First gas weed trimmer, what a piece of junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew, I avoided buying a replacement carburetor for my Weedeater trimmer, by taking it apart with a small Philips head screwdriver, using a No. 11 X-acto blade to gently remove the gaskets, cleaning it in Stoddard fluid, and using an air compressor to blow it out. Didn't even have to buy new gaskets, which I know is best but wanted to see if I could get away with it. Not much to them. Problem comes from gel that forms on internal screen.

I don't buy the high end machine argument for a trimmer.

I have a homelite trimmer that I have owned for about 5 years and it gets used twice a week for about 45 minutes.

Only problems I have had were:
fuel line needed replacement
Carb prime bulb torn and replaced
Trimmer spool retainer piece replaced from wear tapping on ground while advancing the string.

Engine runs great and has never given me any problems. I run 32:1 fuel/oil mix and still am on the original spark plug (no fouling).

I have no complaints.

I do have a weedeater blower and its carb broke after 4 years. Easy and cheap fix with a replacemnt carb off of ebay.

BTW, do not buy parts from your local shop. A local dealer wanted 79 dollars for a carb for my weedeater engine. I got a equivalent carb form Ebay for 11 bucks plus shipping.

Andy

I bought a Bolens BL100 at Lowes and it is much nicer than either of the Homelites I've owned.

Dirt cheap, relatively lots of power, relatively easy to start (pretty much exactly what JHZR2 posted), relatively light weight, seems well built. Only problem is that hearing protection is REQUIRED, man that thing is LOUD!

i went to lowes myself to buy one of those bolens, with the ryobi rebadged engine.... well some sort of compression release on it and it ran like crap....took it back and got a much better troybilt ( still mtd though ) with a ryobi rebadge, but a split, straight shaft brushcutter. quite nice.... no compression release!! ryobi's are a good 2 cycle, though mtd did buy homelite, so some ryobi brand trimmers with homelite engines and such are now mixed with real ryobi engines. the only thing i though was wrong with the troy bilt one, wasn't loud enough, thats why i'm going to make a straight pipe for it. other then that, the 18 inch cut, and the fact it uses a clutch, makes it easier to use...

Don't go to Home Depot to buy replacement fuel line for these trimmers. Their clear vinyl fuel line will get hard on you and leak in a matter of months. Instead, go to your local hobby shop and get the yellow Tygon Fuel and Lubricant Tubing. It stays flexible and is a clearly superior product.

quote:

Originally posted by mtgrs737:
Buy High end machines from established small engine shops and the advice and service you get will be worth the extra price. Around here (Kansas) small shops owned by father/sons have reasonable pricing and service that is second to none!

That's the best advice yet. I found a local place that I buy all my home/yard equipment from. They are extremely knowledgeable and the prices are on par with Home Depot/Lowes. If the shop is more $$, it's because they don't carry the same low-end model, not because of a mark-up. I have a 7 year old RedMax weed trimmer that starts on 1 or two pulls everytime. I do use fuel stabilizer and maintain it annually (plug, filter, lube). I've even used the blade attachment to clear some heavy brush. He also carried Stihl and Shindaiwa, but the RedMax was on sale that week.

Don't buy a cheap product twice when you can own a superior product that will easily last at 2X as long, costing less in the end.

I've always used cheapie string trimmers.They require about one hour of 'breakin' before working them hard.Now I have a bolens that I paid about $50 for at Lowe's.Using walmart outboard oil in the gallon bottle mixed at 40:1 the bolen's starts easy and good power.always use high octane gasoline.

I bought a 20cc featherlite from walmart 8 years ago for $40 and it still runs perfect. Still using the original plug. It gets used every week to edge 1/3 acre lawn. I'm very happy with mine.

I wonder how Sears or HD or Lowes make any money on the POS power equipment they sell with so many customers returning the machines. BTW I use Stihl equipment.

I just went through a pretty old Ryobi this afternoon. A guy brought over 3 whackers he got at an auction. Two newer ones and the (15 year) old one.

The Ryobi runs like a dream, one of the new ones was locked up and the third doesn't engage when you pull on the starter rope. Why did they think a two-stage (complicated) recoil starter was going to be better than a one stage. "Hey, the old way works great!...let's change it"!

My mom once had one of them Homelite pieces of **** with an upside down cylinder that had no disengaging clutch on it. I could never get it to run right. Better of with something better like stihl, tanaka, husqvuarna, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
quote:

Originally posted by 04SpecV:
I got a Stihl FS 80 last year. It kicks butt. It started on the first pull after sitting all winter. I think it has a bit too much power for my needs, though. We have some cheap one. I didn't realize a smaller cc motor could have that much more power
smile.gif

Try running RC car glow engine fuel through it (nitro methane/methonal mix). It'll have some serious balls.
that would be interesting to try out in our farms 21 cc tanaka trimmer

I've got 2 of the CARB tuned weedeaters. Neither ran good enough to use. I ended up taking a die grinder to the carb adjusting screws, made slots for a screwdriver.

Both run great now!

Originally Posted By: blano
For instance Husky sells chainsaws through HD and Lowes. IN reality these saws are just rebadged, orange poulans that suck quality wise. Same thing with Echo, saws and trimmers sold at HD.
BTW just because a piece of equipment has a certain brand name on it doesnt means its a quality piece. Stihls cheaper trimmers are made by Ryan/ and ryobi and are not up to the same levels of performance as say a fs 80, or 110. Buyer beware..

I Do not think my Husqvarna 340 bought from Lowes some years ago is a rebranded poulan......

Neither is the 455 Rancher they still have at sale at my local lowes.

And while maybe not top of the line pro grade, I have had nothing but good luck with the Echo gear Ive gotten from HD.

Last edited:
The Echo stuff sold at HD is the same as the dealers and at the same price. Why anyone would buy one from HD instead of the dealer is beyond me.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I have a cheap homelite trimmer. It takes 2 pulls on full choke full throttle, then 1 pull on 1/2 choke full throttle to start. I run it on 1/2 choke for about a minute and switch over to no choke.

I've had this one for five years using it once every two weeks in the summer. I'm pretty pleased with it!

I have the same unit and like it a lot. The previous Homelite lasted about 14 yrs so I can't complain.
I find them well balanced, light and easy to use.

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
Why anyone would buy one from HD instead of the dealer is beyond me.

Convenience? 0% interest for one year on an HD credit card? No questions asked return policy?
If something goes wrong, HD's service depot is..... the dealer.
A lot of people (not me) like the convenience of a 1 stop huge chain big box for security. The local hole in the wall power equipment store can be intimidating to some.

Last edited:
My problem with dealing with "dealers" is their apparent delight in shaking every last cent out of your pockets for parts that should be selling for one fifth of what they charge.

I fully understand the need for the dealer to make a buck. However, when they blatantly gouge consumers, they will not get my business if there's any possibility for me to get what I need elsewhere.

My little 32cc Ryobi trims my 10 acres plus I do yard work for a cemetery. She does 20+ acres every other week and hasn't skipped a beat! Starts in two pulls every time. Torquey little think too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back