbile when i went back to conventional. All the other times it run excellent just better with ultra. I think that I may have Engine issues because of oil consumption and the oil being dark.

where is the PCV valve located? are they easy to change/check?

I also wonder if this is just a problem with just the 2008 or newer 4.7 becuase they are newest generation of the 4.7 came out and maybe it has "bugs" that need to be worked out.

man - maybe its because you've used every oil on planet earth during every oil change interval. Try picking an oil your truck likes and stick with it for a while. I am a believer in additive clash on synthetic brand oils - the fact that many oil manufacturers of synthetic oil advise new customers that their oil may burn off faster than usual when switching to them is proof enough.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
As an '08 with 32K miles, the truck is still under warranty. I'd take it to a dealer and have it checked out.

+1

You could have other issues going on besides the oil merry-go-round you've had the poor thing on. My feeling is that is very high oil consumption for a 4.7, I can't ever recall topping off the 2008 I maintain.

At any rate, you should try to solve it before your warranty runs out.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
As an '08 with 32K miles, the truck is still under warranty. I'd take it to a dealer and have it checked out.

I did they stated its "normal" for oil consumtion to happen around 1000-1500, they told me if it burns at less miles then take it back to them becuase thats not "normal". they also said that its a good sign that the oil is really dark they said it means the oil is keeping your engine clean.
confused.gif

Last edited:
My brotherinlaw bought a new 2006 Dodge Ram with the 4.7, the same time I bought mine with a Hemi. I posted on here about him on another thread. He has changed his oil twice in something like 23,000 miles. He is on his second oil change now. The original oil was in there for almost three years, I doubt he checks it. He is a idiot. I tried to talk to him, about that motor being a sludger, but he said the oil is fine, The Dodge garage said it looked good after 3 years. I am just waiting till he claims Dodges are junk, because it explodes. Its always people like him though, their vehicles go till they rust out.

I drove a 2004 4.7L Dodge Ram for 4 years and 50K miles. M1 10W-30 and purolators 4K intervals. Never had to add any oil and can't remember any bad running at all, let alone due to oil (Noise)? Can you describe your horrible running and why you think it is the oil? Just Curious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
I drove a 2004 4.7L Dodge Ram for 4 years and 50K miles. M1 10W-30 and purolators 4K intervals. Never had to add any oil and can't remember any bad running at all, let alone due to oil (Noise)? Can you describe your horrible running and why you think it is the oil? Just Curious.

the engine knocks for about a mintue in morning, the engine seems slugish and there is not much peep, and the eginie nosie was louder. like i said before that only happened when i put convential oil in after using synethic. right now the engine runs and sound fine and is peepy it just consumes oil and get really dark. Which got me thinking something might be wrong with the engine and wanting to see if other dodge users expreince the same thing.

A 2008 should have the lifetime warranty. using different oils should not cause that. I have used a bunch of different oils in my Hemi and it never uses oil, same with my wifes car, it has 98,000 miles and still uses no oil between changes and I have used alot of different brands.

Originally Posted By: rammo
Originally Posted By: JetStar

the engine knocks for about a mintue in morning, the engine seems slugish and there is not much peep, and the eginie nosie was louder. like i said before that only happened when i put convential oil in after using synethic. right now the engine runs and sound fine and is peepy it just consumes oil and get really dark. Which got me thinking something might be wrong with the engine and wanting to see if other dodge users expreince the same thing.

The knock sounds like a bad filter. You didnt by chance change the filter when you changed back to synthetic?

yes i did change the filter i chagne the filter will all my oil changes.

rammo,

On my 01' Durango with the 4.7 engine I've noticed no oil consumption at all. I too use Mobil 1 and it's been a good synthetic to use. Since you all have some consumption my engine must be a freak!!!! So far I have about 86K.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back