Domestic Check engine light

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 11 years I've owned the Malibu, I've had the CEL come on twice. Once was for a bad valve or solenoid on the emissions system, the part that deals with the charcoal cannister (in fact, I think I even asked a question about that on this board) and once due to a vacuum hose that came loose.

I got a "check fuel cap" light, but no CEL. It threw a code for an evap leak. It turns out a vacuum line for the charcoal canister had been knocked loose...plugged it back up and it was fine.

Never got a CEL in my 2001 Ranger in 93K miles.

My Explorer had a CEL on for the DPFE sensor when I got it at 148K miles. I put a new DPFE sensor on and the CEL went away.

has it really come down to this? Who gives a....

35.gif

oh, it's a free country. drive what you like. If the big 3 fail because folks don't buy their vehicles, so be it.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
The reason I care is that electronic parts are expensive,and barely have a warranty.
I got tired of replacing multiple sensors every 2 years at e check time.
I don't mind spending money on components that require some work at manufacturing,but spending $70 a pop,for some wire,solder and a resistor,make me angry.

Only have a few cels while repairing a few parts on my old Cav wagon.

Otherwise, NEVER!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
The reason I care is that electronic parts are expensive,and barely have a warranty.
I got tired of replacing multiple sensors every 2 years at e check time.
I don't mind spending money on components that require some work at manufacturing,but spending $70 a pop,for some wire,solder and a resistor,make me angry.

If you think that's bad, I think you'll enjoy future gas prices then.....

Heh, I wondered if you would do tihs. I have never said that Domestic cars never get CELs, but you said that "imports" never do. I'm sure you've seen enough evidence to the contrary. Anyway.

98 Ford Windstars (No longer own, traded for 03 expy) CEL at 75,000 because of bad vacuum hose. Again at 93,000 miles for Bad upstream O2 sensor.

2003 Ford Expedition: 3 CEL over a couple months (At about ~52,000 miles). Each time was because one of the 8 Coil over plug coils stopped working right so it was misfiring. $100 each. Got a CEL for TPS because we forgot to plug it back in after working on the truck. Other than that, nothing.

1997 Chevy Cavalier: Upstream O2 sensor @ 96,000 miles. Came on again at about 125,000 because I'd replaced the air intake hose (that the dealer had destroyed) and forgot to plug the Air temp sensor back in. And it wasn't CEL but the Charging System light came on at 129,000 because the original alternator finally kicked the bucket. Since then, nothing.

99 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L: Never for anythign except misfiring because while offroading water and mud managed to find itsway into the distributor.

2007 Ford Mustang V6 (30,000 miles) Never

Grandmothers 07 Edge (42,000 miles) Never.

Grandfathers 1999 Silverado 5.3L: (38,000 miles): Never.

Grandmothers 2003 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec (104,000 miles): 50,000 miles (DIRTY (not bad) MAF sensor)

Last edited by a moderator:
I drive nothing but American, mostly GM with some old Chrysler mixed in. The only time I had a CEL come on was in my old 95 Neon (around 1999-2000ish), had about 120k on it and the upstream o2 sensor went out.

My 1997 Crown Vic with 262,700 miles is giving P0420 and P0430 codes. I've decided to try replacing the upstream o2 sensors ($70 for 2 from RockAuto, shipped) to see if that fixes the problem. Someone else had reported that they have fixed P0420 and P0430 codes in Ford vehicles on a number of occasions by replacing the upstream sensors. The sensors in the Crown Vic look old and are Ford OE sensors. They may well be the originals.

If that does not fix the problem, two replacement, direct-fit catalytic converters will run about $300. The old cats have some scrap value, perhaps $100.

Otherwise, I have only had codes for oxygen sensors, although a piece of PCV hose in my old car came close to causing a CEL..it was deteriorated very badly, causing a vacuum leak.

By the way, Ford uses NTK sensors in the Crown Vic, and in the other Fords I've had where they failed over time.

I ordered two Denso sensors for the Crown Vic because they are the cheapest ones that Rockauto sells. $32 for a Denso 4-wire sensor, when Bosch will run about $55. Go figure that one out.

As far as getting an "incorrect code", sometimes you have to do a bit of diagnosis. The computer cannot do it all.

A few years ago my 1988 Mustang GT (which does not have a check engine light) was giving a lean code on both banks. A lean code can sometimes be caused by an oxygen sensor, but I had my doubts because it was both banks. Some reading and some troubleshooting lead me to the thermactor air solenoids. A little testing revealed that one of them was stuck, dumping the airpump upstream and causing a false lean reading on the oxygen sensors.

Replacing the solenoids fixed the problem.

If your driving an American car,and have had your cel light come on,please post here.
Also add any times you got an incorrect code or had to replace multiple sensors.
Thanks.

You must really hate General Motors,Ford and Chrysler to make such a post.

I don't own a domestic car, but when I did, the CEL came on shortly before I sold it. It was a '96 Cavalier LS. Something about the EGR Valve or O2 sensor. I don't know the actual code since I wasn't the one that ended up taking it to the shop to have them pull the code. I never fixed it, but it was the final straw to sell the lemon before it had 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
If your driving an American car,and have had your cel light come on,please post here.
Also add any times you got an incorrect code or had to replace multiple sensors.
Thanks.

You must really hate General Motors,Ford and Chrysler to make such a post.

I've loved Gm most of my life.
Enjoyed my 68 Chevelle,70 Bonneville,71,72 Monte Carlo,72,76 Cutlass,75 Eldorado convertible,87 Iroc camaro,73 centurion,and 76 Trans Am.
I still own the Centurion and Trans Am.

What I do hate is lawyers(Ralph Nadar),the EPA,Insurance companies,and every Automotive executive and designer since 1980.

I've been working on cars with my dad since I was 12 years old,I remember how every car was distinctive.
I remember opening the hood and seeing an engine.
I remember the sound the hood and doors made when you closed them.
I remember coming out of a corner and stomping the gas and hearing the engine and carb sing,as the horsepower pushed you back into your seat.
I remember the room and plush ride of a real car.

The cars I hated include 85 cutlass,87 Monte Carlo SS,94 Regal,and an 04 Alero.
I got tired of spending money repairing these ugly,plastic,low quality vehicles.
The cars today are all the same bland shape,same bland performance,with an outrageous sticker price.

I wish you guys could just have a civil discussion without all the name calling.
I'm entitled to my opinion.

The cars I hated include 85 cutlass,87 Monte Carlo SS,94 Regal,and an 04 Alero.
I got tired of spending money repairing these ugly,plastic,low quality vehicles.
The cars today are all the same bland shape,same bland performance,with an outrageous sticker price.

I wish you guys could just have a civil discussion without all the name calling.
I'm entitled to my opinion.

So you tell me what the Import guys turning out in 85 and 87? Not anything much better sorry to say.
You take a 94 Regal, yep it had problems and the bottom of GMs line up the Aveo and then ask for a civil discussion?

Have you looked at anything they make now like The CTS, Malibu, Equinox?
Have you looked at anything Ford makes?

people get into a rut, or put themselves in a rut, and then make sweeping generalizations to justify their stand.
oh well.
on topic before the lock:
the saturn S series had all the sensors of any modern car; ECTS, TPS, CPS, knock sensor, O2 sensor, etc.
the ONLY one that was ever known to be bad on a regular basis was the ECTS. the originals were plastic and would crack. a replacement brass one from the DEALER was $9.
all other saturn sensors AND the ECU never go bad.
but the cars were plastic, and domestic made after 1980, so I guess XCEL doesn't like them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back