Blinded by the light.

Interesting statements, and it would make sense, as there is more energy in a higher frequency.

ive been surprised by the glare from the latest generation of factory LEDs. That’s not a driver/owner issue. They seem to pierce from a distance whenever coming over the next hill and up it towards me.

I recently moved out into more of a country setting - not many streetlights, no sidewalks, all county. Most folks either have newer vehicles with higher intensity headlamps, or older vehicles with drop-in LEDs. i drive a truck, sitting up at standard truck height, and am surprised by what beams into my vision. I suppose I can’t blame others for headlight upgrades - it’s dark out here and there’s long commutes and all the critters. The funny thing is, most of the LED mods compare with the sharper glare from the oem LED lamps, or at least I’m getting used to it.

smaller emission surfaces emit higher intensity light through those small lenses, than a good ole 8” wide plastic headlamp assembly. Both can be equally annoying, but the old school assembly seems less “piercing.” maybe that’s just me.

The Mercedes has active headlights, completely automatic and governed by the forward looking cameras. Not only do they switch to high automatically, but steer the lighting away from oncoming traffic. Actually pretty amazing to see the transitions. Cornering lighting included as a bonus.
I know, you get what you pay for. At least with MB.
I have the same headlights in my C43; I plan to code them to European spec so that they wil be even more effective.

Can't stand all the nutty lights on cars now. Laser tail lights and arc welder head lights. That does nothing to prevent a wreck and likely enhances the chance of one. I've had to wear sun glasses at night to try to stop eye damage from the laser diode tail lights.
Oh lights and wrecks, tow trucks that are full of flashing lights as well as police cars with the same and pulled to the side of the road are hit all the time. Again I think its the blinding effect that is the problem. LED's need to be legislated off of motor vehicles period. And to go back to the DOT light candle power restrictions on automotive lights, of the 60's and 70's.

Today's cars won't let you run with high beams and fogs...so you must be talking about older cars, or just not happy with the brightness of today's modern lights.

Well, they're not supposed to at least. Mine does. (Forscan programming)

Of course, all the lighting on the truck is stock and the truck isn't leveled, so everything is properly aimed, and I do run fog lights if my headlights are on. Mainly because around here, a little extra light thrown off to the side in the ditches can be the difference between making it home and smacking one of the millions of deer we have hanging around out in the country.

I genuinely believe a lot of people think the blue light on the dash means their headlights are on.

The fog lights in clear weather thing is just dumb. It's terrible when the road is wet because the lights reflect off the wet road too.
Most of the “fog lights” on vehicles are 99% decoration and 1% function. My 300 was the only car I’ve owned with proper fog lights, a narrow height but incredibly wide beam. Every other car I’ve had has just put out some blobs of light that are useless in actual inclement weather… or really any other time.

Totally agree with the poster above who said that if a vehicles headlights are properly adjusted they won't blind oncoming vehicles. Fog lights are another story. One of the (many) positive things about driving in Germany during the 11 years I was stationed there while in the Army is driving with fog lights on during clear conditions in Germany will get you ticketed by the police. Particularly if a driver has the high intensity rear fog light ( a standard feature on all cars sold in Europe, and present on most European cars sold here in the US) turned on in clear conditions. I've been badly blinded driving behind a moron in this country who was in an Audi with it's high intensity rear fog on in clear conditions at night and couldn't pass due to oncoming traffic.

I adjusted my passenger side headlight slightly to the RH shoulder - when one of the culprit vehicles is coming towards me - I hold my lane by watching the shoulder and don’t get blinded …
I do use the yellow glasses as well …

A newer suv with the led headlights and DRLs was coming my way as I sat at a stop sign, I could see from about a 1/4 mile the turn signal was on. But as they approached the glare washed out the turn signal. And pickups are already an issue with their height but the Ford LEDs are way to bright.

Many vehicles coming at me seem to have their high beams and fog lights on in clear weather. Is everyone blind or just doesn't care about blinding oncoming traffic? Do you do this? I just use my low beams and see just fine. and most of these vehicles have very bright lights to start with.
Many I don't think are aimed correctly from the factory. Manufacturers should be using projectors with LEDS as they are much more efficient than reflectors.

Get some night driving glasses or the yellow polarized fishing glasses
My wife has lighter eyes and an astigmatism and her issues with light got even worse after Lasik around age 30.

She recently got some Rx glasses for the astigmatism with glare reduction and reports it helps a great deal. She hates bright headlights oncoming or in the rear view mirrors but the glasses have definitely benefitted her.

My previous car had high intensity projector headlights. They were great for me but often times I could tell oncoming drivers were getting too much glare from me. Drivers flashing their lights at me when I was on low beam. I really felt bad about that. Nothing I could do.

A newer suv with the led headlights and DRLs was coming my way as I sat at a stop sign, I could see from about a 1/4 mile the turn signal was on. But as they approached the glare washed out the turn signal. And pickups are already an issue with their height but the Ford LEDs are way to bright.
Live near a crossroads where they decided to dig down when upgrading a road to use it for drainage - this created a ramp where when cars pull too far up it’s unreal light in your face … Not safe.
I stop a car length back … helps others LH turn as well …

Back