Lucas Break In Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JLR
I use Mobil 1 in my modern cars with no additives. When you ask my 65 Mustang and 71 Cutlass about their catalytic converter they say "what's a catalytic converter"; "just give me a little zinc to go with my SM Quaker State".

In your older cars, the cat objection I raise is moot. API SM oils don't give them the ZDDP they need, so I agree its good to add some more from another source. I guess I just take issue with how are they are labeling it as an engine break-in additive, while clearly an "engine breaking" additive (for new vehicles) would depict a little more truth in advertising.

Clearly this is not an issue for your use, so again my objections to it don't apply. All that's left is my own bias (which I concede readily and don't keep secret), and that doesn't apply here either. So, in short, I have nothing left to add on this one :)

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
lmaoff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i use t6 Rotella, 5w40 add 1 qt of MMO , set it and forget. Runs great,,252,000 miles and climbing fast.............

MMO isn't made by Lucas. I have bought MMO that I will be using soon (both in the gas tank, and the crankcase - and possibly in the cylinders too as a piston soak). I also use tc-w3, so clearly I have no issues with additives in the general sense. Just with specific ones, and the ones that I do I admit my bias so that the OP can take my 2 cents with the grain of salt that its meant to be taken with.

I could add a shopping list of additive related stuff, not just by Lucas, that I won't use and the reasons why - but they're off topic and of no help to the OP here (and I have no interest in earning a vacation by derailing his thread).

-Spyder

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back