First gas weed trimmer, what a piece of junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought my first gas weed trimmer, a weed-eater 2stroke featherlite model. Even after reading the instructions, it took 20 pulls for the 1st start. I let it warm up, and it died as soon as I gave it more gas. It only runs 1/2 way decent on the 1/2 choke setting. I lowered the idle, but it dident change how bad it runs. Is this a junk brand? Is there anything I can adjust to make it run better? I bought it at wal-mart, it just might be a cheap wally only model thats crap?I did mix the included oil with a gallon of fresh gas. It came with synthetic 2stroke oil, and says to use a synthetic 2stroke oil in it. I might end up taking it back and spend the bucks and get a 4stroke trimmer elsewhere.

Adjust the fuel mixture until you get crisp operation. Clockwise = lean, Counterclockwise = rich. Just go either way until you find the sweet spot. If it only has one needle/mix screw, you may have to compromise between zippy acceleration and top end power. If you get it running good at the high end, it'll bog when you mash it off idle. Vice Versa, if you get it to have good zip off idle, it'll be a little fat up top. But, if it has 2 mix screws, then one is for acceleration and one is for top end and you can really get it running sweet. Since you say it runs the best on 1/2 choke, it's lean. Turn the mixture screw countercclockwise a little at a time untill it runs good with the choke totally off.
cheers.gif
That is also why the idle is high. You'll probably have to turn the idle back up a bit once you richen things up.

[ April 16, 2005, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Drew99GT ]

my father bought a sears leaf blower/vacuum once that was like that.

Annoying, isnt it?

My usual method for the three weed trimmers that we have, as well as the outboard engines that I use occasionally is this:

Full choke, full throttle. Pull 1-3x. Then, throttle off, pull until it pops.

switch to 1/2 choke, pull until it starts. Allow to idle at this state, maybe load slightly. Switch to no choke as soon as steady operation is encountered.

wal-mart stuff generally sucks. Look at the echo brand home depot trimmers. Even the cheaper ryobi home depot trimmers. All are designed for 20% less starting effort or something like this.

JMH

You get what you pay for. Just about every Weed Eater product I purchased had problems with the starter rope not recoiling properly, and some were harder to start then others. I started using Fuel Power, about 1/3 once per gallon in my power equipment gas, last fall and again yesterday. Could not believe how fast things started. I also have noticed some of the newer equipment I purchased seems to be set very lean, and have found running the choke halfway closed when it is a little cold out helpful. When the temperature gets warmer, I am able to open the choke fully.

The newer "environmentally friendly" 2-cycles tend to be hard to start and run until they warm up. Find an older, used commercial unit, like Shindaiwa or RedMax. They start right up, and run fine.

quote:

Originally posted by 416Rigby:
The newer "environmentally friendly" 2-cycles tend to be hard to start and run until they warm up. Find an older, used commercial unit, like Shindaiwa or RedMax. They start right up, and run fine.

**** EPA!

the best weed trimmer we've ever had was a ryan brand (a subsidiary of the outboard marine company). Still runs though the recall spring is near gone.

JMH

Weedeater is definately a brand I avoid. I bought a cheap Homelite last year and it works well. The other posters are right about the new 2 strokes being cold blooded. I run mine for a minute or so at half choke and it runs fine.

You pay for waht you get....Buy a PRO QUALITY Stihl, Husky, Echo, Redmax, Marayuma, Kawasaki or Shindaiwa and be done with it. With a little care any of these bvrands will last a howmowner a lifetime.

I let the trimmer run for a good 10 minutes after reading your replies. It still runs bad. It is carb certified even though I live in OH. The only adjustment on it is the idle. Im taking it back first thing sunday, and going to lowes to buy a troy-bilt, four stroke, straight shaft weed trimmer for $195.00.

[QUOTEand going to lowes to buy a troy-bilt, four stroke, straight shaft weed trimmer for $195.00.
] [/QUOTE]
Your going from POS to POS. No equipment worthwhile can be purchased from Lowes or HD. Your getting junk regardless of brand name...

] [/QUOTE]Your going from POS to POS. No equipment worthwhile can be purchased from Lowes or HD. Your getting junk regardless of brand name... [/qb][/QUOTE]

any other words of prejudice? HD and Lowe's sell many of the same brands and exact same models that the pro shops sell. Usually at much the same price however; the "discounts" really don't kick in unless you are getting the lower end units.

I trim around 300 rose pots and a lot of yard and went through a couple of cheap weed-wackers. I finally bough an Echo and it was worth every penny. It starts in one or two pulls. I use a synthetic 2-cycle racing oil and it just keeps running. Just be sure to change the air and fuel filters often, and the spark plug once in a while, too. Spend the money and buy a good one, there is a difference.

Hmmmm, I've had 2 Weedeater and Homelite brand trimmers (both pieces of **** by anyone's standards) and they didn't run worth a crap out of the box(partly because of the high altitude in my area). After just getting the mixture good, they both start on the second pull and run like raped apes!
dunno.gif
That just BS that the one you got doesn't even have a mixture screw. What, now the lawn equipment makers are makin it so you have to go in for service like the car makers?
pat.gif

quote:

any other words of prejudice? HD and Lowe's sell many of the same brands and exact same models that the pro shops sell.

I agree. They do sell the same brands as full service dealers. The differance is HD or Lowes do not sell pro grade equipment. For instance Husky sells chainsaws through HD and Lowes. IN reality these saws are just rebadged, orange poulans that suck quality wise. Same thing with Echo, saws and trimmers sold at HD.
BTW just because a piece of equipment has a certain brand name on it doesnt means its a quality piece. Stihls cheaper trimmers are made by Ryan/ and ryobi and are not up to the same levels of performance as say a fs 80, or 110. Buyer beware..

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
Stihls cheaper trimmers are made by Ryan/ and ryobi and are not up to the same levels of performance as say a fs 80, or 110. Buyer beware..
So does ryan still exist??? Is ryobi somehow related to ryan? Is Ryan still owned by OMC?

That ryan trimmer we have is still the best one Ive ever used. light, powerful, runs forever, even good 'fuel economy'
shocked.gif

JMH

OMC doesnt exist any more. Ryan and ryobi are made buy the same company the ownership of of which I am not certain.

I got a Stihl FS 80 last year. It kicks butt. It started on the first pull after sitting all winter. I think it has a bit too much power for my needs, though. We have some cheap one. I didn't realize a smaller cc motor could have that much more power
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back