Who else is sick of the over-lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick, I think you are missing the point. It is OK to run headlights on low, that's the point that grampi and I were making. I do the same thing. But I run only one set of factory lights without any illegal retrofits. In Alaska we are REQUIRED to drive with lit low-beam headlights on the interstate.
Running fog lights or other ADDITIONAL lights in the daylight or a clear night is rude. I have been blinded by the foglights before, many times. Mostly SUVs and trucks, sometime cars. In theory they point to the ground in front of the vehicle. In the practice, not so much. If you ever dragged the bottom of your cars bumper over a curb or hit a snow bank, you threw the foglight aim off. How many people do you think re-aim them? I count at least two "one-eyed bandit" on the way to work every day. If people cannot be bothered to replace the main light bulbs, why would they check the aim on all other lights?

Ursae Majoris

You hit the nail on the head. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using the lights during the day to make your vehicle more noticable to other drivers. I believe that's the whole point of DRLs. In fact, a person could have ALL their lights on during the day and not cause a problem to others. It's at night when all these extra lights are an eyesore.

As was mentioned earlier, if you're having problems seeing at night when using only your headlights, then either there's a problem with your headlights, or your vision. About 6 months ago I noticed my headlights didn't seem to be illuminating the way as well as they use to and it was then I noticed the lenses weren't clear anymore. They had a hazy, or fogged look to them. I used some rubbing compund to buff out the lenses and that made a considerable difference. I can see again! Many in this thread have brought up possible problems with headlights that could be causing poor illumination:

Misaligned headlights- improperly aimed headlights can drastically reduce their effectiveness

Hazed lenses- as I mentioned above, also reduces visability

Poor performing headlights from the factory- if this is the case, you might want to consider upgrading to some type of an HID

Also, when was the last time you had an eye exam? I have one once a year, so I know my vision is good.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: mpvue
I bet grampi also thinks everyone mumbles when they are talking to him.

Huh?

exactly.

I guess that joke went over your head. I'll aim lower next time...

I DID get your attempt at humour, which is why I said 'exactly'.
i was going to write LOL but I figured you wouldn't know what that meant.
go ahead and aim your humour like you want the lights aimed, lower.

In fact, a person could have ALL their lights on during the day and not cause a problem to others. It's at night when all these extra lights are an eyesore.

"Looks like its getting dark outside; I'd better turn off all these lights!"

Seriously, though, last night while I was out I studied all the lights of every oncoming car I could while I was driving. I saw numerous cars with various factory-installed "fog" or "driving" lights. None bothered me. Specifically, I would describe them as dimmer than the standard headlights. Not once did I see a fog or driving lamp that appeared to be brighter or more annoying than the standard headlight. As has been mentioned several times in this thread, these lights are aimed LOW.

Now the lights that DID annoy me were those blueish lights on various high-end sedans and SUVs. Infiniti, Audi, BMW.... Many others. These are HID I believe? PERSONALLY, I find these to be MUCH more irritating than any number of fog lights or driving lights. And this is an important point to make: not once did I see a vehicle that had HID lights AND a pair of fog or driving lights. Not once.

Not once did I see a car that looked like it had aftermarket fog lights. Perhaps there really were some, but they didn't stand out. Must've been aimed properly eh?

These are just my observations. Maybe in Grampi's town, everyone has clipped a snow bank and now their driving lights are aimed upwards. Maybe everyone is stuck in the 80s and they're driving little pickups with KC or Hella lights on the roll bar. I don't know.

I'm not that old...geez..

Originally Posted By: css9450
In fact, a person could have ALL their lights on during the day and not cause a problem to others. It's at night when all these extra lights are an eyesore.

"Looks like its getting dark outside; I'd better turn off all these lights!"

Seriously, though, last night while I was out I studied all the lights of every oncoming car I could while I was driving. I saw numerous cars with various factory-installed "fog" or "driving" lights. None bothered me. Specifically, I would describe them as dimmer than the standard headlights. Not once did I see a fog or driving lamp that appeared to be brighter or more annoying than the standard headlight. As has been mentioned several times in this thread, these lights are aimed LOW.

Now the lights that DID annoy me were those blueish lights on various high-end sedans and SUVs. Infiniti, Audi, BMW.... Many others. These are HID I believe? PERSONALLY, I find these to be MUCH more irritating than any number of fog lights or driving lights. And this is an important point to make: not once did I see a vehicle that had HID lights AND a pair of fog or driving lights. Not once.

Not once did I see a car that looked like it had aftermarket fog lights. Perhaps there really were some, but they didn't stand out. Must've been aimed properly eh?

These are just my observations. Maybe in Grampi's town, everyone has clipped a snow bank and now their driving lights are aimed upwards. Maybe everyone is stuck in the 80s and they're driving little pickups with KC or Hella lights on the roll bar. I don't know.

I see, so you go by the rule that if something doesn't bother you, it can't possibly bother anyone else? So I guess it's completely acceptable for the people driving around with their booming car stereos blasting away to do so because if the stereo isn't bothering the user, it can't possibly be bothering anyone else?

You guys are still arguing over something that probably doesn't exist. Grampi, I think if every one in this thread was place in a test bus and one by one we came to the front and pointed out the cars that annoyed us, we'd all choose the same [censored] ones, with maybe a bit of variance. If Nick R or I drove by you in your car with our fog lights on, I bet you wouldn't look twice or think anything of it. It seems as if we've all lost sight of what the heck we're really arguing about, and are arguing just because a line has been drawn in the sand; curmudgeony old men on one side and young punks on the other!
crackmeup2.gif

I'm not that old...geez..

LOL
13.gif

Poor performing headlights from the factory- if this is the case, you might want to consider upgrading to some type of an HID

Also, when was the last time you had an eye exam? I have one once a year, so I know my vision is good.

I just had my eyes checked, per the doc...vision is fine.

To upgrade my truck to HID is quite a bit more expensive then it was just to install aftermarket fog lights

I actually find those with newer cars, HID lights to be more blinding then someone running a set of aftermarket lights.

I actually never had an issue with night driving until all these newer cars came out with better lighting from the factory; I've seen plenty of Hondas, toyota's, chevy trucks, etc that have such bright low beams I've been known to flash them thinking they have their brights on.

It's not the fault of new car owners, but IMHO, perhaps it's the factory quality that needs to be toned down in terms of brightness.

I run into it at least 3 times a week where a fullsize chevy or ford truck will sit on my bumper doing 60mph with just his factory lights on, but they are extremely blinding in one's side mirror. I've even had Honda cars come up behind me, with their lights so bright that I can't see the road in front of me.

So if by chance one owns a newer car, keep in mind, your factory lights are blinding even on low setting to someone in front of you.

gather.... -- it comes down to-- if one has nothing to itch about, invent something to itch about.helen/mods must shake their heads and laugh at so many inane threads. some just want someone to "talk" to/argue with -- whatever the reason -- to each his own.
usually, i don't respond in this type of thread, but i'm doing like you -- having a coffee (or whatever is in your mug) and viewing some entertainment. thank jesus for the ignore feature.have a good day, man.

So I guess it's completely acceptable for the people driving around with their booming car stereos blasting away to do so because if the stereo isn't bothering the user, it can't possibly be bothering anyone else?

Ha ha I KNEW sooner or later loud stereos would get mentioned!

Grampi, tell us what you think of cars with numerous cupholders. Surely there's no need for more than one.

Originally Posted By: css9450
So I guess it's completely acceptable for the people driving around with their booming car stereos blasting away to do so because if the stereo isn't bothering the user, it can't possibly be bothering anyone else?

Ha ha I KNEW sooner or later loud stereos would get mentioned!

Grampi, tell us what you think of cars with numerous cupholders. Surely there's no need for more than one.

I guess when the posts become this ridiculous, the thread has run its course...

css -- you predicted correctly.when one uses car stereo volume levels to compare to whining about fog lights to validate his argument (apples/oranges), he has lost his argument. case closed.what follows next,usually, is a-- i'll take my bat and ball and go home scenario.very predictable.we learned that in debating in high school.
since you predicted correctly -- any calls on today's ball games?

I think the big issue is the stupid plastic lenses most cars come with. They haze over, then turn the lights into glare-monsters for the other drivers, while not putting much light on the road anymore. Particularly with HIDs, plastic lenses should be illegal.

Originally Posted By: yeti
css -- you predicted correctly.when one uses car stereo volume levels to compare to whining about fog lights to validate his argument (apples/oranges), he has lost his argument. case closed.what follows next,usually, is a-- i'll take my bat and ball and go home scenario.very predictable.we learned that in debating in high school.
since you predicted correctly -- any calls on today's ball games?

What closed the case in this thread is the fact that has become quite clear; those of you who want to drive with all the extra lights on are going to do so regardless of who else they bother. You're simply displaying your narcissistic tendancies of thinking only about yourself, and not at all about how your actions effect others...

Last edited:
I just don't feel that my HID retrofit is any more glare causing than an OE HID.

I've already established that my cutoff is identical to an Acura TL's and a little lower than a BMW X5's. I am not running an obnoxious 14K pink color. In comparison to many OEM HIDs, my 4300K are a rather warm white.

And the original designed in 1962 H1 bulbs were grossly inadequate anyway. The HID setup is so much like a factory, I wonder if Mazda actually had two different projector lenses made or if they just stuck H1 bulbs in the HID projector lenses.

And besides, I don't run my fogs if the conditions do not call for it.

I do use them to signal truckers that I am clear of their trailer and they can change lanes. I almost always get them to "thank" me by cycling their trailer taillights on and off after changing lanes. To me it's a lot safer than completely turning my lights on and off at night and it gives them the same message.

Originally Posted By: yeti
gather.... -- it comes down to-- if one has nothing to itch about, invent something to itch about.helen/mods must shake their heads and laugh at so many inane threads. some just want someone to "talk" to/argue with -- whatever the reason -- to each his own.
usually, i don't respond in this type of thread, but i'm doing like you -- having a coffee (or whatever is in your mug) and viewing some entertainment. thank jesus for the ignore feature.have a good day, man.

I'm just a spectator too.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back