Noisy PCV valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is 2oo3 Oldsmobile Alero with 3.4L engine. Engine runs perfectly fine, but seems PCV valve is fairly noisy. Is it supposed to? Is there a way to make it quiter without replacing it? Sorry about my ignorance.

what's the mileage on that vehicle? Has the PCV valve ever been replaced?

Never heard of a noisy PCV valve, but yea, something makes me think you have a leak of some sort, resulting in the noise...?

Any decrease in MPG? Or any CEL? If it's serious enough, I'd think it would throw a code....

But yea, if the PCV valve hasn't been changed, they are cheap, and easy enough to replace.

FRAM Part # FV299 is $1.68 at rockauto.com - for example :) With the "priciest" PCV valve being an ACDELCO Part # CV892C {#25043843} for $5.31 :)

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1410905&parttype=5052

Could it be the grommet perhaps, that's causing the noise? If it's a possibility, they sell those too, DORMAN Part # 42313 {Carded; Dimensions: .719" x 1.219" (ID x OD), OD groove: 1.000". #14001875} at $2.14 :)

I've seen the PCV and breather hose collapse and make a loud noise like a horn when the engine was running.

If the PCV valve is aftermarket and not from the dealer, it could be loose in the socket. Happened to me with the Buick. When I bought the GM part and put it in, the sound vanished.

This happens sometimes.
Rattles or whistling.
I prefer the factory PCV valves, or the most expensive auto parts store version.

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. The noise is more of a whistle. And yes, it is a little loose in the socket. Next time I need to order any parts I will get a new good quality PCV valve also and change it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back