Worthwhile purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know somebody who is looking to sell their '86 Caprice (an N69 Brougham). The car's been painted a couple of times (Dark Blue Metallic), the odometer reads 502,000 miles and the history is pretty much unknown.

Only thing I know about the car is it is a US grey import, this guy is the third owner in Kuwait, and he's changed his oil every 5,000 miles with various 20W-50 offerings and an ACDelco PF454 oil filter. ATF has been changed every 6 months, spark plugs once a year. Other than that there's nothing much to say.

I doubt the engine in the vehicle is original. The engine code on the VIN is an H (305 4 BBL), but there's a carb'd 350 under the hood. If memory serves me right, the biggest offering on the N69 in 1986 was the 305 anyway. It's also got the four speed overdrive transmission, and interestingly an LSD.

There's a piston ring issue, however, and the spark plug next to the brake booster (driver's firewall side) keeps getting covered in oil.

These cars have gained popularity again all of a sudden, so their asking prices have gone up. But the guy is willing to let it go for $500.

Owned an '80 N69 over 10 years ago, and I love these cars...so it's hard not to go for it. But it's going to be a money pit and more or less a project. Knowing myself, I will be ordering parts for it left, right and centre so I am trying to think logically.

That said, if anybody's in the know, I have a question. How difficult would it be to throw in something like a Chevy 502 crate motor under the hood, and what sort of modifications would be needed to the drivetrain (what transmission, rear end, etc.)?

The rest would probably entail a body off frame, bare metal paint job, '87-'90 front end, Brougham LS vinyl roof and opera lights, and a complete leather interior.

Doing an off frame rebuild always gets expensive but there are from World products/ castings 427cubic inch or bigger small block crate engines that are really nice engines . I was looking to buy one of their regular 87 octane 602 cubic 1000 horse power supercharged marine engines for my boat but I sold the boat. look up their website it is fun to look at their products.

If you're in Kuwait, $500 is chump change. Just for bragging right, you should get this puppy and do a oil and transmission fluid change a few times and it should be fine, if it is still running.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Yes, it still runs and drive nicely. Drove it around, and it brought back some good memories (learnt to drive in my old one).

It's a real gamble, they have not gotten any better as they have aged another 10 years, but if you know what you are in for the price of entry is low enough.

It could be a cool car when you are done.

For $500, you can't really go wrong - how many decently running cars can you get into for $500?

502 Crate engine...man, you and I think alike....that wold be one of my first thoughts - stuff a big-block of some kind in it, and go burn rubber!!!

They're making some big small blocks nowadays, something like a cammed 383 stroker would be fun for a couple $1000s. I always liked the looks of 1980s caprices.

IMO the best part of the brougham was all the velvet plush seats etc.

Can you still get leaded gas there? Does this car still have US spec stuff like the feedback carb, catalytic convertor etc?

I'd also jump on it for $500. But I realize that's easy to say with it not being my money!

Did overseas odometers have 6 digits? Here in the 'States, I think they only had 5-digit odometers (I know the GM G-bodies only had 5-digit odometers).

Thanks for all the input!
thumbsup2.gif
Going to take a closer look at the car on Saturday and make a decision.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Did overseas odometers have 6 digits? Here in the 'States, I think they only had 5-digit odometers (I know the GM G-bodies only had 5-digit odometers).

I think only the Canadian models came with 6 digit odometers. Middle Eastern ones came with a 200 km/h (120 MPH) speedometer with 5 digit odometers.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Can you still get leaded gas there? Does this car still have US spec stuff like the feedback carb, catalytic convertor etc?

Leaded gas hasn't been available since 1995. The oxygen sensors are still on the vehicle, but the catalytic converter has been removed. Considering it was imported before 1995, it had to run on leaded gas at the time (only thing available). The fuel filler has also been replaced to accept the leaded pump nozzle.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For $500, you can't really go wrong - how many decently running cars can you get into for $500?

502 Crate engine...man, you and I think alike....that wold be one of my first thoughts - stuff a big-block of some kind in it, and go burn rubber!!!

Yes, retain the stock appearance but give people a big surprise when it comes to performance!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
It's a real gamble, they have not gotten any better as they have aged another 10 years, but if you know what you are in for the price of entry is low enough.

It could be a cool car when you are done.

Definitely!
thumbsup2.gif

The 85+ H-code added the knock sensor, hence half a point compression, 5 more degrees timing and jumped from 145hp to 165hp. There WAS a 350 in 86 - the E code cop 350 (170hp big whoop)

however, GM thru resellers like pace chevy etc, sells a 260hp legal, warranted 350 based on the 4 bolt 3970010 block for about $1400ish. thats the best bang/buck and the right ecm will keep it legal for the sniffer. the E4ME carb will even work, just dream up your own dual setup or run 3" primary pipes and dual 2.25's from a 2 outlet cat

...then why does GMPP recommend it in all their high-HP engines?

Not the best visc. to use, but in Kuwait, I doubt a 20W-50 is going to do any damage, just lower mileage a bit.

If they do, it's because they have different rings. Any viscosity other than specified in the owner's manual can make passenger car/truck OEM engine rings stick in GM vehicles.

Not my opinion. Comes straight from the tech department at GM/powertrain/engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back