Where can you race your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every so often I read a UOA with "track time". So where are these tracks? Are there any near NYC or Long Island? Can anyone drive their car at one of these racetracks? What is the typical cost? I would love to drive my GTI full throttle.
19.gif

Last edited:
Many clubs have track day events and depending on the track cost form $100 to $350 for multi day events. Hook up with some VW clubs and see if any do regular events. I Participated in Audi Club driver safety seminars and have driven Brainerd Intl. Raceway, Road America, Topeka KS, Blackhawk Farms Ill., Minn. ST Hwy Patrol training track in St.Cloud, These events go on all over the country by many clubs & organizations. You want to find a group that accommodate those with little or no track experience. It is addictive. http://www.audiclubna.org/

Last edited:
Well I think you may mean "where can I do a track day/drivers education event"...You really cannot just enter a race with your car unless it is fully prepped and you have a license with the sanctioning organization...You can however do a DE or track day with many groups such as Porsche Club, Audi Cleb, BMW Club, etc...check the website for the tracks closest to you and see who is on the schedule.

Believe this, if you haven't been out on a track with other cars you will find that this is very hard work doing a half dozen laps on a road course. I you have no instruction you will be in the way. You are allowed to drive as fast as your car will go. You will find a the car thats just a tick quicker than you and one just a tick slower than you and settle between those cars. Otherwise you holding up quicker cars. We were all born race car drivers the unfortunate truth is none of us really know how to drive without instruction.

Last edited:
One of the BEST road courses in the whole country was out in Bridgehampton. Great circuit with; phenomenal scenery, nice sweepers, some long straights, and even elevation changes!

But, like soooo many tracks (of ALL kinds) these days it fell victim to noise regulations by those who chose to encroach on the track and decide to live close by (also inspired by and egged on by VERY greedy land developers/contractors).

Now, yes, the closest to you would be either Lime Rock Park in northwest Connecticut, Pocono International in central Poconos, or the afforementioned N.J. Motorsports Park in SOUTH Jersey.

There is a private, 'motorsports-country club' type facility in Monticello (Monticello Motor Club), but I am not sure if you must be an uppity, high zoot, (and obviously VERY wealthy/monied) member in order to use the circuit, or if it is available to clubs/orgs to hold HPDEs/open tracking/lapping days, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back