Is royal purple really best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Wouldn't the "best oil" publish standard specs like HT/HS, pass the same current industry specifications of the American Petroleum Institute as $2 dino oil, and not make ridiculous claims of horsepower gains?

I think RP is fine, but I won't buy it anymore for that very reason.
There is nothing but hype and no good information anymore on their website and that annoys me.
They've even pulled their somewhat useful PDS page recently and want you to call them.
Well, I called them last year and they told me they had 1100ppm zinc. But I can't seem to find any UOAs or VOAs (including mine from last month) that can find anything more than API SM levels of zinc/phosphorous.
They have lost my trust.
For Higher end oils, Amsoil or Redline for me. (and yeah they all have some hype, but at least I can get some info)

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What oils besides RP and Amsoil are PAO`s (with no grp III)? As a PAO based oil,I find RP to be a pretty decent value (just shop around to find a good price). I`ve seen speed shops trying to sell VR1 dino for $7.99 a quart,when you can get it at Autozone,O`Reilly,ect for $3.99 a quart. You just have to be a smart and informed shopper.

I prefer a PAO and use RP and Amsoil.

Is it even fair to say oils have a PAO "base?" Most seem to just contain some

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Rohan
My manual called for 5w30,10w30,n 10w40.

So will I be okay 10w40 all year?

I was thinking my next oil change will be 5w30 XPR oil will is hurt the engine by changing 40 weight to 30 weight?

Is 5w30 XPR better than redline n Amsoil? I know Amsoil don't make racing oil but redline do but is not good for street driven.

DUDE!
33.gif

You need to pick an oil and weight and just get on with it. You are making this WAY more complicated for yourself than it needs to be. 1st off you were asking about the regular SAE RP 10W-40 and most everyone, including RP Tech support, has said it is fine. Now you are on to the XPR 5W-30( you do know that stuff is like $15+ a qt right? )??? Just pick one. RP, Redline, or Amsoil, in a 30 or 40 weight, will do the job for your needs.

No offense meant at all by any of this. Just stop over thinking this. Pick soemthing and move on.

I know they are $16 a quarts but rp tech tld me I can used them. But the only thing I'm worry about is wear on the engine which I don't want to have bec I heard rp oil show high wear than any other oils!

So I was thinking next oil either rp xpr 5w30,redline 10w40,or amsoil oil 10w40.

Originally Posted By: OilBlazer93
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Amsoil does have the 10w-40 perfected.

Which Amsoil Product is this?

Im a big fan of In-Store Items. I can get Royal Purple and Kendall from AutoZone.. but i vote "Valvoline MaxLife" as "Above Average at Everything."

I switched from Castrol -Anything- a long time ago.. though i ran Mobil 1 15W-50 until High Mileage Oil came out.

Please let me know of which AMSOIL you speak.

I never trusted them, because of their Marketing.. seemed a Fabricated Fallacy, so i was always like "Amsoil? Oh. Them."

"Better Than Synthetic," They say... When Synthetic isnt even -really- needed. Most of the time...

It's just me, but my cavalier really didn't like the maxlife. Too thick. Sluggish, valvetrain ticking.... Was enough for me to dump it at 1100 miles and put in Edge 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: SERonBLAST
Hey Rohan, I am just curious to what condition your tires and brakes are? You are so concerned about your oil and what magnificent changes it will do to car that i am guessing you probably have upgraded to Brembos and have serious rubber on the Maxima. No use having a car that is fast when you cant stop!

umm no I don't have aftermarket brake caplier but I do have coilover on 20" rim.
My next tire will be yoshamna advane I can't think top of my mind about the tire model.

Originally Posted By: odie
could R.P. help you find the source of a possible oil leak due to its color ?

The color goes away quickly once in service.

Originally Posted By: odie
bummer .
frown.gif

There are things you can add to oil to make it stand out in UV light though.

NHHEMI: where do u buy royal purple oil from? Can u give me where u buy it from so I can order with them to.

[/quote] I know they are $16 a quarts but rp tech tld me I can used them. But the only thing I'm worry about is wear on the engine which I don't want to have bec I heard rp oil show high wear than any other oils!

So I was thinking next oil either rp xpr 5w30,redline 10w40,or amsoil oil 10w40. [/quote]

It doesnt sound like you are hearing anything we are telling you!

Last edited:
NHHEMI: where do u buy royal purple oil from? Can u give me where u buy it from so I can order with them to.

Don't your auto parts stores carry it? I can't not find it on a shelf where I live.

I've bought it from longrider dot com, which is like a direct sales arm of RP, but I've only bought 15W40 and gear oil from them in 5 gallon jugs, it'd probably cheaper from somewhere on sale. If I was running a 4 or 6 cylinder gas (turbocharged?) engine, in excess of 7000 RPM, with nitrous & other big $$$ internal improvements, I sure would run a quality synthetic oil in it! Save the el cheapo dino engine oil for the beater & the drive to work car!

The neighbor next door to my Dad had his soon go to a mechanic trade school. Big money, expensive. ( after some time of not finding real work, he has been a Jag mechanic for the last six years )

At the time, a big sponsor of the school was RP until the school severed the relationship due to completely false advertisement practices and an inferior product.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
The color goes away quickly once in service.

No, don't spoil the illusion.

Next you'll be saying there is no Santa Claus.

All local sources.

Go to the company web site and use the dealer locator for your state and then call around and price shop.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
The neighbor next door to my Dad had his soon go to a mechanic trade school. Big money, expensive. ( after some time of not finding real work, he has been a Jag mechanic for the last six years )

At the time, a big sponsor of the school was RP until the school severed the relationship due to completely false advertisement practices and an inferior product.

I find this questionable. What school was this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back