$300 reasonable for corolla bumper, fender paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got all my parts and I have no idea about auto paint. Is $300 reasonable to have a 2002 corolla bumper cover and front fender matched and painted? This is from a local mom and pop collision shop not maaco or anything.

If they do a good job yes that's a decent price. They have to put an additive in the bumper paint for flexibility. For a job that looks good in the day light I would have no problem with $300.

If that includes the materials its a great price.My car would already be in their shop.Figuring my labor times and material cost i couldn't do it myself cheaper.

PS Flex additive is no longer need with the new base/clear coat paints.When i asked for some last year the paint guy laughed and asked how many years has it been since i painted a bumper cover.An email to dupont confirmed.

Last edited:
That includes everything and the guy mixes his own paint to match the slightly faded factory color and I assume he knows to add plasticizer to the bumper. Thanks I thought it sounded good.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Most places want 300 bucks to turn a screw, I think that's a good price.

John

This would be funny if it wasn't true
33.gif

That price and higher is what is being charged nowadays.
If we are realistic about present conditions, it is fair.
But ask about what product is used - what primer and additives.
Make them think you have some idea about the special needs of flexible parts painting.
And don't be alarmed if it different lighting conditions, the paint won't match the rest of the car. Close or very close is all we can ask for.

My father is the superintendent of schools in our town and knows everybody so this guy knows that if he does a bad job everyone will hear about it. I'm not a perfectionist and I have reasonable expectations.

I've painted cars in the past, including flexible bumpers. I'm getting ready to do the bumper on my mother's car. Just the color coat now costs $70 per pint!! (I have all the other materials). I'm used to paying $15 a quart 15 years ago... $50 a quart five years ago! You can thank the EPA. I think $300 at a shop is a bargain.

Just repainted my friend's rear fascia (bumper only NO metal) at a buddy of mine's shop. It did require some repairing gouges from where she hit a pole, however. He charged $250 - and that was a favor to me! So $300 is fair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Just repainted my friend's rear fascia (bumper only NO metal) at a buddy of mine's shop. It did require some repairing gouges from where she hit a pole, however. He charged $250 - and that was a favor to me! So $300 is fair.

I paid 275 bucks to have my Crown Vic done 4 years ago so that is very fair.

I had the rear bumper on our Lexus painted a year ago and it was $340 at the dealer. So for that much work $300 is a good price IMO.

If anything, I agree that it's a very low price. I painted a hood and radiator support for my daughter's Honda last winter, and even with my company's discount on paint, it was a little over $150 just for that. And these were pre-primed parts.

There's quite a bit of labor involved in properly prepping a bumper cover for painting. Below is copied text from a Toyota Service Bulletin about painting bumper covers. Sorry it's kind of jumbled, I copied it from a PDF file. But it gives you an idea of what's required to do this.

PA003-02
Title:
REFINISHING REPLACEMENT
BUMPER COVERS

Models:
All ’83 -- ’05 Models

Technical Service
BULLETIN
June 4, 2002
TSB REVISION NOTICE:
February 14, 2005: Applicable Vehicles now includes 2004 -- 2005 model years.
Previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.
In cases where a bumper cover is being replaced, a special preparation process is
necessary to assure the refinish is customer acceptable. This bulletin provides the
recommended refinishing procedure for new bumper covers.
All 1983 - 2005 model year Toyota vehicles.

TOOLS & MATERIALS RECOMMENDED PRODUCT QUANTITY
Mild Soap - Ph neutral(no wax type)
3Mt Car Shampoo (or equivalent)
As Needed
Sanding Pad 3Mt ScotchBrite (Gray) 37448
Sanding Paste
Wax, Grease, & Silicone Remover
See Paint Manufacturer’s Recommendations
Plastic Part Adhesion Promoter
Primer and Paint

NOTE:
Please visit www.3m.com/automotive to find the nearest store that sells 3M
automotive products.

Page 2 of 3
1. Mix a solution of mild soap (car wash soap with no wax additives) and clean water.
NOTE:
Carefully follow mixing instructions on the soap container. Too much soap or too
much water may cause surface contamination or rinsing difficulty.
2. Scrub the bumper covers with the soap and water solution, making sure all
difficult-to-reach areas are thoroughly cleaned.
3. Rinse the entire bumper cover with clean deionized water, making sure all
difficult-to-reach areas are thoroughly rinsed.
4. Dry the surface with a clean towel before water dries on the surface. Clean, dry
compressed air from an oil--less compressor may be substituted for drying with a
towel.
5. Degrease the surface with a wax, grease, and silicone remover.
NOTE:
Lacquer thinner or brake cleaner will NOT remove silicone. You MUST use a wax,
grease, and silicone remover. Carefully follow application instructions on the container
label. Fish eyes or other paint irregularities may result from not following instructions.
6. Apply a generous amount of sanding paste with a gray 3Mt ScotchBrite pad. Only a
gray pad should be used during the sanding process. Sand the entire bumper cover
surface. Be sure all difficult--to--reach areas are thoroughly sanded.
7. Clean the entire bumper cover with car wash soap and water. Be sure all
difficult--to--reach areas are thoroughly cleaned.
8. Rinse the entire bumper with clean deionized water. Be sure all difficult-to-reach
areas are thoroughly rinsed.
9. Degrease the surface with an anti-static plastic parts cleaner and a white body shop
towel or paper towel.
NOTE:
Never use a red shop towel to wipe the surface (contains silicone).
10. Assure the bumper is firmly held in place to a steady fixture.
11. Apply a plastic parts adhesion promoter to the surface, according to the
manufacturer’s recommendations.
12. Apply plastic parts primer to the surface, according to the paint manufacturer’s
recommendations.
13. Since bumpers are made of flexible plastic urethane material, use a two-part
urethane finish paint system with plasticizer (flex agent) for all bumper and cladding
repairs. Apply the appropriate top coat to the surface, according to the paint
manufacturer’s recommendations.
14. If heat is applied to cure the paint, assure the surface temperature does not exceed
80°C (176°F.)
For additional information concerning the refinish process for plastic bumpers/cladding,
please contact your respective refinish paint manufacturer’s local representative.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
There's even a shop on Linton Ave in Delray Beach, FL, that specializes in bumper replacement and painting.

And how many 82 year old women back into parking posts, trees, cars and other old people. no wonder they can make a business of it.

There's even a shop on Linton Ave in Delray Beach, FL, that specializes in bumper replacement and painting.

There are a lot of those places from Palm Beach to South Miami- Dade...I see rear end hits on a daily basis...One of the worst things you can do down here is make a right turn on red...The car behind you will most likely hit you as your waiting for the herd of traffic to clear as they are texting,talking or just not paying attention...Age does not matter...Its ages from 16-99.

This is so true. I had relatives in Delray Beach and West Palm Beach, and I used to always think that I should move down there and open up either a body shop that specialized in fender benders (and catered to senior citizens), or a funeral home. Either one would do very well IMHO.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

There are a lot of those places from Palm Beach to South Miami- Dade...I see rear end hits on a daily basis...One of the worst things you can do down here is make a right turn on red...The car behind you will most likely hit you as your waiting for the herd of traffic to clear as they are texting,talking or just not paying attention...Age does not matter...Its ages from 16-99.

I used to buy prepainted bumper off ebay and install it myself for only $200. If you have time you can search craigslist or ebay for used bumper in the same color.

It's done and it was a bumper and a fender they look great and the paint matches perfectly. Now I just need to figure out how to get all the trim off the old pieces onto the new ones and go buy all those stupid plastic clips that I broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back