Getting a new 2003 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a new to me 2003 Camry. It has 100k on it and I kind of know the person and how she drove it. She changed the oil, not sure about tranny fluid / coolant.

And advice or reommendations on what you would do with it? Or just drive it? I was just thinking more long term, want to have it for a long time. Any weak points that I should look for on that year or is she pretty solid all the way around?

I've got the 2006 Camry, and it's pretty solid. Not much goes wrong with it.

Do you have the 4 or 6 cylinder engine? My understanding is that the 6 cylinders have a non-interference engine, and hence have a timing belt which should be changed around 90k miles. The 4 cylinders have an interference engine with a timing chain that should last the life of the vehicle. If you have the 6 cylinder model, check the service records to see if the belt was changed.

The transmission fluid on the 2006 model is essentially a "lifetime" fluid (though if I recall the manual correctly, they recommend replacing it at 150,000 miles). Check to make sure it's at the proper level and is still pink/red. If it's not, or shifting is rough, have someone look at the transmission.

The coolant should be pink (it's the Toyota Super Long Life Coolant in the 2006, I'd imagine it's the same in the 2003). According to the service interval site (see below) from Toyota, it should have been changed at 90,000 miles. If not, it shouldn't be that expensive to do now. I'd stick with the Toyota-brand stuff just for peace of mind.

Obviously you should check all the various fluids to ensure they're the proper color and in the proper amount, as well as all the filters. The cabin air filter is behind the glove compartment -- squeeze the sides of the open compartment together and it'll swing downwards. The cabin filter is in a little tray. The engine air filter requires a 10mm socket (or a 10mm hex nut driver) to access.

Check other bits like the CV boots, hoses, spark plugs, and so on. Fix as needed.

Fortunately, the Camry is a rather low-maintenance vehicle. Do the services at the recommended intervals and the thing will last forever.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php will have all the factory-recommended service at the various intervals.

The serpentine belt tensioner is a weak point. It is common to find worn-out serpentine belts and tensioners on these cars. There is now an updated tensioner available from Toyota, but it's pretty expensive ($150+) since the assembly is hydraulic.

Water pump failures aren't uncommon. Luckily it's an easy job. Some unlucky individuals have had the bolts on the head back out, but that isn't too common.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The serpentine belt tensioner is a weak point. It is common to find worn-out serpentine belts and tensioners on these cars. There is now an updated tensioner available from Toyota, but it's pretty expensive ($150+) since the assembly is hydraulic.

Water pump failures aren't uncommon. Luckily it's an easy job. Some unlucky individuals have had the bolts on the head back out, but that isn't too common.

My wife has a 2002 (same model)4 cyl. The Serpentine belt is very beefy compared to my 1997 6 cyl belt. It has 8 ribs (wider) compared to my 6 ribbed belt. I did replace it, however, at 50K miles. It now has 56K additional miles on it and still looks excellent, so I'm going to wait another 20K miles to replace this time. Yes, tensioners can go bad, but the 2002 has 106K miles with no tensioner problem. Her car is BULLET proof..not a single problem since new. Don't know about the 6 cyl version of that year, but mine has been trouble free..even though it's supercharged
grin2.gif
If the belt has never been changed (ask the owner)..change it for sure. I now think they're good for 75K miles.

Last edited:
If it's a 4cyl, it's the same drivetrain in my HL.

I'd do a couple drain/fills of the tranny, drain/fill the coolant, new plugs and that's probably about it. Being anal I'd do the brakes and psf as well. You might want to clean the idle air control valve in the intake as well, if it's not hot idling well.

Otherwise, not much to these ones, you should be good for awhile.

2003 Camry with 100k? I would do the following:

1. Trans cooler line flush with the factory recommended fluid
2. Replace serpentine belt/inspect tensioner
3. flush engine coolant/inspect hoses
4. clean throttle body & replace pcv valve & air filter
5. flush brake fluid
6. switch it to PP 5w30 (or 5w20 if it calls for 5w20)
7. do 3-4 drain fills on the power steering pump reservoir
8. replace cabin air filter
9. replace spark plugs
10. inspect steering/suspension & struts

Last edited:
Change all fluids. Engine , trans, brakes, power steering.
But... drive it a week first, to see if she is in need of drastic repairs. If you already know the car, forgo this.

A battery is in your near future.

I'd go over the brakes real good - at least clean and lube them while you inspect them.

Timing belt? Consider a new one, with new pulleys.

Last edited:
I do not own a Toyota (yet). But if I purchased a vehicle of that age/mileage I would do the items PT1 list, and also clean the comutator, and replace the brushes and bearings in the alternator. And clean the comutator (including under-cutting the groves between sections), replace brushes, bendix, and grease up the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back