Is royal purple really best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no doubt, at least in my mind, that both Amsoil (even the XL line) and Redline are better than Royal Purple. Maybe I missed it, but what vehicle do you have? If you need something heavier duty than 5W-30, I'd look into a 5W-40 HDEO, like Shell Rotella Synthetic.

Wow. That’s wonderful and insightful. I have personally spoken to or emailed thousands of Royal Purple customers who use our oil in their street driven cars and race cars and believe it to be the best oil they have ever used.

This email thread is again going nowhere. The factory (read Nissan) says that you can use a 5W-30, a 10W-30, or a 10W-40 in the engine in your car. I have explained the pros and cons of each in great detail. If you would like to use Royal Purple, we would be very appreciative of you as a customer. If not, I wish you well. I will not continue to engage in an email thread about engine oil for your Maxima. We have covered street oils and race oils. You seem to want the best for your Maxima, but are not willing to pay for the best. Over the last 4 months, I have replied to you 27 times and you are not asking any new questions. We believe Royal Purple to be the best, but there are many very good oils available. Pick one and enjoy your car.

I was reading forum n is said do not used rp oil. Here a site n look at 2nd title n u will see rp oil in 3rd pargraha.

http://forums.maxima.org/fluids-lubrican...-viscosity.html

Originally Posted By: Rohan
Wow. That’s wonderful and insightful. I have personally spoken to or emailed thousands of Royal Purple customers who use our oil in their street driven cars and race cars and believe it to be the best oil they have ever used.

This email thread is again going nowhere. The factory (read Nissan) says that you can use a 5W-30, a 10W-30, or a 10W-40 in the engine in your car. I have explained the pros and cons of each in great detail. If you would like to use Royal Purple, we would be very appreciative of you as a customer. If not, I wish you well. I will not continue to engage in an email thread about engine oil for your Maxima. We have covered street oils and race oils. You seem to want the best for your Maxima, but are not willing to pay for the best. Over the last 4 months, I have replied to you 27 times and you are not asking any new questions. We believe Royal Purple to be the best, but there are many very good oils available. Pick one and enjoy your car.

I was reading forum n is said do not used rp oil. Here a site n look at 2nd title n u will see rp oil in 3rd pargraha.

http://forums.maxima.org/fluids-lubrican...-viscosity.html

Uh, hang on I'm confused.

Well, of COURSE royal purple believes THEMSELVES to be the best, that is how the world works. Everyone wants to think they are the best. However, while RP is not a BAD oil by any means , it is, I think, overpriced for what you get. If I was going to drop that much money on oil, it would be on Amsoil or Redline. And seriously, how many people know jack stuff about motor oil? Very few. I mean besides us BITOGers of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
What y'all think?

I think you should use the recommended spec oil of 5w-30 for your Maxima. but who am i?
I also think that you are over thinking this. You stated that this car is not even running and the engine has been sitting for 5 years, blah blah blah. You have far worse issues to deal with. Oil is only a minor cause and effect in your vehicle.
And the link that you posted on the engine control system is for what?

What oils besides RP and Amsoil are PAO`s (with no grp III)? As a PAO based oil,I find RP to be a pretty decent value (just shop around to find a good price). I`ve seen speed shops trying to sell VR1 dino for $7.99 a quart,when you can get it at Autozone,O`Reilly,ect for $3.99 a quart. You just have to be a smart and informed shopper.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
However, while RP is not a BAD oil by any means , it is, I think, overpriced for what you get. If I was going to drop that much money on oil, it would be on Amsoil or Redline.

That hits the nail right on the head. Each of those three oils has its own purpose at which it excels. For example, you can go to some pretty impressive extended OCIs with Amsoil. That goes a long way to justifying the cost.

RP is overpriced. The only reason I ever use it, and that's only occasionally, is the fact that I get it at dealer cost, which is around 40% off retail. That's a pile of money, even at dealer cost. I would not even entertain the thought of using it at retail prices.

For those who want to try it, do what others do here. Read some VOAs and UOAs and see what luck others have had. Or, simply try it. It's not going to blow an engine to smithereens over one OCI, nor will it bankrupt someone to try it once. If it fulfills the "happiness" requirement (i.e. perception of a quieter valvetrain, less oil consumption, pretty purple dye), then that's worth something, too.

It's not for everyone, and that rule applies to every oil, really. I have to be cautious about which grade I choose, but that, too, applies to every oil brand out there. For me, some are fine. I don't care about SM and I have a use for extra ZDDP. Synthetics give a lot of viscosity choice, too.

I've tried it in my Audi without complaint. My old Ford truck won't be seeing it for a lot of miles, if ever.

I mean some people say they not n they are over priced.

I mean do they peform better than PP,PU,MEP,Redline,Enos,n Amsoil oils?

I wanna best pEformance n best wear.

RP is over priced only if you pay too much for it. Not being funny. That applies to any product you want to buy. What I mean is the price varies wildly depending on where you buy it. $9 a qt like I have seen it at places like PepBoys is too high. I wouldn't pay $9 a qt for any oil( at this time anyway - who knows how high prices will go down the road - $9 may be a bargain 5 years from now? ). However, it can easily be found for less if you shop around.

I just picked up 7 qts of it for an OC next week and paid $6.25 p/qt. That is less p/qt( individual bottles - not 5qt bulk jugs )than M1, PP, etc...even at Wal-Mart. I have 3 local sources for RP here and the most expensive has it for $7.20 p/qt( price just went up )which IMO for a top of the line boutique oil is not outrageous. Currently AAP has a promo going where you get 5 qts of RP and a K&N fiilter for just $39.95. Most K&N filters run $10-$12 so figure 5 qts of RP for $28.95( split the difference and call the filter $11 )and it is just $5.79 p/qt. As said, shop around and you can get RP for the same or slightly more than the name brand oils( M1, PP, VVL, QS, etc... ).

Is RP better than the other oils you listed? All depends on the application really. There is no "best" oil out there. There are general guidelines for overall quality and in that regard RP is one of the top 3-4 available. It should be a good choice for your application but running a UOA would tell you more. Redline is another very good option with a proven history of doing well in small high RPM engines.

One note - take a lot of the negative comments in this thread, and on the site in general, about RP with a grain of salt. Many of the posters who continually bash it have never even used it. They talk out of a body opening located somewhere other than their face when they talk about RP. I have run RP products since approx 1990 and have ahd nothing but the best results with it.

RP is a true Grp IV PAO based synthetic and their regular street oils all carrying some form of API license( SL or SM ).

Originally Posted By: dgee
5W-30 didn't do too great in the Camry.
car fely really rough after only 2k miles.

That was soemthing totally unrelated to the oil used as most everyone told you in your thread about it.

There is no doubt, at least in my mind, that both Amsoil (even the XL line) and Redline are better than Royal Purple. Maybe I missed it, but what vehicle do you have? If you need something heavier duty than 5W-30, I'd look into a 5W-40 HDEO, like Shell Rotella Synthetic.

Why are Amsoil and Redline better without a doubt? RP is Group IV and V with whatever specialized additives they have.

Is there something in the specs, in various VOAs, UOAs, or from tear-downs that points to an inferior oil?

Has anyone seen bad results from any name-brand synthetic oil used in the correct application and interval?

I'm sure Royal Purple is a fine oil. But for what their asking, there's better choices. I also would use AMSOIL before I went to RP...

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: BobFout
RP is Group IV and V...

...and Group I.

Additive carrier?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Rohan said:
One note - take a lot of the negative comments in this thread, and on the site in general, about RP with a grain of salt. Many of the posters who continually bash it have never even used it. They talk out of a body opening located somewhere other than their face when they talk about RP. I have run RP products since approx 1990 and have ahd nothing but the best results with it.

WELL SAID!!!
thumbsup2.gif

I have never understood the intense hatred of RP, that typically comes from those who have never even used it!
33.gif

RP = The most UNDER-rated oil around, IMHO.

Well if you really want the best buy Schaeffer's T-9000 synthetic 5w40 oil
Which IMO is a great oil and hard to beat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
NHHEMI said:
I have never understood the intense hatred of RP, that typically comes from those who have never even used it!
33.gif

Come over to Miata.net, the general consensus there is that if it isn't Mobil 1 or German Castrol it's [censored].
33.gif

I've never seen any bad effects first hand from using Royal Purple in any vehicle.
The spec sheet shows it's a pretty robust oil, and it's made right down the road from where I live.

Seems like the majority of hatred towards that oil or any other boutique oil on this and other forums, is based on the marketing material from those companies making certain horsepower and protection claims (yet ironically, Mobil 1's marketing flies under the radar.)

(I don't know why it says above that I am responding to NHHEMI. I just was making a general reply to the original question)

If RP is the best oil, most engines will not notice a difference. You can get good Synthetic oil for about $1.00 a quart if you wait for the rebates. I can almost guarantee you (99%) that if you had 2 identical cars, always filled one with RP and the other with whatever synthetic oil was on sale or had a rebate, and changed the oil at the vehicles recommenced interval, both cars (engines) would last the same amount of time (internally/oil related).

Last edited:
Some of these blanket statements...

Earlier in the thread, the guy about the Amsoil XL. I would not say Amsoil XL is better than Royal Purple XPR. XPR is an amazingly awesome oil! I like the XPR 10w40 b/c it has alcohol/methanol/nitrous in mind. I would run it if I could get it as cheap as the Redline 10w40 I'm currently running. I have no doubt it's a Grp V oil mostly.

Maybe you just meant the SAE stuff I don't know. Also, not even all RP's oil's are equal. I'd say their 0w40 SAE is definitely awesome (I understand it has a lot of PAO, Grp IV) but their 5w30 is pretty meh. The XPR 5w30 is good but the XPR 10w40 is f'n top notch. If I was given a blank check for free oil from someone else's checking account, for any oil in the world for my car, it would be Royal Purple XPR 10w40 hands down. I'd buy cases of it to last my lifetime. haha.

But I can't justify the cost with my own money. So I cheap out and catch internet sales. Got an awesome deal on my current Redline!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back