2022 Mazda Miata Club RF Recaro

My son got a full ride scholarship to go to college, and we promised him if that happened, we'd buy him a very nice car.

He's a currently a Freshman. He's in a dual degree program with Butler and Purdue Universities where he'll graduate with a degree in Motorsports Engineering (Mechanical Engineering applied to Racing and High-Performance) AND a degree in Music Performance (Trumpet). Sorry, I felt justified filling in the story in hopes that people here might see he has earned this car already.

My Question: What oil and filter do you recommend? How often do should he drain and fill the manual transmission and is there a favorite here for these Miata's?

I know there are a lot of Miata fans here, so any other additional information would be gratefully appreciated.

He's wanted to maintain this car to the highest standard, since it's only got 5,300 miles on it. He's already got it scheduled to get 3M film installed after any chips are fixed. So please, recommend any and all. products and services regardless of cost.

IMG_20240302_175118.jpg

Massively jealous!

I'm running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 in my CX-5. I run Mazda filters. Change every 3,000 miles (I do all short trips).

Check out the Mazda forum at Mazdas247.com.

I had a 2019 MX-5 Club Recaro/BBS in that red; traded it for a 2023 GT in White. (both convertibles)

My recommendations in no particular order:
- any decent syn oil changed with a good quality filter at 10k miles is fine; the engine is not picky (I have some UOAs for this application; brands don't matter)
- do the trans and diff fluids around 10k miles initially, then you can go every 30k after that
- the sooner you get PPF the better; my 2019 had 35k miles on it when I traded it in and it looked terrible on the front end from all the little rock chips and bug spatters. The paint on those cars is THIN; often complained about by many owners
- I added a "catch-can" to my 2023. Honestly I think it's a waste of money for this application; it hasn't accumulated much of anything in 6k miles. Apparently the block-mounted PCV system works well enough that not a lot of solids go up with vapor up to the intake

Last edited:
We can only hope that having a car in first year won't get in the way of him bucking down to his studies. Engineering is a tough course for anyone, no matter how gifted.

When I started engineering our group was told by the dean of engineering that "only half of you will ever get a degree in engineering", and "one in four will get that degree in four years".

I worked really hard and got my degree in four years. A lot of really smart people flunked out, many of them in first year.

I changed the manual trans. fluid at 15k with Redline MT-90. Seemed to shift a little better when cold after the change.
Changed the differential fluid at 15k as well with Mazda recommended Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1.

All of my other cars I change the oil between 7k and 10k, but, the Miata oil really smells of gasoline when I change it. And yes, I get the car well warmed up before I change the oil, usually after a long drive. Consequently, I believe fuel dilution is a small issue with these DI engines so I change at 5k or less.

Agree 100% on the PPF. The paint does seem thin and chips very easily on the hood and front bumper cover.

Congrats to your son on his scholarship and his awesome car choice! Love the Soul Red color!

why not go the Amsoil route use the specified weight in owners manual 0w-30 SS ?? for the warranty , and use Amsoil filter, and their MTL trans. oil,,Amsoil has a good warranty on their products also. really nice car by the way!!

Beautiful car.

Yes, Mazda soul red paint chips very easily. Absolutely awesome color on a sunny day.

Any brand synthetic oil will be just fine. I would definitely drain and refill transmission / differential fluid at 30K miles.

We can only hope that having a car in first year won't get in the way of him bucking down to his studies. Engineering is a tough course for anyone, no matter how gifted.

When I started engineering our group was told by the dean of engineering that "only half of you will ever get a degree in engineering", and "one in four will get that degree in four years".

I worked really hard and got my degree in four years. A lot of really smart people flunked out, many of them in first year.
I understand your concern. Especially when you consider that he'll graduate with 2 degrees from 2 different Universities, he's signed up for a big commitment. His course load is HEAVY and time management is critical for him to be successful.

Beautiful car.

Yes, Mazda soul red paint chips very easily. Absolutely awesome color on a sunny day.

Any brand synthetic oil will be just fine. I would definitely drain and refill transmission / differential fluid at 30K miles.

I was going to ask if Mazda got their red paint straightened out yet.

I should have also mentioned that I have the "Expel" brand of PPF.

If you are interested, PM me and I'll give you a recommendation for the guy who did the job on mine; he's on the north side of Indy.

100% what dnewton said. I’ve had similar results with my catch can. Was worried when I installed it about how small it is and how it would fill up too fast. I get maybe a few drops out of it per OCI.
Using 0W-30 M1 ESP in my ‘21 Club. Likely overkill as the engine doesn’t seem to care about the brand or grade used.

Following dnewton3's recommendations, my son just had his car wrapped by a small home shop on the north side of Indianapolis. Before the car was wrapped (every surface with forward facing exposure has been covered), all chips were professionally corrected. We are very happy with the results

IMG_20240327_083104.jpg

IMG_20240327_083110.jpg

Looks like my 2019 Miata. The Skyactiv is kinda picky on the oil filter due to the dual PSI oil pump. Mazda OEM oil filter recommended, but one aftermarket filter is made to cater to the Skyactiv engine. I started with a high moly oil but setteled with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Personally go with recommended 0w20. If you look all around the world for recommended viscosity the highest viscosity seen is 10w50 and our neighbor Mexico has SM rated 10w30. Zero oil loss for me and this is my second Miata, which I gave to my neighbor. (2008 ver.)

My choices would be a 0w-20 or 5w-30 with a Mazda filter every 5000 miles. Depending on how hard it is driven. For the manual transmission, I would use a GL-4. Motorcraft XT-M5-QS. 10k then every 30k. Check out Walter Motorsports to see what they have to say about Miata manual transmissions. Also Miata.net.

My son got a full ride scholarship to go to college, and we promised him if that happened, we'd buy him a very nice car.

He's a currently a Freshman. He's in a dual degree program with Butler and Purdue Universities where he'll graduate with a degree in Motorsports Engineering (Mechanical Engineering applied to Racing and High-Performance) AND a degree in Music Performance (Trumpet). Sorry, I felt justified filling in the story in hopes that people here might see he has earned this car already.

My Question: What oil and filter do you recommend? How often do should he drain and fill the manual transmission and is there a favorite here for these Miata's?

I know there are a lot of Miata fans here, so any other additional information would be gratefully appreciated.

He's wanted to maintain this car to the highest standard, since it's only got 5,300 miles on it. He's already got it scheduled to get 3M film installed after any chips are fixed. So please, recommend any and all. products and services regardless of cost.

View attachment 206843
Sold my 2019 in 2021, a sad day indeed. Was the same color with club in soft top. I tried 5w30 euro and 0w20 mobile 1 ep. Car revved better on 0w20. I'd stick to the highest quality 0w20 you can buy.

Back