Lucas Break In Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLR

Does anyone know the amount of calcium, phosphorus and zinc in Lucas Break In Additive?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
0-0-0 is my guess.

+1.

If you're looking for that stuff, Lucas is the wrong direction to be looking.

-Spyder

You got us both there. But that amount of zinc and this line from the same data sheet tells me, personally, that the only thing I'd consider breaking in with it would be a lawn mower:

"Not designed for passenger car use".

-Spyder

If you are looking to boost ZDDP, or want to use a break in oil additive look at Red Lines product. IMO it would be a better choice than the Lucas product.

Originally Posted By: JLR
Does anyone know the amount of calcium, phosphorus and zinc in Lucas Break In Additive?
If I knew it would not make any difference, oz,,grams, and so on,,someone would have a difference of opinon, but one things is for sure,,,they use to sell a break in oil somewhere, saw it on an old ad from the 50s. Use 15w4o.....

Moly is the correct additive for break-in. It helps the cylinder hone flat, rather than being rolled-over.

If you want to poison your oil and engine with 50000ppm ZDDP, go right ahead.

If you put 2 oz. of the additive in 5 quarts of oil you would be increasing the zinc from 800 to 900 ppm in the SM oil to around 1400 or 1500 ppm. That level wouldn't be far off the 1200 ppm that most people have said is the correct level of zinc.

That's double the API SM maximum for zinc levels, and that max is to protect the cat. As Audi said, if anyone wants to poison their engine, or cat, with that much zinc, go right ahead.

If I were given a bottle I'd toss it into a lawn mower where there is no cat and its not an issue. I wouldn't buy it though, and it wouldn't come within 6' of my crankcase - on any car I bought.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: JLR
If you put 2 oz. of the additive in 5 quarts of oil you would be increasing the zinc from 800 to 900 ppm in the SM oil to around 1400 or 1500 ppm. That level wouldn't be far off the 1200 ppm that most people have said is the correct level of zinc.

If you feel the need to use it contact Red Line and ask for Dave. He can give you the correct dose that will not kill your CC. I would not suggest adding a full bottle to any CC equipt vehicle, but IMO adding up to 1 ounce per qt of oil is not going to ruin the CC in an older flat tappet engine. Especially if the host oil is low in ZDDP to begin with. Also a tight engine that is not burning oil is far less likely to have CC issues. JMO

I also had a similar conversation with Dave at RL a while back.

Note I was meaning to say the correct dose for the RL product. I had the conversation with the RL people and am a lot more confident in their products than Lucas.

I wonder if folks stand around the lunch counter talking if they kill their cat. I know its the first thing I talk about, the cat is really important u know. GMAB

I haven't killed a cat yet, been driving since the mids 70's and have used tons of MMO in the gas as well.

I think the ZDDP added to oil in a sound engine that uses little to no oil is a non issue. OTOH an if engine maker claims a qt of oil used in a 1000 miles is normal, then that could be why ZDDP levels have been reduced with these newer high tech CC. In the event there are a lot of cars falling under the mfg accepted 1 qt of oil/1000 miles as being OK the streets could be littered with dead cats. LOL Just thinking out loud.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I wonder if folks stand around the lunch counter talking if they kill their cat. I know its the first thing I talk about, the cat is really important u know. GMAB

Its one of those things that isn't a big deal until you get a cat related CEL. Given the cost to replace, not a lot of fun - especially for those who have to pass emissions tests to keep their cars registered.

I've yet to pop a CEL code of any kind, but I guarantee that if I got to choose from the many possibilities, the cat would rank near the top of the list of [censored] I just wouldn't want to deal with. I'll take more moly or boron over ridiculous amounts of ZDDP that are of dubious benefit, and fall under the likely to do more harm than good category, in anything produced in at least the last 15 years or so. And if its that old it shouldn't need a product labeled as engine break-in product.

And when they add the disclaimer that its not intended for passenger vehicles, then you know you're dealing with snake oil of the worst kind.

In the interests of full disclosure, I will admit that I'm not a fan of Lucas at all and would not buy, nor put, any of their products into car I own now or at any point in the future.

-Spyder

In my modern cars I run Mobil 1 with no additives. When you ask my 65 Mustang and 71 Cutlass about their catalytic converter they say "what's a catalytic converter"; "just give me a little more zinc to go with my SM Quaker State".

I use Mobil 1 in my modern cars with no additives. When you ask my 65 Mustang and 71 Cutlass about their catalytic converter they say "what's a catalytic converter"; "just give me a little zinc to go with my SM Quaker State".

Back to the original question. Does anyone (besides Spyder who is keeping it a secrete) know how much phosphorus and calcium are in Lucas Break In Additive?

lmaoff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i use t6 Rotella, 5w40 add 1 qt of MMO , set it and forget. Runs great,,252,000 miles and climbing fast.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back