Dirty fuel injector

Status
Not open for further replies.
voltage at the wires maybe enough to jolt you but not enough to fire a plug. Check the wire/coil for electrical conductivity and resistance.

Having two or more problems at the same time sure complicates things, doesn't it?
I'd take a compression check, an dive deeper in to the ignition for weaknesses.
Did you clear the codes? Are you sure this is new?

Compression is good across all cylinders. Measuring 165-180 across the board. The Cyl 5 is now firing correctly. I can unplug the fuel injector harness for #5 and the engine runs very rough, problem is it's running rough to begin with, so unplugging #5 is pretty bad.

Will be checking the other fuel injectors this evening. It would seem this engine was misfiring on more than one cyl but didn't throw the code.

Couldn't you do the same test (disabling injector) on all the cylinders one at a time? As a matter of fact, note down the actual drop in the RPM. You might be able to find another cylinder giving the trouble.

Last edited:
What does the spark plug in cylinder #5 look like?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Couldn't you do the same test (disabling injector) on all the cylinders one at a time? As a matter of fact, note down the actual drop in the RPM. You might be able to find another cylinder giving the trouble.

This is what I did that lead me to Cyl 5. Cyl 2 was also a problem, replaced that injector too. it's still in pieces in the garage. I found another problem. I Engine shut off module (Part number XF2E-9J559-AC. i think they are also called intake runner control module?) was missing an arm. The actuator arm that goes to the bank closest to the firewall was gone. The other arm was disconnected and all the white plastic clips that hold the arms in place were broken and sitting in pieces below the part. *sigh*

Last edited:
I have an update on this! It's working great!

The issue was the intake runner control, AND fuel injectors. 3 of them. I hooked up a home-brew flow testing rig this weekend and tested all the injectors. The plugged ones (there were 2), gave just a small amount of fuel over the 1 minute test. Maybe 1-2% of the working injectors. Just a few drops. Another injector was ~20% low, and the other three were good. All measuring around the same. I've replaced the 3 injectors, left the butterfly valves that the runner control module actuated open, and it runs like a champ! First time it has run well in over a year!

On a side note, the injectors I got from NAPA were all broken. I got 3 from them, all of them leaked. Some of them quite a bit. I honestly have no idea why they would all leak like that, I was a bit confused. I got 3 from Autozone and they worked great. No problems to report.

Last edited:
Good job with the diagnostics, especially for a neighbor's vehicle. Any idea why the injectors plugged up in the first place? I find it unusual to have such a problem on a healthy engine.

My suspicion is that the injector was leaking. The Ford Windstar with the 3.8L V6 also has an issue with EGR ports, they are upwind of the fuel injectors and each (there are 6 of them, one for each cyl) can get clogged with carbon build up. The injectors get hit with this stuff, and if they leak the fuel with carbonize on the injector tip. This seems to be what happened. The build up on the injector was very specific. You can see it clearly in the picture. It's in a perfect circle around the holes. Like a liquid dropping off the surface. No other portion of the injector tip has build up. Looks like it was leaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back