A gun for a first time user?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I know I now have to get one...as this area is starting to get rough. (For protection of myself and family).

I need something that is easy to use, and that would be a good gun to learn on. I'm going to go "shooting" with a few friends (who already have them), and plan on signing up for a few classes too.

I'm kinda a small guy, so something that won't knock me over would be a good start...Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Smith & Wesson M&P .38 special. Easy to shoot and maintain and will stop the bad guy.
good choice and easy to hide in ur coat, windbreaker, ect. I like a revolver best. OK,,im a cowboy.I like to see the bullets

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Smith & Wesson M&P .38 special. Easy to shoot and maintain and will stop the bad guy.
I would agree and stock up on the proper ammo a gun with out ammo is an expensive hammer.

Dave, where do you live?

I moved out of Roseville (right at the nick of time too!) and over to the north end of Harrison Township. Roseville was becoming an extension of Detroit (gangs, robberies, etc) so we had to get out before we were next.

I bought a Springfield .40 XDM for protection and have my CPL.

My advice is to get your CPL 'ASAP' and go gun shopping, as you can get recommendations on a website day in and day out but the best way to pick a handgun is to visit your local gun store and pick them up and fire them at the range, see how they feel and handle. IMO, the .40 I bought it very big, so I'd get something smaller.

I agree with everyone on the revolver. I would pick either a ruger or a smith wesson in .357 or .38 special. I'd probably go for the .357 like a model 65 smith so you can shoot both shells.

A good for home and target practice would be an Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 in a 4" barrel. .38+p for the defense ammo.

For carry depends on what size you are and how you dress.

There have been a few threads here with a LOT of EXCELLENT info. I'd highly suggest you look for those and read up.

Whatever you do, SHOOT THE WEAPON BEFORE BUYING one. And once you get something, shoot it often to stay sharp! I just got back increasing the lead count at the range by about 300 rounds.

Take care and BE SAFE! Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
A good for home and target practice would be an Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 in a 4" barrel. .38+p for the defense ammo.

For carry depends on what size you are and how you dress.

There have been a few threads here with a LOT of EXCELLENT info. I'd highly suggest you look for those and read up.

Whatever you do, SHOOT THE WEAPON BEFORE BUYING one. And once you get something, shoot it often to stay sharp! I just got back increasing the lead count at the range by about 300 rounds.

Take care and BE SAFE! Bill

Yes sir!
34.gif

I plan to try before I buy...hopefully I'll have some choices at the local gun range..

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Dave, where do you live?

I moved out of Roseville (right at the nick of time too!) and over to the north end of Harrison Township. Roseville was becoming an extension of Detroit (gangs, robberies, etc) so we had to get out before we were next.

My advice is to get your CPL 'ASAP' and go gun shopping, as you can get recommendations on a website day in and day out but the best way to pick a handgun is to visit your local gun store and pick them up and fire them at the range, see how they feel and handle. IMO, the .40 I bought it very big, so I'd get something smaller.

West side of the metro area (Canton, Livonia, etc)

Looking into the CPL as I speak...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I'm kinda a small guy, so something that won't knock me over would be a good start...Thanks!

I forgot to comment on this. Only in the movies and TV.

My 10 year old daughter who weighs 90lbs wet shoots most of my weapons with not too many problems. (her biggest problem is the weight of the weapon. A 44mag 6.5inch blackhawk loaded is sorta too heavy for her. She will shoot my reduced loads with it though)

My 17yr daughter shoots everything WELL. And she is maybe 120lbs.

Training with practice works! VERY WELL!

Bill

Originally Posted By: [email protected]

I like revolvers and I think they are OK for self defense and even concealed carry, but I prefer the above suggestion and an autoloader. I like all metal guns with a hammer like the beretta 92. But the springfield, glock or S&W versions in 9mm or .40 would probably be ideal. They give you the simplicity and ease of use of a revolver and the firepower and shootability of an autoloader. I would definitely test fire a revolver and then one of the mentioned "glock style" guns and see what you think.

Glocks are about as easy to operate and maintain as it gets. That would be my vote for something to learn on and carry.

A S&W revolver is also easy to operate and maintain, if you prefer a revolver.

robert

But guys remember that we are talking about the FIRST TIME owner. There is NO arguing that once we open the cylinder of a revolver that the weapon is SAFE.

Take a clip/mag out of most semi-autos and they still can shoot the one round. Even people who have been around weapons day in and day out still AD their Glock.

Plus if the thing does not go off, a revolver you pull the trigger again. A Semi-auto requires a lot more action.

First gun = Revolver in my book. Safe, easy to use and understand. Get an semi-auto for the next firearm once you have some rounds down range.

Take care, Bill

PS: BTW, I carry both types and own a "few" of both weapons. So I'm not biased other than above.

We use this old thing as the standard carry weapon at work.
Very easy to use, and very accurate at a reasonable range.
For defending the house, however, nothing beats a 12 gauge pump.
You hardly need to aim, and as long as you have the butt back in the pocket, it won't hurt you.
You won't need to fire it twice anyway.
The mere sound of jacking in a shell will have the bad guys turning tail, so you may not even need to fire it once.

I have to agree with Bill and Johnny.

In fact, Bill mentioned the gun that I purchased for my first gun - the S&W 686. I got a 686+ for my first, which comes in a 7 round cylinder you can use .357 or .38 special rounds. I still have it today and love it. My mother has fired it chambered with .38s and she didn't have any trouble.

I would not want to carry it but I did for several years. It does make a great first gun and good for home defense.

My parents are in the same boat as the OP. My dad has a few rifles, but they're considering a handgun for home. I recommended any .38 S&W revolver that fits their hands the best. A model 36 or 686 or even one of the classic lines, depending on which frame size you like would be my choice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back