VW 2.5L Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

yes

I've read a lot of the forums. Is the Mobil 1 synthetic euro formula my best bet for cost/performance? This is not a race car. My wife just putts around the local area. Sometimes it goes on a long trip. I also checked out the availability of the filter at walmart. I found they had a Fram filter. It says "Made in Germany" on the filter. I'm assuming this means it is not the typical Fram quality? Should I use that filter or should I seriously consider something else?

A fram made in Germany is likely a good bet. Fram isnt necessarily garbage across the board, and true issues with carboard endcap filters arent even necessarily horrible... Though on their standard filters I did notice startup noise on other applications.

Anyway, can't comment on frams on our 08 rabbit... but I can with oils. Ive run Amsoil 5w-40, factory fill, something else that escapes me at the moment, and now M1 euro.

My wife drives only city, and averages just over 26 MPG, logged each tank. Was thinking I may see a slight bump with the 5w-30 M1, but I have not.

Still, I think it is a good oil that meets the very latest spens and is easy to find at pep boys. id also run M1 0w-40 in there with confidence if looking to only shop at wal-mart.

Originally Posted By: yes
I've read a lot of the forums. Is the Mobil 1 synthetic euro formula my best bet for cost/performance?

That depends on whether you're still under warranty or not. If under warranty, then yes, you need to stick with a VW502.00 rated oil, which M1 0w-40 is probably one of the easier ones to find. You can also look for Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (made in Germany) that's often on sale for about $25 for 5 quarts and includes an oil filter. AutoZone and PepBoys carry it.

Quote:
I also checked out the availability of the filter at walmart. I found they had a Fram filter. It says "Made in Germany" on the filter. I'm assuming this means it is not the typical Fram quality? Should I use that filter or should I seriously consider something else?

How much does it cost at Walmart? Often times, you can get OEM filters at pretty good prices if you buy on-line.

What model and what year VW? Is the filter a spin-on or cartridge?

If you still have a warranty then you probably need to use WW spec (e.g. 502) oil. In that case then Mobil 1 0W40 is great choice - easy to find and reasonably priced at Wal-Mart.

I had a FRAM on my 1.8T, and it caused a startup noise until I changed it. For what it's worth...

I would not care where something is made, but rather how it's made, to what specs it's made, etc. You will want something with a good ADBV. Purolator always works well for me.

Originally Posted By: crw
I had a FRAM on my 1.8T, and it caused a startup noise until I changed it. For what it's worth...

The 2.5 is a very different engine and different filter design. It uses a cartridge filter. There is no ADBV on the filter. If there is something like an ADBV there, then it's part of the housing, not the replaceable filter element.

Quote:

I would not care where something is made, but rather how it's made, to what specs it's made, etc.

The point here is that if it's a FRAM made in Germany, then it means it's not really made by FRAM but most likely by some OEM filter manufacturer that actually knows what they're doing. :)
FRAM outsources the manufacture of filters which they have no capability of making. And that's a good thing in this case.

Also, why is this posted in the diesel section?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: crw

The 2.5 is a very different engine and different filter design. It uses a cartridge filter. There is no ADBV on the filter. If there is something like an ADBV there, then it's part of the housing, not the replaceable filter element.

Quote:

I would not care where something is made, but rather how it's made, to what specs it's made, etc.

The point here is that if it's a FRAM made in Germany, then it means it's not really made by FRAM but most likely by some OEM filter manufacturer that actually knows what they're doing. :)
FRAM outsources the manufacture of filters which they have no capability of making. And that's a good thing in this case.

Also, why is this posted in the diesel section?

wrong forum. Sorry, need to read more carefully. The Fram filter is $8 vs $12 for the OEM online. I was just thinking for convenience sake I could use the Fram if its acceptable.

OCI is 10,000mi. The car is a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta with a 2.5L gasoline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yes
The Fram filter is $8 vs $12 for the OEM online. I was just thinking for convenience sake I could use the Fram if its acceptable.

Give it a try, I guess. Pay attention to the rubber gasket. I've heard of cases where the gaskets on non-oem filters were of incorrect thickness/size and resulted in oil leaks from the filter housing/cap, but that was on a BMW using an STP filter.

A Hengst filter (one of OEM suppliers for VW) for your car can be had for about $9.50 on line, but you'll need to factor in the shipping, so it probably makes more sense to buy them in larger quantities.

Also, doesn't VW provide free maintenance nowadays for the first 3 years?

The FRAM cartridge filter is a repackaged MANN+HUMMEL. They work well, just buy it and save the extra money. The Mobil 1 0W-40 is available at some Walmarts, and at a good price, too. The problem with the PepBoys "5-quarts-and-a-filter" offer is that the deal is for a Purolator PureOne filter, which doesn't exist for this application. That means finagling a swap deal, if you can even get them to consider it...

Originally Posted By: rshunter
=The problem with the PepBoys "5-quarts-and-a-filter" offer is that the deal is for a Purolator PureOne filter, which doesn't exist for this application. That means finagling a swap deal, if you can even get them to consider it...

The AZ deal (which is a couple of bucks more) includes a K&N filter, but I'm not sure if they make one for this application either. You can always get a filter for one of your other cars, too.

Last edited:
The Fram sold for the VW 2.5L gasoline engine is very nice quality...It looks just like the stock oil filter except for maybe the colors.

In 09 it should. My wife bought an 08 just before this was introduced...

The first change, at least on her 08, prior to the free service was recommended at 5000 miles. We did it per the manual, and now per the computer, which I think is just a mileage counter. That said, for now, it is still recommending every 5k, not 10k per the manual...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

In 09 it should. My wife bought an 08 just before this was introduced...

The first change, at least on her 08, prior to the free service was recommended at 5000 miles. We did it per the manual, and now per the computer, which I think is just a mileage counter. That said, for now, it is still recommending every 5k, not 10k per the manual...

5K miles or 365 days is the default reset interval. Volkswagen had/has a dealer campaign to revise the software on the early cars sold under the maintenance program, so that the reset will be for 10K. Apparently they caught on that having the cars tell their new owners that they wanted an oil change twice as frequently as VW wanted to pay for one wasn't exactly the image they wanted to project.

aha!

extended the interval to save a dime?

The tech that I spoke to said that a syn oil is demanded for the rabbit 2.5, to prevent varnish formation over 5 or 10k miles.

I may move to 10k mile OCIs once we hit 20k... just go once a year...

The OCI has always been 5K for the first change, 10K for the second, and every 10K after that. Same interval as many of their other motors.

VW 502 is the right oil to use, which will be synthetic.

The computer is just a mileage counter and can be set to whatever they want it to be set to, really...

robert

Which is what I recall the manual to claim. That said, ours does indeed count down to just a 5000 mile OCI, so we've changed at 5000, 1000, 15000, and likely when we get to 20k, will see the same.

If it has been that way "forever"/for a while, it makes me feel better than just implementing it because they were going to start giving away free service.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If it has been that way "forever"/for a while, it makes me feel better than just implementing it because they were going to start giving away free service.

I believe you, my point was just that it can be set to whatever the tech wants it to be set to. To put it another way, it didn't come from the factory preset to 5K miles.

Nothing wrong with 5K OCIs if they make you happy and they're free! In fact, based on the UOA I got back on my wife's Rabbit at 20K, I will at least be sampling at 25K, if not changing the oil.

robert

My wife has a new Bettle with the 2.5. The after market filters I have bought,Purolator, STP and others were made in Germany.

Sometimes Mann sometimes Mahle. All have worked well on 10,000 mi OCI's

I've seen the Fram filters for Volkswagen engines at Walmart -- most of the time they are made in Europe but the prices are very high. I might buy Mobil 1 0w40 at Walmart, but I'd use NAPA Gold filters made by Wix for probably less money.

I don't know what the oil change interval is for the 2.5-liter engine. I think 5000 miles is too short, from what I've heard that engine has an oversized sump so it is very easy on the oil. Does it take more or less than 5 liters/quarts? If the owners manual says the OCI is 10,000 miles then that is probably a safe interval with the right oil. (That's what it says in my Golf TDIs manual and I could probably go even longer, except 10k miles is a nice round number.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back