Consumer Reports Engine Sludge Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? CR actually reports bad information on Toyota? Is this legitamte? Kidding aside interesting information.

Since the article mentioned the infamous Chrysler 2.7 V6, I'll chime in with my own sludge report. My wife's Sebring Conv. has a terrible life: little warm-up, short trip, shut-off; repeat; short drive home.
Knowing of the 2.7's tendency to sludge-up, I've changed the oil every 3K without exception, using a Mopar filter. We recently had the water pump replaced (7 hr flat rate job!) and this was the first chance I had to actually see the cams, etc. Glad to report the motor is absolutely spotless-no varnishing, no anything at 73K miles. I think that if you really stay on top of these motors, they'll last a while (I'm hoping.)
Oils used: Penn Plat/but mostly Valv. Maxlife 10-30.

Originally Posted By: Bill888
Since the article mentioned the infamous Chrysler 2.7 V6, I'll chime in with my own sludge report. My wife's Sebring Conv. has a terrible life: little warm-up, short trip, shut-off; repeat; short drive home.
Knowing of the 2.7's tendency to sludge-up, I've changed the oil every 3K without exception, using a Mopar filter. We recently had the water pump replaced (7 hr flat rate job!) and this was the first chance I had to actually see the cams, etc. Glad to report the motor is absolutely spotless-no varnishing, no anything at 73K miles. I think that if you really stay on top of these motors, they'll last a while (I'm hoping.)

As you have witnessed, a 3,000 mile oil change interval is a true fail safe and cuts down on problems on engines with a sludge history or history of fuel dilution problems.

Originally Posted By: Bill888

Chrysler made changes to this engine (2.7) to make it more durable. I think the changes came around 2003.

There were a good number of ongoing changes, but nothing seems to have cured the problem. Someone (an engineer IIRC) wrote on this site a while back that when the motor is shut down, the heat is trapped and, without the elec. fan running, tends to cook the oil before it can drain back into the sump. Of all the reasons, this one definitely made sense (at least in the Sebring body configuration.)

I had a 2.7 in an Intrepid. Loved the car hated the engine. the changes that I read about were: improved PCV valve and hoses. Enlarged oil return holes. On the advice I received from several forums I ran synthetic oil for 3,000 mile max. oil changes and kept the PCV valve and hoses clean. I sold it after 125,000 reliable miles.
The abundant 'mechanics specials' (blown 2.7's) seem to disappear from ebay around the 2004 model year.

We had a 2004 Stratus with the 2.7L engine here at work, and while I can't comment on oil sludging (it was gov't owned, gov't maintained), it sure was a spunky little engine. Nobody'd drive it because it would randomly not start (I suspected fuel pump relay, but even after switching relays, it kept with the problem). Which made it good for me because I'd drive the heck out of it. And I actually liked that little car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back