New PCV valve in the Durango 3.6L

My Mazda 3 has a straight dipstick right thru the valve cover, head and block. I can pull it after sitting overnight and peek at the oil level without even fully removing it from the hole. Always FULL as it has been for the 10 years I’ve owned this thing.
You can't do that on my Durango or Charger, both equipped with the Pentastar. Oil will climb the dipstick overnight about 2", so it looks like the engine is way overfilled. You have to pull the dipstick, clean it, then take a measurement. If you quickly pull the dipstick immediately after it seats or seat it and wait 10 seconds, you'll get a different reading every time.

No way. I think some of us on here are starting to lose it. 🤭😆 Waaaaay too much time on the oil forum. (My wife always makes fun of me “you reading about oil again?!?!”)

Although I’m always servicing HOT engines at the shop, I do occasionally pull in something that was dropped off the night before and is COLD. I’ve never reinserted a dipstick and purposely waited for some magic to happen for any longer than half a second before YANKING it outta there to read it.

On a hot engine with oil still draining down, some dipsticks are made so idiotic that if you want even a few seconds, it will be completely covered with draining oil and you won’t be able to read the level and have to re-wipe and do a super quick “in & out” to get a reading. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Waiting even 5 seconds on a completely cold engine with all the oil drained into the pan is CRAZY to me. 😳😲🫣
I put my money were my mouth is and did a test.

This picture shows the level on the dip stick with zero time between the insertion to seat and pull.
IMG_3624.JPG

This picture shows the level on the dip stick with 10 seconds between the insertion to seat and pull.
IMG_3626.JPG

My whole point with waiting a set amount of time to pull the dipstick is consistency. I noticed there is a difference in level on the dipstick many years ago, so I always wait the same amount of time before pulling.

Wilson, a dipstick is not the most accurate device on the vehicle.
if it is between Add and Full is all I ever looked for.
if you dont park the vehicle in exactly the same spot you can get some inconsistency, just because floors or the ground are very rarely perfectly level.

Wilson, a dipstick is not the most accurate device on the vehicle.
if it is between Add and Full is all I ever looked for.
if you dont park the vehicle in exactly the same spot you can get some inconsistency, just because floors or the ground are very rarely perfectly level.
I agree, I'm just trying to be a consistent as possible.

I agree, I'm just trying to be a consistent as possible.
I have a set process to check the oil in my 2012 Ford Transit Connect. No matter how long or where it sets for some reason the dipstick when first pulled will have very little oil on it. It’s like a vacuum has pulled the oil out of the dipstick tube. Once pulled I reinsert it and wait a few seconds and then it will show the proper oil level. It’s done this since day one and the first time I checked the oil it freaked me out. Now it’s got over 210k miles on it. Still doesn’t use any oil.
Now my 2023 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 shows much the same level anytime I check it. The first pull is just a fraction lower than the second time after I wipe it clean and recheck it.

The bulkhead at the back of the engine compartment that separates the cowl area from the intake manifold comes out and makes doing anything on the rear of the engine on a Durango or Grand Cherokee of this vintage easier.

The bulkhead at the back of the engine compartment that separates the cowl area from the intake manifold comes out and makes doing anything on the rear of the engine on a Durango or Grand Cherokee of this vintage easier.
How difficult is it to take out? If it doesn't take more than 30 minutes, then it would be worth the time and aggravation.

Interesting write up and I was unaware of the 90k PCV service interval on the 3.6L. The wife's 2014 JGC has 165k trouble free miles and does not use oil between changes but now I think I will put that PCV on my to do list.

There's TSBs on revised oil level and best procedure for checking oil on a Pentastar
1000008899.jpg

I can't find it, but there was a TSB for Pentastar that recommended oil level checks be done on a hot engine that's rested for 15 minutes vs a stone cold engine
Level ground of course

Back