Who else is sick of the over-lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Most OEM fog lights are pretty much worthless for anything other than adding visibility to other drivers, and are not very good for adding much visibility in foggy or darker conditions. The best I've seen simply cast a wider beam of LOW, LOW light which helps mark lanes, but not much else. If Nick wants to run his fog lights at all times, more power to him; he’s hurting no one (especially in a Cavalier!) He's doing nothing wrong, and his fog lights will do MUCH less to blind you than his properly-aimed LOW-beams.

I agree 100%. If Nick was driving with JUST his foglights on (IE, no headlights), the non-believers in this thread would see that the OEM foglights are aimed down at the road right in front of the car. NOT at oncoming drivers! Sure, you could drive like this all night but eventually you'd hit a parked car or some other obstacle that otherwise would have been visible if the normal headlights been on.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: mpvue
I bet grampi also thinks everyone mumbles when they are talking to him.

Huh?

exactly.

gathermewool

It is clearly YOU who are confused. Even factory installed and properly aimed fog lights are not meant to be used all the time. That's why they're called "fog" lights. If they were meant to be used all the time, they'd be called "all the time" lights.

Haha, ok. I didn't say they should be used all the time; you're missing my point. Man, you're one curmudgeony old man! :p
Originally Posted By: Kaie
For some reason i think the Euro headlights [E-codes] and euro inside light switch for my MkIII Jetta does this.
18037_1328255964425_1171730506_1026104_7965870_n.jpg

My interior light and headlight adjustment dial looks exactly like that.

My interior light and headlight adjustment dial looks exactly like that.

With further investigation. I have to source that dial setup and some motors from Europe somehow and buy 300 dollar headlight housings [which are widely available] to do that. Not sure if you need to do any weird wiring or if the car has the ability just not the dial and the motor.

Im interested in doing this now haha.

gathermewool

It is clearly YOU who are confused. Even factory installed and properly aimed fog lights are not meant to be used all the time. That's why they're called "fog" lights. If they were meant to be used all the time, they'd be called "all the time" lights.

Haha, ok. I didn't say they should be used all the time; you're missing my point.

I think I am missing your point, but I also think you're missing mine. I'm not saying vehicles shouldn't have these lights, I'm saying they should only be used when they're necessary and when it's appropriate to use them.

gathermewool

Haha, ok. I didn't say they should be used all the time; you're missing my point.

I think I am missing your point, but I also think you're missing mine. I'm not saying vehicles shouldn't have these lights, I'm saying they should only be used when they're necessary and when it's appropriate to use them.

No, I got that. But, it's like someone driving with their low-beams on during the day (or DRL, for that matter.) If it doesn't bother any one, then who cares? If some one drives during the night with their fog lights on and there's no fog, then who are they hurting?

I don't want to get into another back-and-forth with you about glare, so I'll qualify my statement by saying that every one in my general statement, "if it doesn't bother any one," is running OEM foglights that are properly adjusted. If it were otherwise, meaning not aligned properly or what ever, then these same lights, which you would be ok with running during foggy conditions (based solely on the fact that they're called fog lights, not "all the time lights,") then the misaligned beam would refract on the water vapor (aka fog) and cause MORE glare to oncoming drivers than during a clear night, right?

My point again, is that if you're ok with them being used during foggy conditions, then there's no reason not to be during any other conditions.

No, I got that. But, it's like someone driving with their low-beams on during the day (or DRL, for that matter.) If it doesn't bother any one, then who cares? If some one drives during the night with their fog lights on and there's no fog, then who are they hurting?

I don't want to get into another back-and-forth with you about glare, so I'll qualify my statement by saying that every one in my general statement, "if it doesn't bother any one," is running OEM foglights that are properly adjusted. If it were otherwise, meaning not aligned properly or what ever, then these same lights, which you would be ok with running during foggy conditions (based solely on the fact that they're called fog lights, not "all the time lights,") then the misaligned beam would refract on the water vapor (aka fog) and cause MORE glare to oncoming drivers than during a clear night, right?

My point again, is that if you're ok with them being used during foggy conditions, then there's no reason not to be during any other conditions.

It matters because the more lights you have shone in your eyes from oncoming vehicles, whether it's coming from properly aimed fog lights or not, is harder on the eyes, period.

gathermewool

You know what, if you can prove that fog lights that are pointed AT THE GROUND, are inconveniencing others, then I will turn them off. I've never had anyone flash their high beams at me, or give rude gestures,. because I run fog lights on all the time. Heck, DRL should be worse, as they are usually the high beams on low voltage.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Heck, DRL should be worse, as they are usually the high beams on low voltage.

Probably me putting 2500 lumen HIR1's into the high beams on the Buick would irk lots of people. That's why I haven't, yet. The stock 9005's put out 1700 lumens in comparison. The DRL are at half-voltage in my car. IDK what that does to lumen output, but I bet that 1250 lumens is a lot more noticeable than 850.

The stock DRL on the Buick are bright enough to light up the road on really cloudy days. And that's from the factory.

Heck, DRL should be worse, as they are usually the high beams on low voltage.

Not necessarily. Take a closer look at your headlamps and how they work. When you flip what you think are the high beam lamps, they are actually aimed low, and your regular lamps are then switched to throw the light high and far. At least that's the way it was with some of my older cars.

It matters because the more lights you have shone in your eyes from oncoming vehicles, whether it's coming from properly aimed fog lights or not, is harder on the eyes, period.

That's bull on your part right there. If they are properly aimed, they are NOT bothering ANYONE. Do you feel the same about street lights?

You are coming off as a control freak.

gathermewool

You know what, if you can prove that fog lights that are pointed AT THE GROUND, are inconveniencing others, then I will turn them off.

Yes, I can tell by your posts you are deeply concerned about others. Give me a break! You ain't turnin off your lights for nothin!

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

That's bull on your part right there. If they are properly aimed, they are NOT bothering ANYONE. Do you feel the same about street lights?

How can you possibly know what bothers, or doesn't bother everyone else unless you ask each and every driver on the road? If you've read through this topic you'd see others have said these lights bother them. So I'll see your bull flag and raise you two...

Last edited:
gathermewool

You know what, if you can prove that fog lights that are pointed AT THE GROUND, are inconveniencing others, then I will turn them off.

Yes, I can tell by your posts you are deeply concerned about others. Give me a break! You ain't turnin off your lights for nothin!

Oh come off it. You don't know anything about me. I do care about others, very much, thank you. Apparently we both have issues, because you seem to believe that because fog lights bother YOU, that they therefor bother everyone, and therefor the entire world should conform to YOUR wishes (ie turning off fog lights)

How can you possibly know what bothers, or doesn't bother everyone else unless you ask each and every driver on the road? If you've read through this topic you'd see others have said these lights bother them. So I'll see your [censored] flag and raise you two...

And so then, by the same token, how do YOU know that fog lights bother anyone except YOU? As far as I can see noone else has complained about it, nearly everyone seems to be on the side that properly aimed fog lights are NOT a distraction, or a safety hazard.

Last edited:
I bet grampi also thinks everyone mumbles when they are talking to him.

Huh?

exactly.

I guess that joke went over your head. I'll aim lower next time...

How can you possibly know what bothers, or doesn't bother everyone else unless you ask each and every driver on the road? If you've read through this topic you'd see others have said these lights bother them. So I'll see your [censored] flag and raise you two...

And so then, by the same token, how do YOU know that fog lights bother anyone except YOU? As far as I can see noone else has complained about it, nearly everyone seems to be on the side that properly aimed fog lights are NOT a distraction, or a safety hazard.

Have you not read any of the posts in this thread by others who say these lights bother them too? And who is noone?

Last edited:
I think I counted maybe 2 other people, of all those others who posted who complained, and I think one of them was about fake HID lights.

Oh, that's rich. You are seriously going to bring up my grammar? I wasn't going to say anything but... Ain't isn't a word.
wink.gif

I think I counted maybe 2 other people, of all those others who posted who complained, and I think one of them was about fake HID lights.

Oh, that's rich. You are seriously going to bring up my grammar? I wasn't going to say anything but... Ain't isn't a word.
wink.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you said these lights aren't bothering ANYONE. That's exactly the same as saying they bother no one. If there's two or three people just in this thread that says these lights bother them, think about how many drivers on the road they may bother. Then again, you can't possibly be bothered with something like that because you don't even think about it anymore. You just always turn on all your lights. Sorry, but you're doing a poor job convincing me you care about anyone but yourself...

wink.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you said these lights aren't bothering ANYONE. That's exactly the same as saying they bother no one. If there's two or three people just in this thread that says these lights bother them, think about how many drivers on the road they may bother. Then again, you can't possibly be bothered with something like that because you don't even think about it anymore. You just always turn on all your lights. Sorry, but you're doing a poor job convincing me you care about anyone but yourself...

Ya know, interestingly they lights on don't benefit me. They don't illuminate the road during the day. Perhaps it should be thought of that if they bug you, then you are noticing those cars that have them on, they are more visible. That is the reason I keep at least my headlights on, to make my car more visible to others, so as to help avoid accidents. And when I say I don't think about it anymore, I mean I don't conciously do it. I start the car, and the very next thing I do is turn on the headlights, before I even buckle my seatbelt. It's a routine. Do you think about turning the key and fastening the seatbelt? Probably not, it's just one of those now mindless tasks that are second nature.

My mom is the same way, as is my dad. We always drive with headlights on. You know why? My mom had very bad cataracts in both eyes a year or two ago, due to the steroids she's been on over the years for the asthma she had that used to be really bad. She had difficulty seeing. She compared it to looking through a dirty windshield- all the time. Before me and my dad forbade her from driving, she told us how much more visible cars that had headlights on were than those that didn't. Hmmm.. interesting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back